Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree12Likes

Protek LS-5

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2017, 07:02 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

let us know how it goes, looking at this motor to upgrade from the Dynamite .21 rtr motor on my TLR 8IGHT RTR :-D
Old 04-12-2017, 08:11 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I've been running two. So far they're running well. Haven't put enough fuel through them to be totally certain but power and economy has been pretty decent.
Old 04-12-2017, 09:41 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Evoking1230
let us know how it goes, looking at this motor to upgrade from the Dynamite .21 rtr motor on my TLR 8IGHT RTR :-D

Will definitely do some reviews on it. Amain recommended I use byrons 25% Gen2 worlds blend for break in and racing for fuel.

Evoking1230, I Was very close to pulling the trigger on the losi RTR after seeing your thread and reviews on it. But I went the kit route after much debate. I will say that building the Kit was fun, and I could probably take it apart in no time. But at the same time, I'm still learning all of the different fine tuning techniques for suspension,steering, and all that jazz, and I've been looking at a rolling car with no engine or electronics for almost a month now....
Old 04-12-2017, 09:45 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by SpongeX
I've been running two. So far they're running well. Haven't put enough fuel through them to be totally certain but power and economy has been pretty decent.
I looked at the instructions/manual online at Amain for both the novarossi p5 and protek ls5, virtually identical. But I didn't see anything in them about engine break in procedure, did yours come with a Manual that has recommended break in procedures ? Seems like most all of the break in procedures and the break in bible sticky I've read on here and watched on YouTube advise use of a engine warmer which I did not opt to purchase, I've never used them on RTR nitro engines I ran in years past for break in, you can still break in an engine without one correct ?
Old 04-13-2017, 03:20 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Shady3275
I looked at the instructions/manual online at Amain for both the novarossi p5 and protek ls5, virtually identical. But I didn't see anything in them about engine break in procedure, did yours come with a Manual that has recommended break in procedures ? Seems like most all of the break in procedures and the break in bible sticky I've read on here and watched on YouTube advise use of a engine warmer which I did not opt to purchase, I've never used them on RTR nitro engines I ran in years past for break in, you can still break in an engine without one correct ?
It's possible but nova engines have a pretty good pinch at first. Easiest way is just to use a heat gun or hair drier.
Anunnaki likes this.
Old 04-13-2017, 01:36 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

The Tessmann's, Drake, JQ, and other pros have some pretty good tutorial videos on Youtube for engine break-in. There is a number of similar ways to go about it.
Evoking1230 and Anunnaki like this.
Old 04-17-2017, 07:23 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by SpongeX
It's possible but nova engines have a pretty good pinch at first. Easiest way is just to use a heat gun or hair drier.
Pinch would be an understatement. That engine had a dang death grip on the flywheel if the piston starts out at TDC. Lol but after a few tanks on break in it definitely loosened up some. If you don't buy the pre-broke in engine. Definitely get an engine warmer. My hair dryer didn't do squat for it
Old 04-17-2017, 08:16 PM
Tech Master

Will definitely do some reviews on it. Amain recommended I use byrons 25% Gen2 worlds blend for break in and racing for fuel.

Evoking1230, I Was very close to pulling the trigger on the losi RTR after seeing your thread and reviews on it. But I went the kit route after much debate. I will say that building the Kit was fun, and I could probably take it apart in no time. But at the same time, I'm still learning all of the different fine tuning techniques for suspension,steering, and all that jazz, and I've been looking at a rolling car with no engine or electronics for almost a month now....
Its cool, I wanted to go kit route as well, unfortunately, the wife would not let me spend that much money when we are trying to save for a house I'm rather happy with the RTR and already started upgrading key components and when Im done, it will be very close if not a full blown kit 3.0.

Annnnddd now I want a truggy or e-buggy
Old 04-17-2017, 08:20 PM
Tech Master

And yea, I've completely broken this down to bare chassis numerous times already, definitely know it inside and out
Old 08-03-2017, 07:18 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

