Wiki Posts
Search

Which tires do I get....?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2006, 03:40 PM
Tech Elite

Default Which tires do I get....?

Hi all..........
I'm used to driving and setting a car up on rubber tires.
Now I'm in the U.S I'm going to be running on foams and I'm not sure which kind to get.
Please make a vote and help me decide on a manufacturer to use.
I don't have the recources for alot of testing so I would like to make a decision and stick with one make of tire all season.
Your vote and comments would be very helpful as I am actually some what inexperienced with a car on foam.
Thanks in advance.
Tony
Old 03-12-2006, 04:30 PM
Tech Elite

Default how......?

how do you put a pole up here? I'm so thick sometimes.........
Old 03-12-2006, 05:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Its too hard to answer from one person. At least if you hope one person can give a true best tire and they cant, they will be biased just like everyone else. Including me...but I find im the rare breed that goes out and actually does a lot of tests. The poll idea can get you close. But ive seen large groups of people swayed by a certain product and I test it and find it useless. (just an example)

It really comes down to you what you think and drives best for you and your area. As you say your used to racing on rubber in your area. Well your new area will have new local racers and they are a good gauge of what to use....and either way if they are wrong. They are all wrong and you will at least be on par with them. So its a safe bet. You wont beat them , but at least you will join them right.

Also try asking a few local hobby shops see what they have to say. Allthough this notion might just net "what we carry products" over whats the best. But there are some cool hobby shop owners. So be careful. Id basically stick with what your local racers are running. Ask around , ask many. Also ask where they are getting the stuff.

But besides that.

Here comes my personal opinion.

My favorite tire right now is the Twister Tire. I did a good bit of testing , still have quite a few more to test. But the twister tires seems to work best for me. Amazing grip and drive. Id say it made my car run almost 2X better, I can really take it to the edge. Others ive tested , ellegi , jaco nitro shoes and a few others. I gotta check the box....but so far I like twister the best. Been sticking with them.

Also what climate are you running? Or better yet what state are you in?

Either or Id start with like a 37 shore tire all around and play around. Some like to run a harder tire up front. Like 37 shore front , 35 rear.

I just tried 35/35 on the twister tires and its been my best combo yet. I was using a one-way car on a parking-lot (tight and technical track) and I was blowing through the corners like never before.

Last edited by Artificial-I; 03-13-2006 at 03:45 PM.
Old 03-12-2006, 09:00 PM
Tech Adept

The serpent/jaco the rubber and the rim are the best on the market.
Old 03-12-2006, 09:04 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Artificial-I
Its too hard to answer from one person. At least if you hope one person can give a true best tire and they cant, they will be biased just like everyone else. Including me...but I find im the rare breed who goes out and actually does a lot of test. The poll idea can get you close. But ive seen large groups of people swayed by a certain product and I test it and find it useless. (just an example)

It really comes down to you what you think and drives best for you and your area. As you say your used to racing on rubber in your area. Well your new area will have new local racers and they are a good gauge of what to use....and either way if they are wrong. They are all wrong and you will at least be on par with them. So its a safe bet. You wont beat them , but at least you will join them right.

Also try asking a few local hobby shops see what they have to say. Allthough this notion might just net "what we carry products" over whats the best. But there are some cool hobby shop owners. So be careful. Id basically stick with what your local racers are running. Ask around , ask many. Also ask where they are getting the stuff.

But besides that.

Here comes my personal opinion.

My favorite tire right now is the Twister Tire. I did a good bit of testing , still have quite a few more to test. But the twister tires seems to work best for me. Amazing grip and drive. Id say it made my car run almost 2X better, I can really take it to the edge. Others ive tested , ellegi , jaco nitro shoes and a few others. I gotta check the box....but so far I like twister the best. Been sticking with them.

Also what climate are you running? Or better yet what state are you in?

Either or Id start with like a 37 shore tire all around and play around. Some like to run a harder tire up front. Like 37 shore front , 35 rear.

I just tried 35/35 on the twister tires and its been my best combo yet. I was using a one-way car on a parking-lot (tight and technical track) and I was blowing through the corners like never before.
Twister tires are very up and down when it comes to being the same shore. I had purchased in the past 37's and they durametered at 42. Jaco rubber is far better. You should never need 35 shore on a sedan thats like running a sponge.
Old 03-13-2006, 12:51 AM
Tech Adept

I personaly like the Jaco Nitro shoes they have nice planted grip on the track and they dont wear very quickly or chunk all at a reasonable price.
Old 03-13-2006, 04:10 AM
Tech Elite

Default mmmmmmm

Ok. well thankyou for your comments and ideas.
I'm running in the

midwest.Iowa and Illinois etc.
Guess

I'll have to do some testing.
Old 03-13-2006, 04:11 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Dan D
Twister tires are very up and down when it comes to being the same shore. I had purchased in the past 37's and they durametered at 42. Jaco rubber is far better. You should never need 35 shore on a sedan thats like running a sponge.
When you race in a parkinglot track you do. I tried the jaco tires. They wore quickly and never gave me the grab I wanted.

Thats why its best to go with what everyone is using at your track really. I just gave my personal opinion. I know others will have theres.

Il be sure to check the shore with a duro. Where can one easily get those btw?
Old 03-13-2006, 05:08 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I don't know where to get them but they are a few hundred dollars for them I think.
Old 03-13-2006, 05:29 AM
Tech Elite

Cool just found out my LHS has them for $79. Sounds good to me.
Old 03-13-2006, 06:21 AM
Tech Regular

not trying to hijack the tread or anything but i have a question about tires and what to use as well...Ok. so im getting the HPI R40 Hara Edition and am looking for a good shore to use. First of all my racing will ba parking lot or street so i am just wondering if i will be ok with rubber or is it best to go for foam? and if foam how do i decide what shore to use (do i look at the grip of the track and deside if it is high or lo grip and from that use a soft or hard shore???)

Are HPI Foams any good??

Last edited by cars.cars.cars; 03-13-2006 at 06:47 AM.
Old 03-13-2006, 06:48 AM
Tech Adept

Il be sure to check the shore with a duro. Where can one easily get those btw?
You can find durometers on e-bay all of the time, I've seen some go for $15-20.
Old 03-13-2006, 07:18 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by cars.cars.cars
not trying to hijack the tread or anything but i have a question about tires and what to use as well...Ok. so im getting the HPI R40 Hara Edition and am looking for a good shore to use. First of all my racing will ba parking lot or street so i am just wondering if i will be ok with rubber or is it best to go for foam? and if foam how do i decide what shore to use (do i look at the grip of the track and deside if it is high or lo grip and from that use a soft or hard shore???)

Are HPI Foams any good??
Yes hpi foams are good. Just exspensive. Also yes you decide on what your going to use on those factors as well as what temps you have.

Hotter temps = harder tire.
Cooler temps = softer tire.

If you use a low shore tire on a hot track it will burn up up more quickly.
Old 03-13-2006, 02:44 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by British Menace
Ok. well thankyou for your comments and ideas.
I'm running in the

midwest.Iowa and Illinois etc.
Guess

I'll have to do some testing.
Are you running the midwest series?
Old 03-13-2006, 03:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Try GQ tires, you won't be disappointed, best rims on the market!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.