R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 03-17-2006, 11:40 PM   #31
Tech Fanatic
Send a message via Yahoo to redsand

Originally Posted by Sow&Steady
Would that be Kenji Osaka? He blips like mad!
No, it isnt him. It is a guy who's just learning onroad. He used to be a long time off road racer.
redsand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 01:20 AM   #32
Tech Adept
Send a message via AIM to Kyosho3PKRacer Send a message via MSN to Kyosho3PKRacer

I think someone should go ask Michael what he actually does i really would like to know whether he does or not, but i'm going to have to believe someone that has been racing 10-15 years beforehand who said it on tv rather than someone on rctech i don't know, sorry.

I hope thats ok
Kyosho3PKRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 02:56 AM   #33
Tech Regular

not one method is faster the other, just do whatever method suits you.

Schumacher = smooth = multiple world champion
Aryton Senna = crazy tapper = multiple world champion
XingXing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 06:34 AM   #34
Tech Adept

At Bahrain:

Schumi used both brakes and accelerater in the corners at the same time.
Alonzo used standard pedal method (ie one pedal at a time)

Both work equally well. Can't use Schumi's technique in RC though.
darkangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 08:44 AM   #35
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Devastator
That noise you hear in F1 are the semi-auto transmission downshifting, not the drivers blipping the throttle. Any drivers in full-size racing never blip the throttle. Michael Schumacher has his throttle pedal set to smooth engagement. You don't blip a throttle on a V8, V10 or V12 that does close to 20,000rpm.
You obviously didn't watch the first F1 race this season....
Or you watched....but didn't see it..
Ridder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 02:12 AM   #36
Tech Master

I like how the subject of interest is F1 and not RC . F1's great and all, but I doubt much of it translates to our nitro cars.

Blipping the throttle is most helpful when I've got a car that pushes more than I like. If I need to tighten up my line, a couple blips will unsettle the car and get it to hook into the corner and get the front end pointed where I want it so I can punch out of the corner when my car is settled down again. This is all split second stuff of course, but with the perfect setup and perfect driving capabilities; smoother is faster. But perfect anything doesn't happen often/ever. If I want to coax my car to rotate a bit more through a corner I'll blip the throttle some. But if my car and I are in sync, smooth throttle and steering inputs will certainly get you faster lap times.

Another thing, if you overshoot or undershoot a corner, small corrections can be made by blipping the throttle, but as someone said, this really upsets the chassis' balance, which is just as important as where your car is located in the driving line. The best way I've found to really be on top of your car's balance is by making very smooth inputs so if you're in the middle of a corner and you need some more steering, you'll know you need about 10% more throttle to get a little more rotation or that you need to back off on the steering to get more traction up front because you're front tires are acting like plows when you're near full lock in the middle of a corner. When I'm fast, it almost feels like my car and my radio and me are doing a flowing and beautiful dance... decisive and flowing and very fast. Corny saying it like that, but that's all I can really relate it to, because if your car is cumbersome and you have to really fight with your radio to get around the track, you need some work and plenty practice.
Im2lazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 01:22 PM   #37
Tech Rookie

Final word on this subject.

My information about F1 comes from reading and listening to the people who know that have been there. Steve Matchett is Schumacher's former engineer when they worked at Benetton, where Schuey's won his first 2 titles, stated last season that Schumacher loves to have plenty of pedal travel. This allows him to have a smooth power increase when exiting a corner. And Kyosho3pkracer, if you don't believe me, go to Speedtv.com forums sign up and ask him yourself. I'm sure he can tell you what has already been stated. And I can't believe a guy that's been driving for more that 15years would all of a sudden start driving like a high-school kid with a new license.

And the telemetry data is transmitted at a low resolution to stay "reat-time" otherwise it would be on a delay more than it already is. Just watch the in-car camera shots when they are at a track with a lot of tall objects that interfere with the broadcast. Somecars can drive under a bridge and the shot might get brief static, then other cars will go through the same area and lose the shot all together. This is the same way the telemetry info gets to your eyes.

But go talk to Steve Matchett and he can enlighten you on the different driving techniques of all the drivers.

And to the guy that started this thread, blipping the throttle on your rc car is a good way to change the driving line when powering through a turn. Its a good way to make you look good when you make a mistake.

That's it.
Devastator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 03:07 PM   #38
Tech Rookie

Sorry guys, one more thing.

The telemetry info comes down to one thing, frame rate.

The engines in current F1 cars rotate about 300 revs per second. (fact)
Now the on-board computers have to record at roughly 300 frames per second.
The pit crews and the FIA receive information at a slower rate. That's why they download the info on to a laptop computer.
The television broadcast that all of racing fans watch at home comes through the TV at 30 frames a second. So your precious on-screen telemetry data registers in your brain at 1/10 the recorded speed.

You can see and register 30fps but you will not witness 300fps without a lot of help.

This is why the TV telemtry data is not very accurate. This is also why I enjoy watching F1. This sport has the best technology advancments hands down. And its probably why a lot of us race On-road rc.
Devastator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 04:49 PM   #39
Tech Fanatic

Bottom line the more your on the throttle the faster you are.....basically think of it this way....if you can go around the track full tilt with out letting off and still hold tight lines do you think youll be fast ? you bet you will be. The earlier you get on and the later you let off when entering is the fastest Imo.....
robert maestrey is offline   Reply With Quote