So my return to nitro after 4 years off I decided this would be my first motor for my tekno nb.4, so glad I did. I bought the prerun version idled 3 tanks, 3 half speed tanks, 3 short full speeds tanks.... 1 rain delayed club race 2heats and 20min main then I was off to futaba challenge ....got over 8min easly and cleared the triple there every time ....0 flame outs it'll run 230-260 ...and has one of the strongest idles I've seen ....I went up from a 13t to a 14t and still had to soften the clutch once I put a race tune on it ....ran a 9901 w/41021 header actually going to try the 3mm shorter 41031 header on slick tracks to calm the bottom down even more and add some top end...
I've ran so many p5's and p5 copies over the years, something about this mito carb has me intrigued makes a little more run time and is easier to tune.....if you are having any problems reset the needles to factory settings ....in my opinion the mid range is super sensitive use half hour's if any ....
underway likes this.
Old 08-10-2017, 08:38 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by rkhess
So my return to nitro after 4 years off I decided this would be my first motor for my tekno nb.4, so glad I did. I bought the prerun version idled 3 tanks, 3 half speed tanks, 3 short full speeds tanks.... 1 rain delayed club race 2heats and 20min main then I was off to futaba challenge ....got over 8min easly and cleared the triple there every time ....0 flame outs it'll run 230-260 ...and has one of the strongest idles I've seen ....I went up from a 13t to a 14t and still had to soften the clutch once I put a race tune on it ....ran a 9901 w/41021 header actually going to try the 3mm shorter 41031 header on slick tracks to calm the bottom down even more and add some top end...
I've ran so many p5's and p5 copies over the years, something about this mito carb has me intrigued makes a little more run time and is easier to tune.....if you are having any problems reset the needles to factory settings ....in my opinion the mid range is super sensitive use half hour's if any ....

What type of fuel / % nitro are you running ?
Also which plug are you running ?

I believe it came with the C6TGC, which is what I've been using. I also picked up a C5TGN since AMain's website says it can be used in any temperature range but have yet to use it. Also picked up a CTO7, thought I might try colder plug since I live in Georgia and we have Very hot and very humid summers. Any suggestions on best plug for this engine ? I haven't been able to get the tunning down perfect yet, I think I'm missing something once I start trying to tune my low speed needle and idle screw, my car feels a little sluggish coming out of corners and on the bottom end, I noticed most other buggys on the track were pretty quick and snappy through the corners. In the main event of my first race, my engine kept dying every time I would land a jump, & I have yet to figure it out. I'm running it in a tekno nb48.3 with the stock 15t clutch bell
Old 08-10-2017, 07:05 PM
Tech Elite

What type of fuel / % nitro are you running ?
Also which plug are you running ?

I believe it came with the C6TGC, which is what I've been using. I also picked up a C5TGN since AMain's website says it can be used in any temperature range but have yet to use it. Also picked up a CTO7, thought I might try colder plug since I live in Georgia and we have Very hot and very humid summers. Any suggestions on best plug for this engine ? I haven't been able to get the tunning down perfect yet, I think I'm missing something once I start trying to tune my low speed needle and idle screw, my car feels a little sluggish coming out of corners and on the bottom end, I noticed most other buggys on the track were pretty quick and snappy through the corners. In the main event of my first race, my engine kept dying every time I would land a jump, & I have yet to figure it out. I'm running it in a tekno nb48.3 with the stock 15t clutch bell
Run the plug it came with c6 what ever and buy extra ... definitely change the plug after break in .....as far as tunning download the manual from it's page on Amain under product support,then reset the needles to factory settings ...I think I'm actually still pretty close to factory settings even after a gallon maybe a hour leaner on top and bottom....I'm running 25% vp .... motor has not flamed out at all on me but it did act a little weird if I tried going to far away from factory settings ...I was going to try to get 10min LoL.....if you're going to wicked I can take a look at it?
Anunnaki likes this.
Old 08-10-2017, 09:23 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

What pipe and header are you guys running with this motor? I picked on up to slap in my NB48.4 but I’ve not even built the buggy yet let alone started breaking in the motor. Current choices I have on hand are a Protek 2090 and matching header, a novarossi 41021 header and a 9901 pipe and 2096 pipe.

I’ve no idea how the 2090 would react with a nova based motor but I’ve ran the 2096/41021 with a p5xl and liked it a lot and this is very similar.
Anunnaki likes this.
Old 08-11-2017, 06:15 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by slodsm
What pipe and header are you guys running with this motor? I picked on up to slap in my NB48.4 but I’ve not even built the buggy yet let alone started breaking in the motor. Current choices I have on hand are a Protek 2090 and matching header, a novarossi 41021 header and a 9901 pipe and 2096 pipe.

I’ve no idea how the 2090 would react with a nova based motor but I’ve ran the 2096/41021 with a p5xl and liked it a lot and this is very similar.
I would run exactly what you ran on the p5xl ....I like the 9901 but I feel like for buggy I need the 2096 or something with a little more top end ...I'm going to try the 3mm shorter header soon on the 9901....an possibly an old school 086 ....I also would recommend sticking with 25% ...I tried 30 no bueno felt like a smaller tuning window and was like a light switch on power way too much for a buggy ... probably perfect for the Dirt oval guys LoL
Old 08-11-2017, 12:33 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I run Byrons 30% in this for my buggy..Definitely dont have a problem with too much of a hit ...Engine runs well but I was hoping for more bottom end as I was planning to run it in Truggy...For the $ it is good, very smooth but it will just be a practice engine for me as I prefer my Samurai for racing..I'm running a 6.5 venturi so might try it with the 7 in the truck but our track has some big jumps

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.