Search
Like Tree26Likes

New Style Clutch for 1/8 GT

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2017, 06:27 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Default New Style Clutch for 1/8 GT

Our Italian friends have been working hard it seems on 1/8 GT clutches. Now these are borderline illegal in my view against most of the established GT rules which require the use of a 3 or 4 shoe buggy style clutch with radial style clutches outlawed.

Arguably though this isn't really a radial style clutch such as the Centax and is a very interesting design. Apparently from Giovanni Crea of the GIMAR company.

I really want one to try out as it is rumoured to be AWESOME!!

Anyone else seen one in action? Anyone know where I can get one as I can't find any more details about it online or on the GIMAR website.
Attached Thumbnails New Style Clutch for 1/8 GT-23621269_372864353168032_7119862289892949492_n.jpg   New Style Clutch for 1/8 GT-23658541_372864336501367_2839786353410145791_n.jpg  
GMartinez likes this.
Old 11-23-2017, 06:41 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)

Yes, werks has made these too. They come from the 2wd Pan car crowd, to ease with traction delivery. They are super, my Motonicas all have them. I highly recommend them, they are easy to tune, and the spring does not fatigue or break as much as with the regular 3/4 shoe offroad clutches.

Check Irwin RC. He has 2wd pan clutches.

http://www.irwinrc.com/category-s/18...show=50&page=2
dan_vector likes this.
Old 11-23-2017, 07:20 AM
Tech Master

Nice design, however I agree it should be considered illegal, since its definitely not a buggy clutch. I don't see how Italians can improve GT clutches since they don't even race GT What they race is completely different, and this clutch should find a place there.
dan_vector likes this.
Old 11-23-2017, 07:41 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by UrabusDenis
Nice design, however I agree it should be considered illegal, since its definitely not a buggy clutch. I don't see how Italians can improve GT clutches since they don't even race GT What they race is completely different, and this clutch should find a place there.
Yes I completely agree! This is what they were running at the EUROS 1/8 GT race last year even in the shaft drive class and EFRA didn't stop them. I don't believe it is certainly within the spirit of the rules however it is one of those things that if it is considered legal then it isn't worth fighting it - especially against the Italians!
Old 11-23-2017, 08:32 AM
Tech Champion

In the 90's when I still raced Rallye Game (Teknokit) we ran Centax single gear clutches. Granted Rallye Game has less restrictions.
Old 11-23-2017, 10:46 AM
Tech Lord

These clutches started with SPM about 6 years ago. They are legal in the offroad so it should not be a problem with he GT, also difficult to control. The base is still a centrifugal clutch, only the spring is different.
1evo RRR Driver likes this.
Old 11-26-2017, 06:28 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

There is no restriction on clutch in the 1/8 buggy class, so if the rules state "buggy style clutch" ......that would make any clutch legal
Old 11-26-2017, 08:54 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by 1evo RRR Driver
There is no restriction on clutch in the 1/8 buggy class, so if the rules state "buggy style clutch" ......that would make any clutch legal
Actually in Europe (EFRA) and UK (BRCA) rules there is a specific restriction to 'Only buggy based 2,3,4 shoe clutch. Radial type clutches are not allowed' and so to keep within the spirit of the rules I'd say that this particular style of clutch would be illegal at the European GP or IR. There isn't any buggy out there that comes with the style of clutch in my OP so it is not within the spirit of the current rules.

However people are using it and getting away with it and it does seem to be a significant step forwards and so I need to get one in order to keep up. It's the nature of the beast I guess pushing the limits of the rules will always happen and until it is expressly used as an an example of what is not permitted people will continue to use it. Besides the clutch is never checked during tech inspection anyway
1/8 IC Fan likes this.
Old 11-26-2017, 09:33 PM
Tech Champion

Dan is right, per EFRA.

Dan you got PM.
dan_vector likes this.
Old 11-27-2017, 01:22 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by dan_vector
Actually in Europe (EFRA) and UK (BRCA) rules there is a specific restriction to 'Only buggy based 2,3,4 shoe clutch. Radial type clutches are not allowed' and so to keep within the spirit of the rules I'd say that this particular style of clutch would be illegal at the European GP or IR. There isn't any buggy out there that comes with the style of clutch in my OP so it is not within the spirit of the current rules.

