Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
What buggy/truggy for this old Nova engine? >

What buggy/truggy for this old Nova engine?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

What buggy/truggy for this old Nova engine?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2017, 08:55 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default What buggy/truggy for this old Paris Novarossi engine?

What's a decent buggy or truggy (I've always wanted a buggy, but it seems many folks say truggy is more versatile) for bash duty exclusively? I've got this Novarossi from a Paris Racing circa 2000 that I bought on an impulse. It is NIB with all paperwork manufactured in 2000. Model BX21 SBK01 5-port short stroke with the goofy boost chamber in the backplate. I am unable to post in the engine-specific Nova engines thread, so I am posting this here to get a little more information. I don't know a lot about the engine other than what the literature says about it. There is little to no information about it online. I'd like to know a little back story about the engine - was it a basic sport engine or was it intended for racing? Was it a made-to-order type of affair for Paris or did they physically modify the engine? I'd like to use the engine - it's been in my drawer for a few years and it bugs me it's sitting there. I tried selling it several times with no joy, so I'm gonna use it. Buggy or truggy? Ideal header and pipe?

FWIW - the original price tag on it was $400.
Attached Thumbnails What buggy/truggy for this old Nova engine?-img_4700.jpg   What buggy/truggy for this old Nova engine?-img_4701.jpg   What buggy/truggy for this old Nova engine?-img_4703.jpg  

Last edited by RCTecher12; 09-11-2017 at 08:23 AM.
Old 08-08-2017, 02:30 PM
Tech Elite

Can't say if Ron would modify the engine, maybe it was an option.

Now about that engine, I have more experience with a version that has the green head, which for what I discovered won the Euro 2001 in a MBX4 or MBX4R by the hands of Dani Vega. The car I drove was a replica, which used the 086 tuned pipe if not mistaken.

My take would be a 2000's buggy, either a Kyosho mp6 or 7.5 Kanai or a TTR EB4 S2(purple aluminium parts to match the engine).
Old 08-09-2017, 09:27 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by 30Tooth
Can't say if Ron would modify the engine, maybe it was an option.

Now about that engine, I have more experience with a version that has the green head, which for what I discovered won the Euro 2001 in a MBX4 or MBX4R by the hands of Dani Vega. The car I drove was a replica, which used the 086 tuned pipe if not mistaken.

My take would be a 2000's buggy, either a Kyosho mp6 or 7.5 Kanai or a TTR EB4 S2(purple aluminium parts to match the engine).
The standard BX21 SBK01 engines had green heads AFAIK - which is what I've seen pictured in any of my research. I don't know if the purple head was specific to the Paris engines or not. The head (or rather the heatsink) has no cutouts or engraving of any kind. It's a rather boring looking heatsink if you ask me.

I'm on the fence about actually using it. I know to the right person it's valuable, but I'm not sure I'll find that person in my lifetime. If I did use it, it would be in a basher rig and because of that I would maybe lean more towards truggy. Unless I could get away with putting bigger tires on a buggy.

I didn't mention in my last post, but it has an fixed 8mm Venturi carb I believe, and it also has a third needle for the midrange.
Old 08-09-2017, 10:14 AM
Tech Elite

You could race that engine no problem. Especially club racing. I raced a 3 port version and won 3 A mains in a row at one point against tough competition back in the day. It might surprise you. I have a Crono RS 5 still in good shape. It is gonna lay a whoopin on some racers soon if all goes well. i would say a Nova Rossi 9886/long square header is what I used. But you can play with headers.
Old 08-09-2017, 01:40 PM
Tech Elite

You don't lose anything to race it, it was meant to be raced
1/8 IC Fan likes this.
Old 08-09-2017, 01:53 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)

Run the motor, set the carb on the rich side so you give it more lube and cooling. I would advise a torque based pipe, tuned for midrange vs. topend. You may either have to clearance the chassis for the boost chamber, or shim the mounts. either way double check your flywheel sizing, as if you shim up, you may need a bigger flywheel.

It will do fine in a newer buggy, it will do well with modern fuel. The Paris motors are rare, so perhaps if Rons signature is on the head, swap the head for a basic one.

I have motors by Rody Roem, that i still run in onroad.

Its a Nova so parts support, and knowledgable help is available, the guys here are great help.

I am sure the motor will easily run midpack, and suprise you.
Old 08-09-2017, 02:47 PM
Tech Elite

Agreed with the other replies, it still is a good engine, a short stroke like the new OS (if not mistaken, are they square stroke now?).

Oh, and that engine is from a time Novarossi and based engines lasted a stupid amount with just rod/bearing changes.
Old 08-18-2017, 11:59 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

At the time it was the Flagship Novarossi buggy engine.

Though at this point it was probably late-production given the purple head vs earlier Green heads. Fairly sure it was marketed under all 3 labels (Nova/Rex/Top).

Ideally find an old Laro buggy LOL or probably MP7 era.

If you run it, I'd use a modern Nova carb on it; 7mm insert/long LSN.

I'd also plug the boost bottle ports and/or change the backplate. Effectively doesn't do anything except add weight and lose torque off the bottom. It's minor but if I was running it, I'd plug/seal them.

16.6 bore, 16.0stroke. Likely a 13mm crankshaft at this time.

