Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rb 5-port Turbo V Novamega Ms 5-port Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2003, 11:10 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Rb 5-port Turbo V Novamega Ms 5-port Turbo

ok please help i have only 24 hours to decide!!! i have the choice of an "RB 5-port turbo" or a "Novamega 5-port turbo tuned by Micheal Salven" both engines are second hand but are in very good cond. the MS is very slightly more expensive, which one should i get? taking into consideration:- price for parts, how fast, quality and looks! also has anyone raced either engine and what do you think?

Thankyou very much, Deano
Old 01-29-2003, 12:59 PM
Tech Chat Moderator

Check out some other post in this forums. The rb 5 port is talked alot about. BTW, the last thing you should be concerned with is looks.
Old 01-29-2003, 02:01 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default RB

i know the RB is talked about i started the thread! lol!
Old 01-29-2003, 02:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Go with the Novamega 5-port turbo tuned by Micheal Salven. You'll get plenty of power and easy to tune.
Old 01-29-2003, 03:12 PM
Tech Master

Is RB made by Novarossi?
Old 01-29-2003, 03:18 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally posted by performula
Is RB made by Novarossi?
Yes novarossi make RB, top, rex, novamega,
Old 01-29-2003, 03:21 PM
Tech Master

Thanks.

I knew about Top, REX, and MEGA, but never knew about RB.
Old 01-29-2003, 06:45 PM
Tech Master

There are only really 4 major engine manufactures for R/C Car engines. Novarossi, Rossi, Picco and OS. All the others are just different versions by these companies to someone elses specs.

Personally, I dont think their is much between the RB and Novamega. Each is every bit as capable as the other and they both are easy to tune.

The way I look at it is that if you are new to Nitro or Top End race engines then I would stick to the RB as there is no point in paying extra for an engine that wont benefit you any more.
Old 01-30-2003, 08:01 AM
Tech Fanatic

modellor which of those is making the sirio engines

i thought i read somewhere it was novarossi's children

i think i would get the ms nova mega engine
Old 01-30-2003, 08:08 AM
Tech Adept

I have done a lot of research on these engines and I have the Rb 5 port X12, go with the MS 5 port if you can. The Novamega MS tuned engine uses a lightweight piston that is fully machined, not cast, and it is lapped to the bore of the sleeve for a better seal. The carburator is also the type that takes an insert so you can change the dia. of the bore for different tracks. Just my $.02 !
Old 01-30-2003, 08:28 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Thanks

ok thanks im going with the "nova mega 5-port turbo micheal salven"...breathe.
Old 01-30-2003, 08:36 AM
Tech Prophet

Here's my take. The ordinary RB 5 port engine does not have the crankshaft chromed unlike the MS. Both have single turbo scoop on the crankshaft. The piston sleeve of the MS is tappered at the bottom. The RB sleeve is straight at the bottom end (don't know what this difference does). The configuration of the 5 ports is also slightly different. Of course, the carb opening on the MS is something like can be found on the JP carb.

If you compare the Rody Tuned X12 5 port engine instead of the ordinary RB 5 port, then I would say it's comparable to the MS with the exception of the bi-turbo scoop on the crankshaft and the extremely larger carb opening than the MS. If I was to choose between the two, I would lean towards the Rody.
Old 01-30-2003, 11:06 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by ronin8451
I have done a lot of research on these engines and I have the Rb 5 port X12, go with the MS 5 port if you can. The Novamega MS tuned engine uses a lightweight piston that is fully machined, not cast, and it is lapped to the bore of the sleeve for a better seal. The carburator is also the type that takes an insert so you can change the dia. of the bore for different tracks. Just my $.02 !
Ronin:

Just some points to your affirmation:

Basically there are two piston types used by Novarrossi: Cast and machined from solid billet. Are quite different but what amazed me is your affirmation about the pistons of the Novas... All 'features' listed by you (machined piston, lapped to the bore) are available to all the engines made by Novarrosi in the past 6 - 9 months (more if some pistons came from other 'vendors').

Basically any motor made like the Novarrosi RS12 S3 have billet pistons. One of the greatest flaws made by JP was to use the S1 base to their tuned versions (mine JP S1 lasted a mere 50 minutes and less than 1.5 litres of fuel... Actual S3 piston/sleeve kits lasts longer thanks to their harder piston), RB uses billet pistons from a long time (not sure, but seems that RB was the first to use billet pistons).

Other difference about all Novarrosi based engines is their piston shape: flat type or domed (dished) piston. This later seems to be used only by Nova Mega in a threat of being more 'exotic'.

Isn't needed to say that S1 type engines (cast piston) are obsolete and need to be avoided like plague if you plan to have a powerful and healty engine for long time.
Old 01-30-2003, 11:26 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by Corse-R
Other difference about all Novarrosi based engines is their piston shape: flat type or domed (dished) piston. This later seems to be used only by Nova Mega in a threat of being more 'exotic'.
Dished / domed pistons on NovaMega engines? Any pics to differentiate the normal ones and the dished ones?
Old 01-30-2003, 11:33 AM
Tech Fanatic

you would notice a dished piston immediately the top isnt flat

burch used one at our sedan nats and it turned into a big deal when they couldnt figure how to measure his displacement

i dont know what it does but i know it was fast

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.