Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
Recomendations for a good relatively cheap .12 engine? >

Recomendations for a good relatively cheap .12 engine?

Recomendations for a good relatively cheap .12 engine?

Old 03-08-2006, 11:06 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Ridder
Hmmmmm...in another thread you said you "heard" that someone broke a new conrod...
Seeing is believing..I hear a lot BS every day.

I can't believe that Serpent/Mega brings out a "new and improved" conrod without testing it....

But if they did...I would be very disappointed.
If Palmaris can produce a good conrod (I am using one), why can't Serpent/Mega/Picco??
I saw when the car blew the conrod. Then I talked to the driver at the end of the day and told me he blew the new conrod on the qualifiers then blew the old one on the main.

If your asking if I saw any of the broken conrods; no I didnt.

This was probably an odd case of Serpent's new conrod breaking, who knows...

All I know, Edgar has been running his Mega Picco with Palmaris's conrod for a while now, and so far he hasnt broken his.

If I aint mistaking, Palmaris conrod's are made from a different material than Serpent's conrods, which is I believe the key for their strength.
Old 03-08-2006, 10:55 PM
Tech Master

If he blew 2 different conrods in the same engine on the same day, it was either installing the conrod backwards or the pin on the crank was worn.
Old 03-08-2006, 11:10 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Hey guys...

Speaking of conrods....I just uploaded some pictures of recent tests my father (Palmaris) has been doing on different conrods. Go to www.palmarisracing.com and on the left navigation click on palmaris racing and than technology....scroll all the way down and u will see the pictures....if these type of pictures interest you...let me know and i will be more than happy to upload some more here on rctech for people to see the different stress areas as determined by my father and his friends....

Also as i know, most of the companys make conrods out of materials that use monodirectional materials....and We at palmaris Racing use multidirectional materials...this is the difference...for a more complex explanation you may want to contact my father..

Thanks guys!!

Leo
Old 03-09-2006, 06:33 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Riketsu
I saw when the car blew the conrod. Then I talked to the driver at the end of the day and told me he blew the new conrod on the qualifiers then blew the old one on the main.

If your asking if I saw any of the broken conrods; no I didnt.

This was probably an odd case of Serpent's new conrod breaking, who knows...

All I know, Edgar has been running his Mega Picco with Palmaris's conrod for a while now, and so far he hasnt broken his.

If I aint mistaking, Palmaris conrod's are made from a different material than Serpent's conrods, which is I believe the key for their strength.
I think the guys that are breaking the conrods need to focus on tunning a little bit more. I ran for the first time the mega zx12 in flordia at the winternats and was nothing but shocked. I have never seen a motor with so much torque and run so cool. i ran the same motor all week on a track that is on throttle constantly and had no problems. also the motor runs at 175 and makes more power then you can put to the track. The mega motor likes to run rich.
Old 03-14-2006, 11:18 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Yes, I've hearn nothing but favorable things on the Mega ZX12!!
Old 03-14-2006, 11:28 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Also, Brooklynhobbies is selling them for $209...
Old 03-14-2006, 02:42 PM
Tech Initiate

Hi guys, I have some questions that I hope someone can answer.

How does the Mega ZX12, RB V12 (not the Rody), and the OS 12TZ compare? Do they have a similar power curve? Which one is easier to tune or holds a tune better? Does one have a wider sweet spot than the other (tune range and power/gear range)? Is one more reliable than the other? Which one would be better for a nitro noob? Thanks
Old 03-14-2006, 03:26 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by RobertM

How does the Mega ZX12, RB V12 (not the Rody), and the OS 12TZ compare? Do they have a similar power curve? Which one is easier to tune or holds a tune better? Does one have a wider sweet spot than the other (tune range and power/gear range)? Is one more reliable than the other? Which one would be better for a nitro noob? Thanks
ZX12 Very fast and affordable. The motor likes to run rich which is good for newer drivers. The motor has more torque and top end out of the three by far and has more then most high dollar motors if not all.
Old 03-14-2006, 03:47 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Dan D
ZX12 Very fast and affordable. The motor likes to run rich which is good for newer drivers. The motor has more torque and top end out of the three by far and has more then most high dollar motors if not all.
ZX12 likes to run rich and
Old 03-15-2006, 08:07 AM
jag
Tech Master

Originally Posted by RobertM

I would say that the Mega is the fastest and has the best power band of the 3 but is probably the toughest to tune. In general, RB and OS are very reliable engines. I find my Mega to be reliable but I am using an RB carb on it. I would probably recommend the OS for you... as a noob. If you are patient and like to tinker you could try the Mega.
Old 03-15-2006, 08:10 AM
jag
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Dan D

Not only does it like to run rich, it also doesn't have a fuel milage problem.

It must be an efficient engine.
Old 03-15-2006, 09:39 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

The ninja .12 motors (MR12-T01) will be very fast out of the box with no mods. And the price will be competative comparable to any serio or novarossi based engines. These engines are scheduled for release mid-April.
Old 03-15-2006, 06:29 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default eng

mega x12 ,or sirio evo3 .for the money mega zx12 powerpack will be the best an wicked fast.
Old 03-15-2006, 06:53 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Roger
The ninja .12 motors (MR12-T01) will be very fast out of the box with no mods. And the price will be competative comparable to any serio or novarossi based engines. These engines are scheduled for release mid-April.
Have you see the engine running? So far no report about this... actually rumor is that is gonna take longer untile they release it.....

At the moment, in my opinion, Mega, OS and Sirio are on the same level.....
Old 03-15-2006, 08:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by miker2209
Have you see the engine running? So far no report about this... actually rumor is that is gonna take longer untile they release it.....
No, I haven't seen it run yet. But, I know of a very respectable teammate that have tested the motor. I also heard about the rumor that it may take a little longer than expected for the .12s to come out.