Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
Driving Style. *Throttle* >

Driving Style. *Throttle*

Driving Style. *Throttle*

Old 03-15-2006, 07:22 PM
Tech Adept

Default Driving Style. *Throttle*

I was watching a video of a guy driving his nitro sedan around a track and everytime he'd come out of a corner, he'd blip the throttle about four times or so. Is there an advantage to doing this at all? I know there's a setting on my KO Helios that can do this for me.

Thanks,

Dave
Old 03-15-2006, 08:36 PM
Tech Fanatic

He's keeping the engine rpm up. So, it won't loss power coming out of a corner.
Old 03-16-2006, 12:46 AM
Tech Adept

Higher RPM=better accelaration
Old 03-16-2006, 01:31 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by DaRollaRacer
I was watching a video of a guy driving his nitro sedan around a track and everytime he'd come out of a corner, he'd blip the throttle about four times or so. Is there an advantage to doing this at all? I know there's a setting on my KO Helios that can do this for me.

Thanks,

Dave
I think at least two reasons why :-

1- like redsand said, he's trying to keep the rpm up and ...

2- he's trying to "clean" the engine so that when he's ready to accelerate, it will be crisp and quick.
Old 03-16-2006, 01:59 AM
Tech Adept

Blipping the throttle like that is going to waste fuel and you get quicker lap times by being smooth on the throttle.
If you watch F1 you will see Schumacher and Alonso's totally different styles of how to accelerate around and out of a corner.

On one hand you have Michael blipping the throttle like crazy and then you have Alonso very smooth and gentle on the throttle but they are both same speed and lap times are virtually the same.

I used to blip the throttle alot to get around the track but i changed my driving style to being smooth and gentle on the throttle and my lap times have gone down about .5 of a second a lap.

But try both and you will for yourself, alot of the things people suggest won't work for you anyway probably even what i have said . Its better to try different things to see what works better for you rather than listening to people and just doing one thing.
Old 03-16-2006, 02:58 AM
Tech Regular

MS has one of the smoothest throttle going around. i saw they did a bbc driving show, show computer chart of MS vs john herbert when they was at benetton, and showed why they both had same car and why MS was faster than Herbert at every corner.

anyway bliping the throttle is an easier method to drive, but can be slower coz it unsettles the suspension.
Old 03-16-2006, 04:26 AM
Tech Adept

The past couple of F1 races i've been watching, 4 last year and Bahrain this year they show Michael driving and put up a graph in the corner that shows how much throttle he applys and how much brake.

Whenever he came into a corner he puts on brake then lets off and starts blipping it and the throttle graph is going up and down quickly. They then moved to Alonso and he rolls off and on the throttle smoothly in and out of the corners.

You can see he slowly eases off power and applys brake and then eases it back on rather than slamming it off and on.
Old 03-16-2006, 05:37 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Kyosho3PKRacer
Blipping the throttle like that is going to waste fuel and you get quicker lap times by being smooth on the throttle.
If you watch F1 you will see Schumacher and Alonso's totally different styles of how to accelerate around and out of a corner.

On one hand you have Michael blipping the throttle like crazy and then you have Alonso very smooth and gentle on the throttle but they are both same speed and lap times are virtually the same.

I used to blip the throttle alot to get around the track but i changed my driving style to being smooth and gentle on the throttle and my lap times have gone down about .5 of a second a lap.

But try both and you will for yourself, alot of the things people suggest won't work for you anyway probably even what i have said . Its better to try different things to see what works better for you rather than listening to people and just doing one thing.

I Agree with you 100%. A lot of guys told me to do this, and do that.
So i kept trying diff things. Until i found what works for me.
But at the same time i belive some of it is base on the car setup and clutch.
Old 03-16-2006, 05:55 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

IMO blipping the throttle is not the fastest way around the track, it tends to unsettle/disrupt balance of chassis to much. With that driving style you can never set-up your car for on power/off power because of too much weight distribution front to back.
Also if your engine/clutch is tuned properly it should clear out just fine out of every corner.
Just my 0.02 cents.

Gunit, what up?

Last edited by Jamie Corrado; 03-16-2006 at 06:14 AM.
Old 03-16-2006, 06:19 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Jamie Corrado
IMO blipping the throttle is not the fastest way around the track, it tends to unsettle/disrupt balance of chassis to much. With that driving style you can never set-up your car for on power/off power because of too much weight distribution front to back.
Also if your engine/clutch is tuned properly it should clear out just fine out of every corner.
Just my 0.02 cents.

Gunit, what up?
Yooo Whats good Jamie

Im all charged up for this Texas Race Have u seen the video??
Old 03-16-2006, 06:27 AM
Tech Regular

Yo Jamie
Dont forget to drop some more of that good info on me
before i break out kid
Old 03-16-2006, 06:40 AM
Tech Regular

Thumbs up

One of the primary reasons for blipping or modulating throttle in corners is to keep the car steering thru the corner. On four wheel drive cars, steering in general tends to be better with power applied than not.......kinda the opposite of 2wd cars. I agree that blipping has an unsettling effect on the car and your usually better off if you can modulate the throttle, but sometime the lay of the corners requires you to blip. I try to modulate if I can but sometimes blip.

Guint1, if your going to the Speedline race at Gulf Coast you will not be disappointed. A very fun track to drive that requires a consistent precise line to get good laptimes on. Great facility with very hospitable friendly owners. See ya there!!
Old 03-16-2006, 07:23 AM
Tech Adept

The past couple of F1 races i've been watching, 4 last year and Bahrain this year they show Michael driving and put up a graph in the corner that shows how much throttle he applys and how much brake.

Whenever he came into a corner he puts on brake then lets off and starts blipping it and the throttle graph is going up and down quickly.
I saw this too, but thought it may be engine electronics rev-matching on the downshifts. Could it be different ways that Renault and Ferarri implement their shift sequences?
Old 03-16-2006, 08:00 AM
Tech Adept

No, it's just MS (not Michael Salven...) doing that.
Or the electronics do a random number of blips....
Maybe MS was nervous....Kimi was getting closer and closer.....
Old 03-16-2006, 03:53 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by P2gee
One of the primary reasons for blipping or modulating throttle in corners is to keep the car steering thru the corner. On four wheel drive cars, steering in general tends to be better with power applied than not.......kinda the opposite of 2wd cars. I agree that blipping has an unsettling effect on the car and your usually better off if you can modulate the throttle, but sometime the lay of the corners requires you to blip. I try to modulate if I can but sometimes blip.

Guint1, if your going to the Speedline race at Gulf Coast you will not be disappointed. A very fun track to drive that requires a consistent precise line to get good laptimes on. Great facility with very hospitable friendly owners. See ya there!!
Thanks P2gee
It will be my first race for the season. I will be looking
forward to meeting you.
And that's what it's all about. Having fun.
I cant wait.
Ill be Flying in on the 29th.
Thanks again.

You have a PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.