Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Why we don't see race engineers in RC racing? >

Why we don't see race engineers in RC racing?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree29Likes

Why we don't see race engineers in RC racing?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2017, 01:11 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Old 03-06-2017, 06:27 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

JQ should hire the amg petronas guys to design his next buggy, sure to be winning design without stupid design choices. They are legit race engineers.
Old 03-06-2017, 02:28 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 30Tooth
Not so fast, he could have a job that wasn't suspension related. The mere fact he worked with them is a little assuring he knows more than the average Pro.
Yes his job WAS suspension related when working for the racing teams - he now engineers 4wd suspension for Toyota Australia (Hilux, Land Cruiser)...
Come back when you've got a clue little boy
Old 03-06-2017, 02:31 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JQ
So how exactly does the fact that my first car wasn't immediately the best on the market disqualify me from being a "real race engineer"?
The same way a guy with an engineering degree who worked for toyota on their rally & F1 teams isn't an engineer either.... you both have 32 teeth!!
Old 03-14-2017, 01:24 PM
Tech Adept

because its not worth their time and there's no money in racing RCs
Old 03-17-2017, 10:30 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

A couple years back I was trying to understand RC electronics, but instead of finding specs, I found companies like Tekin admitting that giving out facts was more trouble than it's worth. I gather that their attempts to give specs caused endless confusion, so they made things as simple as possible. They are protecting themselves from the burden of endlessly explaining things.

That being said, I found a small pocket of resistance--SMC racing. He's giving max amp draw ratings for packs now, instead of "c" ratings... This amp measure is cool, because amperage is something I can measure! And yeah, I will measure my amps. Not long ago I made a rig to measure IR, just out of curiosity.

Anyway, I think the answer is a resounding yes...there are engineers and technically qualified individuals in RC...but they're HIDING. We need them, but the average RC guy doesn't interface very well with an engineer.

I wish the hobby was more technical. Like right now I'm looking at re-building my collection, and I have a clear idea of what I want out of a car. But the mfgs don't tell me what I want to know. One important detail about a car is caster angle...but what is the stock angle, and what range of adjustment is designed in? It is hard to figure out. It is impossible in some cases, and just difficult in other cases. They want us to buy just because we love their brand and marketing. (Example, the Tekin website seems designed to appeal to the "Camaro with flames on the hood" crowd...which is a bit repulsive to me...even though I think they have a legitimately well engineered product.)

Oh wait! Holy crap...I've inadvertently exposed myself! I'll go away now. I'm sorry I keep trying to understand how things work and why!
30Tooth and dtr like this.

Last edited by fredygump; 03-17-2017 at 10:51 PM.