Wiki Posts
Search

foam tires...Forward Bite? or is it me

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2006, 06:57 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default foam tires...Forward Bite? or is it me

I'm looking at something a little strange. I've been testing some tires and found a certian brand to have more "forward" bite. I ran same size, same shore, (checked with a shore guage) but different mfg.....one set of tires seemed to have more forward bite, but the same cornering ability.....

Is this just me or has somebody else noticed this? I tested Fast tires, Jaco's, Spyder and Twisters.
Old 02-26-2006, 09:21 AM
Tech Champion

Yes, I think its possible. Some tires companies have different recipe in making tires. So far foam tires made by GRP tend to be the best in the market. I'm using ZAC Kawahara tyres 6 spoke ( NOT the hard wheels - star type ). The foam is made by GRP said some people .... but I can't confirm that.

Another thing to look when choosing the tires is the softness of the rims. Soft rims produce more side grip and more durable against impact.
Old 02-26-2006, 02:07 PM
Tech Fanatic

Now the truth... All the rubber comes from the same place. GRP does not produce the rubber. It all comes from Japan. There are many factors that could affect performance such as wheels (already mentioned), age of the tire (a 35 from 6 months ago may durometer 40, but it still has the characteristics of a 35), inside diameter of the donut when mounted, heat introduced into the tire when trueing, etc. My guess is that it is either the wheel or you may have one brand that is "fresher" than the rest.
Everyone has heard the "we have our rubber made just for us" story from the various manufacturers. When you hear this, know that you have been lied to.