Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Paid Turn Marshals

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2006, 08:56 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Paid Turn Marshals

I would like some feed back on an idea that has been proposed to our club. The idea is for the club to furnish turn marshals at a major fuel on road event. This would include two days of qualifying and one day of mains.

Would you pay extra?
How much is it worth to not have to marshal?
Old 02-25-2006, 09:25 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I usually enjoy marshalling. There are those times when you need to fix your car but for the most part, I use it to reflect on the last heat. What I did right/wrong, watch the lines of other racers, and usually to BS with someone else who is corner marshalling. I think if you take that from the racers, it will be giving them an excuse to not give something back to the other racers.
Old 02-25-2006, 10:21 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I think most turn mashals that Ive seen arent responsive. Im sure it has something to do with just concentrating hardcore on there car for however many minutes , reflecting on the race won / lost , zoning out on the whizzing cars....

If it was their job , they would be more focused , ready , continually always doing it so they not only would be good they would get better as the day goes on to figure out where to run , where not to run , how to go about getting across the track and so forth.

Where some racer will be thrown off , not used to the area , wanting to work on their cars etc.

I think its a very cool idea and also gets outside people into the spirit of the race , while the racers can do their jobs and not have to focus on turn marshaling.
Old 02-25-2006, 10:38 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by CharlieJunkins
I would like some feed back on an idea that has been proposed to our club. The idea is for the club to furnish turn marshals at a major fuel on road event. This would include two days of qualifying and one day of mains.

Would you pay extra?
How much is it worth to not have to marshal?
At a " major Fuel On Road event", paid turn marshals would be worth very little if anything to me. At the major events with large attendance, the free time between heats is so large that I see no reason to buy the 5 minutes of time I spend marsahling. Also, if the marshals are paid, they better be damn good at what they do with no snoozing at the trigger. I tend to agree with Gixxer, I dont mind marshaling and you can really learn alot by sitting and watch other people drive for 5 minutes.

Last edited by P2gee; 02-26-2006 at 08:11 PM.
Old 02-25-2006, 11:33 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (94%+)
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by P2gee
At a " major Fuel On Road event", paid turn marshals would be worth very little if anything to me. At the major events with large attendance, the free time between heats is so large that I see no reason to buy the 5 minutes of time I spend marsahling. Also, if the marshals are paid, they better be damn good at what they do with no snoozing at the trigger. I tend to agree with Gixxer, I dont mind marsahling and you can really learn alot by sitting and watch other people drive for 5 minutes.
Great point, to get paid there should be certain requirments to be a turn marshal and one of is always stay alert to what's happening on the track & etc.
Old 02-25-2006, 11:57 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I agree that I don't mind to marshal, but at a major event, I wouldn't mind paying $5 extra for someone to do it for me for the qualifiers, but I want to do it for the mains
Old 02-25-2006, 01:29 PM
B4
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

This is very a interesting idea although it needs to be very well thought out. These are just a couple of things I thought of

1) A couple of additional marshalls that can take drinks around or let a marshall leave their spot to visit the amenities.

2) Designated start / stop and break times for racing. If your going to pay someone than these need to be defined.

The points above where just quickly thought of but I would suggest you think about the conditions that you are prepared to work under and you / we should not expect turn marshalls to have less.
Old 02-25-2006, 04:06 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I dont mind turn marshaling myself, i use it as a kind of break, form constantly working on my cars. I dont really like the idea of paying someone fro something we can do ourselves, its been this way doe decades.
Old 02-26-2006, 07:03 AM
Tech Regular

Default Paid Turn Marshalls

I don't think it wouldn't work very well. Picture a sunny 90 degree day with track temps around 130 degrees. Now figure you have to sit in the sun for 8 hours focusing on 20 or so heats of little cars going around and around for hours on end. That sounds worse than a factory job making widgets all day. I don't think anyone could keep focused that long. I know I would be either hynotized or snoring in my chair.
Old 02-26-2006, 07:43 PM
Tech Regular

I would pay for some one to marshall for the 20 to 60 minute main's. Especialy in 100 deg. weather.
Old 02-26-2006, 08:20 PM
Tech Fanatic

we have paid marshalls whenever we run at our tracks back here in the Philippines.. since we come froma third world country, labor is very cheap plus we get to help our fellow countrymen. but i dont mind marshalling at all
Old 02-27-2006, 06:52 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Originally Posted by P2gee
At a " major Fuel On Road event", paid turn marshals would be worth very little if anything to me. At the major events with large attendance, the free time between heats is so large that I see no reason to buy the 5 minutes of time I spend marsahling. Also, if the marshals are paid, they better be damn good at what they do with no snoozing at the trigger. I tend to agree with Gixxer, I dont mind marshaling and you can really learn alot by sitting and watch other people drive for 5 minutes.
5 min of a race, 5 extra bucks on the race fee, 5 extra tacos at the border, Priceless"
Old 02-27-2006, 07:21 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I always try to do my best and respond quick as a courtesy to other racers. The golder rule type of thing. The problem is, I don't think everyone thinks that way. I would probably pay extra if marshal's were furnished but I'd hope it's not necessary. How about have a few hired guns available that can be contracted by individual racers in lieu of providing for all racers/heats.
Old 02-27-2006, 08:41 PM
Tech Master

well, I know this will not happen but a guy can only wish,pay the local Hooter girls to marshal's. people might have a hard time getting around the track,but I'm sure they will remember the race for some time.
Old 02-28-2006, 12:41 AM
Tech Master

I could just see that. Guys would be crashing on purpose just to see the girls running around on the track!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.