R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road-3/)
-   -   Engine Question... (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road/10125-engine-question.html)

ProRacer03 11-28-2002 11:56 AM

Engine Question...

I just cleaned out a motor an RS .12 that I just picked up. I had a question about the motor turning over, it seems like it's not turing over smootly.

Should it turn over smoothly? or should it be tough at about TDC or BDC?

Still a newbie but still learning too. Seems pretty fun to open up and clean a motor.

Any helpful hints on cleaning the bad boy?

tennessee 11-28-2002 12:21 PM

Is it a brand new motor or used?

Have you broken the motor in?

When you took it aprt ,did you lube the parts before you put it back together?

Did you put the piston in backwards?

ProRacer03 11-28-2002 10:56 PM

The motor is a new motor. I am cleaning the internals accoring to the instructions.

I lubed it w/ fresh fuel to clean and lub the internals. The first time in installed the piston backwards but I put it back to the right way.

After I replaced everything it seems like when i put on the head the crank is hard to turn over. it seems to lock on something. Then when I open up the head to inspect if anything is rubbing there a ring of sut around the top of the sleeve.

I'm not sure if it is supposed to be tough to turn the motor once i put everything back together lubed or is it supposed to be smooth?

popsracer 11-28-2002 11:09 PM

Tight Engine

Proracer03;

A new engine can and will be VERY tight at TDC. This is due to the fit of the piston and sleeve and is normal.
Buy some after-run oil for lubing your engine. (Marvel Mystery oil)
Fuel will attract moisture and can cause the internals of your engine to rust.
It will probally take a quart of fuel before the engine starts to loosen up some. Make sure the piston is at BDC when you stop running. If it stops at TDC and then cools down, it can be almost impossible to unstick the piston in the sleeve without causing some kind of damage .

tennessee 11-29-2002 08:03 PM

We must be on the same page pops because alot of people don't even think about doing that after they run they're motors 1/8 or 1/10:eek:

popsracer 11-29-2002 08:18 PM

Tight Pu.. Err, Engines

Tennessee;

It's amazing how much abuse you see/hear about on engines. It's funny, I WAS going to say that a little common sense goes along way. BUT really engines and motors can be scary stuff for the average person to deal with. I guess you and I are lucky to have it in our Genes.

Proracer03;

I try not to disassemble an engine unless it is absolutely nessesary. A teeny-tiny piece of dirt could ruin a $150-200 engine in a minute and most people just don't realize this. Go to the HPI website and review the "Engine Horror Stories" and you'll see what I mean.