Wiki Posts
Search

1/8 LEXAN WINGS - weight & durability comparison

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2017, 04:27 PM
Tech Regular

Post 1/8 LEXAN WINGS - weight & durability comparison

Hello,

I came with an idea to collect information about 1/8 scale lexan wings in one place.
It would be nice to have a comparison with regard to:
  • weight
  • durability
  • weak spots of the wing and ideas on how to improve their durability

I'm specifically interrested in comparison of Proline Trifecta vs. Trifecta Lite vs Jconcepts Hybrid.

Has anyone weighed them?
Old 02-22-2017, 07:57 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Durability is really dependent on if you crash a bunch and how/who cut out the wing. I do crash a bit but my proline trifecta wings seem to hold up pretty good compared to a friend that really didn't seem to crash as much as I did. What I noticed was how the wing was cut out. I take my time and use my dremmel on the corners and all the edges, my friend just cut them out and let it rip. Well I noticed that many of his cracks and breaks were at points where his cutting was over lapped or in corners where there was a bit of a slice left if you understand what I mean. I did however switch to the plastic trifecta as it seemed to be the most durable wing I have ever used...
Old 02-23-2017, 05:23 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I have used the proline, lfr, and jconcepts. The proline didn't last long at all. The LFR did pretty good. But the JConcepts wing seems to be tough as hell. On my TLR buggy(with the plastic center piece), it seems to be holding up almost as good as the stock wing.
Old 02-23-2017, 07:23 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

j concepts works great! due to the center section being plastic, durability seems to be better than the rest. I say this as a heavy crasher and has lasted mutliple race evnets
Old 02-23-2017, 07:49 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Yall don't forget about the bitty designs wing! That lean wing is tough as nails and gives excellent down force/ flying characteristics! If not using my bittys I definitely go with the jconcepts
Old 02-23-2017, 11:52 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 123 (100%+)

I use the Pre-Cut LFR wing WITH the stabilizer, and find that the wing lasts a very long time. We had run one from the Wicked Weekend last fall until now. Last weekend was it's last race. and it went out with a victory!

If you want to shorten the LFR's lifespan, you can drill a bunch of holes in it, or not use the stabilizer. The holes obviously create a weak spot. The stabilizer helps keep the wing from flexing at seams over and over. It holds it shape better, thereby not creating cracks from frequent bending.
Old 02-24-2017, 02:27 AM
Tech Regular

Thanks Guys!

I like the JC design as well. The center piece looks good. Might give it a shot.

To people who have used both the regular and Lite Trifecta. Which one do you find more durable? How much lighter is the Lite version?

Have you had an opportunity to weigh your wings? I'm really curious about specific numbers!