Wiki Posts
Search

HPI: Nitro RS4-2 Set-up Tricks

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2002, 11:57 AM
Tech Elite

Default HPI: Nitro RS4-2 Set-up Tricks

To all HPI NRS4-2 owners;

I was studing the Set-up page from a Nitro-3 RS4 and noticed that HPI added some new standard camber link positions when compared to the older kit. (Nitro-2)

ANYWAYS, I decided to see how these new positions would work on my sons Nitro-2. What I did was to modify the inboard camber link mount to raise it like on the Nitro-3. This I did by re-drilling the mounting holes so that I could turn the inboard mounts around causing the ballstud to be higher (creating a position "D") as on the Nitro-3.
I then put the outer ballstud in the #6 position on the Rear Hubs and used the plastic camber links that come with the kit to connect.

This really made a difference in how well the car handles. The car is much better behaved in the corners than it was before. Less sliding and more steering at the same time. NO other changes were made. In all the years that we have raced HPI Nitros, NOTHING else has made such an positive impact on the handling as this change.
Try it and I am sure you will love the difference.

Last edited by popsracer; 12-10-2002 at 05:55 PM.
Old 12-10-2002, 03:39 PM
Tech Master

popsracer - That's a great tip. You should try to get a picture of the modification so that people can understand what you have done.
Old 12-10-2002, 04:39 PM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by rod_b
popsracer - That's a great tip. You should try to get a picture of the modification so that people can understand what you have done.
I agree
Old 12-10-2002, 05:53 PM
Tech Elite

Default Thanks guys

Guys;

I'll try to take some pictures later this week. The Sun hasn't been out much so I want to wait for the better lighting.
I'm so happy with the way it worked on my kids Nitro-2, that I'm going to try and find a way to do it on my Super Nitro too.
So far I only raised the link position in the Rear, but the Front on the Nitro-3 is raised also. I may try that later to see if anything else can be gained.

This may explain why the Nitro-3 cars seem to handle better than the older ones.

Last edited by popsracer; 12-10-2002 at 05:59 PM.
Old 12-12-2002, 01:38 PM
Tech Elite

Default Here's the Pictures of the Mod.

It is a REALLY simple thing to do.

Here is the BEFORE picture:
Attached Thumbnails HPI: Nitro RS4-2 Set-up Tricks-nitro-2-kit-setting.jpg  
Old 12-12-2002, 01:46 PM
Tech Elite

Default After the Mod

To turn the inner ballstud mount over, you need to drill the screw hole to 3mm's and drill the pin hole deeper with a 2mm drill bit.
USA sized bits would work too. Just keep the hole for the pin as close to 3mm's as you can to avoid slop.
The molded plastic Camber link gives you -1 deg. Camber instead of -2 deg. in the stock location. This is a better overall seting for the camber anyways.

Here is the AFTER picture:
Attached Thumbnails HPI: Nitro RS4-2 Set-up Tricks-nitro-2-modification.jpg  
Old 12-12-2002, 06:18 PM
Tech Initiate

I am looking at my HPI Nitro Racer 2 and it looks like if I try this my adjustable camber bar will rub up against my shocks. Is this mod for the HPI car that doesn't have the adjustable camber bar?
Old 12-12-2002, 07:47 PM
Tech Elite

Default Racer-2 Mod.

Speedoo;

Just use the upper hinge pin hole on the inner mount and the rear hub carriers are the same. It's been a while since I've had my racer-2, so I'm not to sure about any clearance issues. A little Dremel tool work can probably solve the clearance problem if any.
Don't make ANY other changes to your car when you do this. RE-set your Camber to the exact same spec. This way you will be able to evaluate the Camber link change by itself.
The biggest thing that I noticed when upgrading my Car to Racer-2 specs. was that the Car was more consistant and recovered faster from a misshap (crash).

Last edited by popsracer; 12-12-2002 at 07:53 PM.
Old 12-13-2002, 07:34 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Popsracer, nice to see some people out there still "tuning" the HPI stuff. I run an Impulse now, but still have kept my trusty Racer 2 to run challenge races and for my friends to have something to run. You can also try running the Pro 2 rear upper arm mount, you will have to shave a little so that it will clear the larger pulley used on the nitro cars.

Has anyone tried using the 24mm R series tires on 26mm Rims?
Old 12-13-2002, 09:01 AM
Tech Master

Nice work popsracer. It is refreshing to see people still tinkering with the ol' HPI. We should ask Robert if he can get a "HPI box stock" class. That would be fun.

JBrake - I used to run 24mm tires on 26mm rims. Works well. Firms up the side walls for less flex. I found that it was not anything I couldn't recreate with a firmer insert and inch-up wheels. It's a bit of a pain to glue though.
Old 12-13-2002, 09:27 AM
Tech Elite

Default HPI Nitro-2

Guys;

Well sorry to disappoint, but the Nitro-2 is my 8 yr old Son's car. I finally gave up on my HPI about this time last year and bought a Trinity Reflex N/T. Love it. The Reflex is so much easier to drive fast and it respond instantly to any set-up changes made. The HPI was always on the ragged edge with set-up. One little change and the car was S--t. Works good for my Kid though. Probably move him up to a Reflex sometime next year when he moves into Sportsman Nitro.