However people are using it and getting away with it and it does seem to be a significant step forwards and so I need to get one in order to keep up. It's the nature of the beast I guess pushing the limits of the rules will always happen and until it is expressly used as an an example of what is not permitted people will continue to use it. Besides the clutch is never checked during tech inspection anyway
As ther rules state no centax style clutches I’d say this one is fine within the rules. The main difference between centax and early style clutches is the way the clutch engages. This clutch still engages in a radial way, and is only centrifugal. The centax moves the clutch meterial axially and has a big advantage in rotating mass, especially as the diameter of the moving parts can be much smaller.

This is a much less complicated setup than the buku clutch in my opinion. And still needs a conventional clutch bell. From a performance perspective one could even argue the buku is more of an advantage as with buku you can adjust without removing the clutch bell.

The efra/ifmar rule is wrong in wording. As the buggy based clutch is actually a radial clutch. The clutch shoes move out radially.....
A centax clutch combines radial movement of flyweights and translates that into axial movement of the clutch shoe. So according to efra no clutch is legal.... Is a copy paste from roar that made the original mistake. Ifmar states no centax style clutches, which this nor the buku is.
Old 11-27-2017, 05:09 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Julius
As ther rules state no centax style clutches I’d say this one is fine within the rules. The main difference between centax and early style clutches is the way the clutch engages. This clutch still engages in a radial way, and is only centrifugal. The centax moves the clutch meterial axially and has a big advantage in rotating mass, especially as the diameter of the moving parts can be much smaller.

This is a much less complicated setup than the buku clutch in my opinion. And still needs a conventional clutch bell. From a performance perspective one could even argue the buku is more of an advantage as with buku you can adjust without removing the clutch bell.

The efra/ifmar rule is wrong in wording. As the buggy based clutch is actually a radial clutch. The clutch shoes move out radially.....
A centax clutch combines radial movement of flyweights and translates that into axial movement of the clutch shoe. So according to efra no clutch is legal.... Is a copy paste from roar that made the original mistake. Ifmar states no centax style clutches, which this nor the buku is.
True that.....the wording is fully wrong...
Old 11-27-2017, 06:30 AM
Tech Champion

Yes, even these newer clutches are considered Radial clutches by design. No track that i race at allows these in 1/8 GT. AMSC Augsburg, ORF Haßfurt, MSC Rötz to name a few, do not allow this. Most of the smaller clubs run random spot checks, and this is one item they check. The race directors all are veterans and do not play the open to interpretation game, want to race, race per common sense.

Last edited by 1/8 IC Fan; 11-27-2017 at 06:42 AM.
Old 11-27-2017, 01:03 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

My WRC 2WD pan car has the same exact clutch like this....and that car is probably 6-7 years old....legal or not, I don't see this clutch is any better or worst.
Old 11-27-2017, 09:18 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Why would a clutch design be illegal? Clutches transfer power, they don't generate it. As long as you're running the same size engine as everyone else, I'd think your choice of clutch design would be your own business, same as your choice of gear ratio and brake pad compound.
Old 11-27-2017, 09:24 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by fyrstormer
Why would a clutch design be illegal? Clutches transfer power, they don't generate it. As long as you're running the same size engine as everyone else, I'd think your choice of clutch design would be your own business, same as your choice of gear ratio and brake pad compound.
Clutch Performance varies wildly between different designs and one design could have a huge performance advantage over another one. The GT class was supposed to be a level playing field with control over the engine spec as well as several other areas and the clutch being one of them.

A good clutch will make a poor engine good and a bad clutch will make a great engine bad.

As you say, Just because the clutch doesn't generate the power it is responsible for transferring that power to the wheels and you have to match the clutch to the powerband of the engine and the type of track and traction level however the configuration of the clutch in GT is controlled. It is unfortunate wording in the EFRA rules that's caused some confusion. The clutch is a huge part of the setup and in some classes such as GT it is controlled.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.