Originally Posted by impulsed
I have a Serpent Impulse which I have not raced in about 3 years. Is this car still competitive with a decent setup? I know it all comes down to driver skill, but would i be at a huge disadvantage with this car.
I have front and rear sway bars, diffs front and back, and a Mega 12 SE engine that is still very new.
It is the the streetspec, not the pro version.
Are there any parts I should get to make this car competitive (front one way, new shock towers, etc)?
If you have a IMPULSE, go to ebay and start gathering all the options that you can find from the new version called IMPULSE PRO or even the 705, both models are definitely out of dated, but does not mean they are not competitive....at the end, depends on WHERE are you racing, racing NATIONAL? Yes, if you are a master tunner and driver. If you are not, forget it, dont' race national...
If local club racing, does not matter...any car as long as move are good to race...I save some old time master racer was running a old HPI RS4 and can still be after all the fast guy....it is all drive, then the car.
I would say, $100 on ebay for some used or new but outdated parts, you can convert your Impulse to race plateform.
Here is what I think you should look for.
(1) Front carbon shock tower (Impulse Pro)
(2) Rear carbon shock tower (Impulse Pro)
(3) 2 speed gear box (Impulse PRO) for small track
(4) Centax I for bigger track - faster speed but need some good engine.
(5) Centax 1 used 2-speed gear box ( Item 4 and 5 is NOT a must have)
(6) Rear roll center stand off spacer 7mm.
(7) Front 1 way is for large track, if you are local race, your diff is OK.
(8) Impulse Pro carbon fiber upper deck
(9) Alum left side brace
(10) Alum right side brace with bearing pulley belt tenioner
(11) If use item #8, you might as well upgrade to the 5AAA receiver pack for weight saving...
Go to here and compare the IMPULSE PRO and the Serpent 705....705 is similar but it is quite a lot of chance from your IMPULSE, you might as well sell the IMPULSEand buy a used 705...but if you are selling, you might as well buy their latest 710 or others like NTC3, R40, V1RRR or MTX4....too many to choose.