Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
ROAR 2006 'Open' Fuel Nationals  Cincinnati, OH >

ROAR 2006 'Open' Fuel Nationals Cincinnati, OH

ROAR 2006 'Open' Fuel Nationals Cincinnati, OH

Old 10-10-2006, 05:19 AM
Tech Apprentice

To stream to your computer double click link, but for best viewing right-click and save to your computer.

2006 ROAR Open Fuel Nationals Finals Start
Large File
2006 Open Fuel Nationals Finals Start (Large)
Old 10-10-2006, 05:41 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by tomkelley
It seems to me that there should never be 14 cars in an RC race, no matter how big the track is. If other steps aren't taken to enusure clean jump starts, then there should be no reason for 14 cars. Josh's car was hit by a car that appeared to be in 13th or 14th position. I assume the 14 was chosen to shorten the number of heats to put in the finals. This came about because of lack of daylight time and the number of participants. Therefore you either lenghten the daylight time, or shorten the number of participants. Other than using lights, ROAR could schedule such events in the middle of summer closer to the summer solstice.
our back straight is 285' long. it isn't the biggest in the world but it is close.
starting 14 on that straight is no different than starting 10 on a 200' straight.
the only reason the last 2 spots were around the corner was to maintain the same spacing as the first 12 spots. i haven't measured the distance between boxes but it is big. i would bet it is bigger than most tracks.
our drive line is 1230'. 14 on that track is no different than 10 on a 900' track.
during practice there were 15-16 people out at a time without much trouble.
why is it a problem to have 14 if the track and stand can hold 14? the problem at the start of that race wasn't the number of cars on the track, it was because one car started faster than everybody else and another car started slower than everybody else.
Old 10-10-2006, 05:55 AM
Tech Initiate

Car 5 started even later than Car 4 and so did some others. Look at the back of the grid cars 11-12 - watch it in slow motion and you will see they moved even before Car 6.
The problem that has not even been talked about is that 14 drivers are on the stand-elbow to elbow and in the equation for calculating space there has NOT been an accounting for race personal or referrees. Read the Nationals guidelines and a minimum of one referree is required.

ITS NOT THE SIZE OF THE TRACK THAT MATTERS - IT IS THE SIZE OF THE DRIVERS STAND!

Last edited by slewis; 10-10-2006 at 08:15 AM.
Old 10-10-2006, 06:38 AM
Tech Apprentice

Why not 14 or more cars?
If the track can handle it.
If the driver stand can handle it.
If the software can handle it.
If the racers are skilled enough to race together safely.

It does make a difference if a track has a 1200 foot running line compared to a track with a 700 foot running line.

Truly, only the first 2 or 3 laps are the most dangerous for the corner marshalls, be it 10 or 14 cars on the track.

It sure makes for a more exciting race if there are more cars on the track.

The only reason for the magical number “10” cars on the track was because of the limitations of the number of AMB transponders and scoring software years ago.

Last edited by rcbob; 10-10-2006 at 07:12 AM.
Old 10-10-2006, 06:39 AM
Tech Apprentice

What else do your want ROAR to do?
They had 2 officials at the starting line.
They reviewed the video of the start while the race was still in progress.
Their opinion at that time was no infractions occur. (a closer review of the video later proved it was the correct call)

It’s simple, one racer ANTICIPATED the horn and got a great start while the other REACTED 3/4 of a second after the horn and was also pointed in the "wrong" direction.

Last edited by rcbob; 10-10-2006 at 07:40 AM.
Old 10-10-2006, 07:00 AM
Tech Master

Great race guys.... Had a lot of fun and the track is awesome....... Scotty is the greatest anouncer ever... Than maybe Baker..KAKAAA!!!

Thanks
Rafael
Old 10-10-2006, 07:07 AM
Tech Apprentice

They work great together.
Old 10-10-2006, 07:51 AM
Tech Regular

Looked at the start video. I saw Kimbrough's pit man desperately trying to start his flamed out car before the start tone. He got it started and on the start box a split second before the start tone. I thought Kimbrough's car bogged on the start causing the mid track pile up, but the video pretty much shows he was a non factor in that incident.
The blue car mid pack did a most excellent job of anticpating the tone. I believe the prestart and start tones were activated by the scoring software so their spacing was consitent thru out the mains. Evidently this driver did his homework during previous mains and came up with a head count to antipate the tone. Good job on his part in my opinion, to bad about the result of it in the main.
I also give kudos to the last place qualifier for going to the inside boards and theading his car between 2 dead vehicles saving his to race on. Not sure but looks like he never lifted. Great driving!!
Just want to say I had great time.....great track, great food, great weather, great people, great racing. I will be back.
Old 10-10-2006, 08:00 AM
Tech Regular

Exclamation NEED HELP! Spektrum Module loaned! Couldn't find owner!

Hey guys!
Had a blast up there .... what a race! Great job TSRCAR!

I really need some help locating a racer! Sunday morning
before the race / mains I had some radio issues. I then
went to Anderson to try and obtain a Spektrum Module,
he then pointed me in the direction of a local hobby shop
/ dealer at the track / near the restrooms / out houses.
He was selling Mugen parts and bodies off of a peg board.
I do not know his name but he was out of stock and then
pointed out a driver pitting in front of his parts for sale. He
had an extra Futaba / Spektrum module and he loaned it
to me. I came back to return it to him and he had already
packed up and left and the hobby shop / dealer left as
well. I really want to return this to him, if you have any
info or leads to even the hobby shop owner, please email
me with their contact info to: [email protected]
or call me on my cell# 817-726-6425

Thanks for the help!

Terry Brown
Old 10-10-2006, 08:18 AM
Tech Master

In the Video there are 2 cars that look like they did not start on the back straight because you can see them coming on to the back straight after the tone can some one tell me what that is all about
Old 10-10-2006, 08:33 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by richey
In the Video there are 2 cars that look like they did not start on the back straight because you can see them coming on to the back straight after the tone can some one tell me what that is all about
There were 14 cars in the main and the starting positions wrapped around that back corner.

JEFF
Old 10-10-2006, 08:34 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Fastburn
id have to get a copy of it first
But it sounds like there is already a video that has everything we need to dwell on this for a long time.
Still want to see the video you saw - get a copy up here.
Old 10-10-2006, 08:48 AM
Tech Master

Just to clarify.....the time between the horn to set the cars down and the "GO" horn is down randomly. There was no precise interval in any of the mains.

The .001 was a lucky (?) guess.
Old 10-10-2006, 09:38 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I can understand anticipating the lights in drag racing because you know that the green light will come after the last yellow. However, in rc racing there is supposed to be no warning so that people aren't trying to anticipate and end up causing wrecks like this. How many races are going to have video cameras with super slo-mo with audio at a race? Do we make it mandatory to have them at level 2 races and above or what? How did he anticipate it anyway? Is he psychic? It was a lucky guess? It's because of this that we have false starts. When you look at the time that it takes for him to squeeze the trigger, signal to go to the reciever, reciever to send the signal to the servo, servo to move, carb start to open, then car start to move, there is absolutely no way he pulled the trigger after the horn. Anticipating the horn is just going to cause more false starts in the future and people are going to start demanding special video cameras at every race so we can waste time doing instant replays. Is there where we want the sport to evolve? I don't think so.
Old 10-10-2006, 09:42 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

T-Bodz,

Randy Kastl had the Mugen parts for sale. His shop number is 937-436-6161. You can check with him or T.J. about the person who loaned out the module.

Congrats on the concourse win!!

James

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.