Wiki Posts
Search

Question about SG shaft & threaded shaft on RS4 2/NTC3

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2002, 07:10 PM
Tech Apprentice

Unhappy Question about SG shaft & threaded shaft on RS4 2/NTC3

Hey guys, I need some advice.

I recently purchased the STS RS3 hand mod motor that comes with a SG shaft for my NTC3. Currently I have a MT-12 motor in there that I would like to transplant into my RS4 2 and replace the god forbiden .15 fe.

Here's my problem.

The Mugen MT-12 has the threaded shaft that I had to cut in order to fit the NTC3. Now the vented non-pullstart flywheel for my RS4 2 won't fit because the shaft is too short.

The RS3 .12 hand mod motor has the SG crankshaft and I can't seem to find the shaft nut for it for the NTC3. So I tried to put it onto the RS4 2 and the flywheel won't fit. Is it okay to drill out the non-ps flywheel in order for the SG crank to go through the flywheel?

So the question is, should I put the rs .12 hand mod into the RS4 and leave the MT 12 in the NTC3? Or should I replace the shaft on the MT-12 with a new threaded shaft and put it in the RS4 2. <-- Is this option expensive & difficult?

I'm a little confused to what I need to do in order for the RS4 2 to get to fit the SG crank because the pilot shaft for the rs4 2 doesn't look like it'll fit on the SG but the regular threaded shaft.

Ahhh I really need help on this decision. I don't want to overpower my RS4 2 and underpower my NTC3. Please give me your opinions. And if you guys know the parts numbers and prices(estimate) of the peices I would need, I would be very very grateful. I need the experience of the people on these boards to help make the right choice. I've made a ton of mistakes already, I'm gradually learning. It's a great experience. Thank you!

ProRacer03.
Old 12-11-2002, 12:13 AM
Tech Elite

Put the STS with the SG crank in the NTC3. It should fit with kit parts and no crank mods.

If I remember right the MT 12 non-SG crank comes with a 2 piece crank. The threaded part that you cut earlier can be unscrewed. It's basically a long setscrew. Go to a hardware store that sells metric screws and get a replacement that's the correct diameter and original length. This will allow you to put it in the HPI RS4-2

As for drilling out the flywheel to fit over the SG crank, don't do it. If you drill even slightly off center, the flywheel will not run true/concentric to the shaft and will wobble.
Old 12-11-2002, 10:25 AM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks for the info.. but I already drilled it out.. is there any way I can still save my flywheel w/o having to purchase another one?

This just goes to show another mistake I made w/o being patient. If I woulda just waited for the reply, I wouldn't have to buy another friggin flywheel!

Friggin A!
Old 12-12-2002, 11:11 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by ProRacer03
Thanks for the info.. but I already drilled it out.. is there any way I can still save my flywheel w/o having to purchase another one?

This just goes to show another mistake I made w/o being patient. If I woulda just waited for the reply, I wouldn't have to buy another friggin flywheel!

Friggin A!
Well if the hole fits the collet (cone shaped piece) and the flywheel runs true then you can use it.