Plenty of power really. Pair with a Nova 9853 pipe for great midrange.
Old 08-19-2017, 04:35 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by mblgjr
At the time it was the Flagship Novarossi buggy engine.

Though at this point it was probably late-production given the purple head vs earlier Green heads. Fairly sure it was marketed under all 3 labels (Nova/Rex/Top).

Ideally find an old Laro buggy LOL or probably MP7 era.

If you run it, I'd use a modern Nova carb on it; 7mm insert/long LSN.

I'd also plug the boost bottle ports and/or change the backplate. Effectively doesn't do anything except add weight and lose torque off the bottom. It's minor but if I was running it, I'd plug/seal them.

16.6 bore, 16.0stroke. Likely a 13mm crankshaft at this time.

Plenty of power really. Pair with a Nova 9853 pipe for great midrange.
Thanks for the information! This one has a certificate stating a 2000 manufacturing date, so it was shortly before Rons passing.

Why change the carb? I believe this one has an 8mm choke area which is fine for what I would do with it. I have other carburetors on hand, but they are all short needle carbs which I'm most familiar with anyway.

The Boost chamber was going to get plugged - yes. I actually found a brass plug for the port under the carburetor already.

I'm not sure if it's got a 13mm shaft or not - I'll look into that though.
Old 08-19-2017, 05:42 AM
Tech Fanatic

I forgot to add - I'd want to use a Conical manifold on it, and I already have a 9886, Dynamite 086HS, and a Losi HT pipe which is basically a 053 variant. I'll have to see what rollers I can get my hands on. A guy at my LHS had something like a Hyper 7 or the like for cheap that needed some work. I've got some spare cheapie .26/.28 engines that I can beat on before I bite the bullet and run the BX21.

Since Nova stuff is fairly standard across their range, does anyone have a clue if a Turbo head from another engine will fit this engine? My concern is the head clearance.
Old 09-02-2017, 04:31 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Buggy!

I've got a near identicle version with blue heat heat. Dialled in turning eventually and it pushes a 3.5kg GV Buggy (basher) at 70+kph. Revs hard and blocked off both those extra nipples with crimped over fuel lines.
Old 03-23-2018, 05:59 AM
Tech Fanatic

I’m bumping this thread - reason being is like to see if anyone knows of a turbo plug head that has the same chamber dimensions as the stock head. My other Nova has a turbo head, so it would be nice to use the same plugs in both. I can post measurements of the head if anyone needs them. After looking the engine over last time and comparing to other mod engines, it would seem this is a spec engine and not a modified one; so some slight mods likely will be in store for it.

I have a line on an older Ofna buggy roller for chicken scraps. If it’s a basket case, I’ll find a more modern truggy instead. The bumpbox idea is a bit foreign to me, but I’m not opposed to it. I’m just a basher, so I don’t need anything fancy. Just something
Old 03-23-2018, 07:43 AM
Tech Fanatic

If you've never ran a Nitro RC that uses a bump box, your in for a treat. Yea, you've got to buy a bump box but starting a Nitro motor with a bump box is so much better than using a pull start or drill start. Just get that cheap Ofna and mount the Nova in it. Get a bump box and run it using a 4 cell Lipo. The Lipo battery will last forever on a single charge in the bump box and give lots of power to crank over any Nitro motor. After I got my first 1/8 truggy with a bump box years ago I wondered why I didn't do it sooner!
Old 03-23-2018, 08:12 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Micah78
If you've never ran a Nitro RC that uses a bump box, your in for a treat. Yea, you've got to buy a bump box but starting a Nitro motor with a bump box is so much better than using a pull start or drill start. Just get that cheap Ofna and mount the Nova in it. Get a bump box and run it using a 4 cell Lipo. The Lipo battery will last forever on a single charge in the bump box and give lots of power to crank over any Nitro motor. After I got my first 1/8 truggy with a bump box years ago I wondered why I didn't do it sooner!
This would be my first bump start Rc truck. All of the rest of my fleet are Roto/Spinstart or Pullstart; however the trucks I have can’t be bump started due to chassis interference. I don’t mind and actually prefer pull/Roto starting as the equipment for starting is small and far more portable. I can put the starter wand and glow driver in my pocket and off I go.
Old 03-29-2018, 05:55 AM
Tech Fanatic

My buddy sold the buggy chassis that I was going to buy, so I’m back at square one. I haven’t done a lot of research on anything else since I figured this buggy deal was a done deal. So now I’m looking around again for something different. I don’t race and likely never will. I just don’t have the time nor is there a track close enough to be worthwhile. So I’m looking for a good basher buggy or truggy. Probably truggy since they’re more capable. I don’t have a huge budget, so buying new probably isn’t in the cards. My LHS has a NIB Losi 8ight 2.0 race roller buggy for $350 that I could probably get cheaper than that, but I wouldn’t have anything leftover for electronics, bump box, or exhaust. Is the Losi 8ight 2.0 buggy race roller worth around $350 new? Is $150-200 a reasonable price for a good/decent truggy roller? I prefer Losi, so I’m limiting my options a little bit, but if the right deal for something else came along, I would be open minded about it. Anyone have any thoughts?

My choice of exhaust that I would use would likely be a 41032 header and a 9886 pipe most likely. I want to convert the engine to use turbo plugs too.

Last edited by RCTecher12; 03-31-2018 at 09:49 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.