Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help adjusting after mods

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2002, 02:54 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Help adjusting after mods

What's going on. I'm not new to R/C, just to nitro. I used to race electric off road back in Chicago about 6 years ago, now I'm back, on the road with an HPI Nitro 3. After break in I decided to start playing around. I've got the CVEC pipe, HPI header, and the Dynamite "Turbo" (whatever that means) air filter. First off, it doesn't sound any louder than the stock pipe, which is no problem, but shouldn't more flow make some increase in sound (just like real cars)? Also it seems to be a little less responsive in the low range. I am a real rookie with carbs, I prefer fuel injection. I have the CVEC set on the factory setting (I think the 3rd hole), and I haven't touched the carb yet. It does seem faster and quicker on the top end. I haven't adjusted the carb yet because after installing all this, it still fired and ran smooth at idle. Any suggestions on how I should set this up and adjust it? Sorry for being long winded.
DJ
Old 12-18-2002, 03:14 PM
Tech Apprentice

just start adjusting the carb to the point where it makes the best power, feel, and sound while still running cool enough. i am pretty new also and just use the spit test to check if my temperature is ok. just put a drop of spit or water on top of the head. if it boils and spatters you are to hot. if it doesnt boil, you should be fine. i adjust my carb every time i start the car up.
Old 12-19-2002, 12:17 PM
Tech Chat Moderator

Default CVEC

Originally posted by wahturi
just start adjusting the carb to the point where it makes the best power, feel, and sound while still running cool enough.
Very well put. I run the CVEC on my nrs4 and love the pipe. I find it was much lounder than stock and my buds trinity pipe. It does have great air/exaust flow. I keep mine on the #5 setting(top end). You said any advice on how to adjust it . I dont know what u mean either the engine or pipe. Anyways, since your engine idles smoothly for a while, then you low end is almost if not already set. I set my low end after i set my main cuz if not it will give you a fasle idle and/or setting. First set your main so you get fairly descent power throughout the rpm range. Then lean it out very gradually (1/16 of a turn or less) till you see the smoke disapear when you are at WOT and at peak rpms but dont stay WOT for long cuz you can break the con-rod. Then richin it some since you want to set a faint trail of smoke when you are @WOT. Then what i like to do is run my car WOT then let it idle ffor 5 seconds then nail it. If it bogs then i lean my low end...if it misses or almost stalls i richen it. You want a nice and smooth take off from idle then you nail it. It does take lots of time and practice to learn how to tune good if your all alone like i was. Also after i tune my low and main, i like to run it like i usually do than as soon as it run out of fuel, i put a drop of water near the glow plug. If it boils right away then i's too lean(richen the main some). But if it just stay there for a while like mine then its fine. BTW too lean on the low end can overheat an engine quickly so be careful. AAbout your cvec i think you might have to slightly adjust your settings if you try a new hole(setting) out on the pipe. I keep mine for all out top end so im fine. If you have a leak where the 2 stingers or pipe screws into ,then you might want to get some high temp rtv sealent and put a very small amount on the threads. It works great for me.
Attached Thumbnails Help adjusting after mods-stsmt12-eside.jpg  
Old 12-19-2002, 02:32 PM
Tech Fanatic

i read on trinity teck talk from a guy called bountyhunter that says he helped design that cvec pipe and he says that using the pipe allows you to run much leaner settings than you thought possible im thinking you probably could lean it out quite a bit i dont think its going to get really loud but it does sound really low pitch in comparison to other pipes

you can go to trinity tech talk in the nitro forums there is a ask bountyhunter thread im sure he could help you setup the pipe
Old 12-19-2002, 05:28 PM
Tech Chat Moderator

The CVEC pipe does have a nice "rough" sound. As to leaning it out, make sure you dont overdo it and overheat and damage your engine. Tune on how well you engines runs like usual. Messing with the settings wont do anything as far as sound. It might chage the pitch but thats only cuz the way the engine is running either rich, lean, properly tuned, etc. Checking the setting on the pipe wont effect sound either. My CVEC pipe is lounder than my buds OS.21! You can get louder by running without a pipe but NEVER NEVER NEVER run without a pipe. It will overheat your engine in less than 30 seconds no mater how rich you run it. . You could "gut" the pipe and take out the internals but that would defeat the purpose of the pipe.
Old 12-19-2002, 06:15 PM
Tech Rookie

I am not really going for loud, I was just wondering about that. So far I haven't gotten a new carb, so I only have the stock high end adjustment that comes with the 15fe. Soon however I will buy it. All this high and low adjustments and such are a little sonfusing to me. If anyone is near the Nashville area and wants to help me out, cool. Otherwise I guess I can have the Hobbytown guys do it. Hopefully for free since I buy all my stuff from them. (Except the car) Anyway thanks for the input guys.

DJ
Old 12-19-2002, 08:57 PM
Tech Chat Moderator

The fe.15 doesnt have a low end adjustment. If you let someone else tune it, make sure you make them tell you why they are doing what they are doing so you can learn what does what. You dont learn to tune overnight ya know, it takes time and lots of patience