R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road-3/)
-   -   Battery Care (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road/101396-battery-care.html)

sharkonwheels 02-10-2006 10:34 PM

Battery Care

I haven't used my Nitro cars/trucks in a couple weeks. All seem to be waiting for a part or two, and I'm flying out of town for 8 days on business on Monday morning.

What should I be doing with my batteries to keep them right?
Leave them charged? half-charged? Discharged?

I used NiMH for my Rx's and Tx's. 6v 1200mah Venom humps for Rx, AA 2300/2500mah for the Tx's

Also, 7ah 12v SLA for power/starter box

Thanks!

Tony

MCRUZ 02-11-2006 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by sharkonwheels
I haven't used my Nitro cars/trucks in a couple weeks. All seem to be waiting for a part or two, and I'm flying out of town for 8 days on business on Monday morning.

What should I be doing with my batteries to keep them right?
Leave them charged? half-charged? Discharged?

I used NiMH for my Rx's and Tx's. 6v 1200mah Venom humps for Rx, AA 2300/2500mah for the Tx's

Also, 7ah 12v SLA for power/starter box

Thanks!

Tony

Regarding your NiMH packs u can discharge them if u like but they done really keep memory like the Nicd packs u use in your starter boxes. U can discharge your battery for the box though. Dont leave the others on a charger while your gone.

GrandeGixxer 02-11-2006 07:20 AM

You dont want to discharge them and leave them sit discharged. They can reverse polarity. either discharge them and charge them for about 5-10 minutes, or go ahead and peak them. Then when you get ready to use them again, discharge them and peak them.

Artificial-I 02-11-2006 04:11 PM

You only want to really discharge when your conditioning a battery. Basically cycling. Discharge , cool , then immediatly charge and use.

When storing batteries you want to not store them peaked or anywhere near that. Nor do you want them dead. You want to have them in the middle so whatever amount that will be leaked overtime wont allow it to get to low. Also check them monthly to make sure they havent gotten too low.

Your starter box gel cell is kinda like a car battery, doesnt need to be discharged... just dont let it get too low , but other than that wont need anything special. Just make sure its not near dead when leaving it. While also checking it periodically throughout storage time.

Kinda goes the same with all , just make sure they arent dead and arent near peak when storing. With the battery guys and the 6 cell packs. They usually say discharge them and then put about 500 seconds of charge into them at whatever rate you normally charge.

This practice should work the same for your gear minus the starter battery. Then when ready , charge them fully and off you go.

sharkonwheels 02-11-2006 05:34 PM

Thanks guys - 'ppreciate it. Still learning, and noone better to learn from, than those out there doing it!

Tony

MikeyG 02-14-2006 02:24 PM

Dang! I am glad I read this now...I discharged my batteries (just got a charger with the capabilities) last night. I hope I didn't mess them up...I will go home and charge them first thing this afternoon...

Solara 02-14-2006 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by Artificial-I
You only want to really discharge when your conditioning a battery. Basically cycling. Discharge , cool , then immediatly charge and use.

When storing batteries you want to not store them peaked or anywhere near that. Nor do you want them dead. You want to have them in the middle so whatever amount that will be leaked overtime wont allow it to get to low.

Your starter box gel cell is kinda like a car battery, doesnt need to be discharged... just dont let it get too low , but other than that wont need anything special. Just make sure its not near dead when leaving it.

Kinda goes the same , just make sure they arent dead and arent near peak. With the battery guys and the 6 cell packs. They usually say discharge them and then put about 500 seconds of charge into them at whatever rate you normally charge.

This practice should work the same for your gear minus the starter battery. Then when ready , charge them fully and off you go.

I did find out my starter box gel cell (Tower Torque master lead Calcium - not lead acid) battery does required FULLY CHARGED (at all time) even when it is not using......we have SNOW here in Winter, and I let my gel cell sit there for several months, and after winter and try to charge them, it will never take any charge anymore.

Artificial-I 02-14-2006 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by Rookie Solara
I did find out my starter box gel cell (Tower Torque master lead Calcium - not lead acid) battery does required FULLY CHARGED (at all time) even when it is not using......we have SNOW here in Winter, and I let my gel cell sit there for several months, and after winter and try to charge them, it will never take any charge anymore.

Yeah when you try to keep them fully charged it will probably lead to overcharging unless you have good peak charger.

I use wall charger and I just try to keep it in the green-yellow light area on my powerpanel display. You can kinda tell when a starter battery is getting low by the sound of the motor.

I had mine last a good while and was amazed it sat for like 2-3 months and was perfectly fine awhile after.

Then I found it almost went completely dead and stayed for a couple of days im sure like that. Afterwards it was pretty much done.