Community
Wiki Posts
Search

new to nitro with questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2016, 07:23 PM
Tech Rookie

Default new to nitro with questions

ok i was having a few beers in my buddies garage recently. I looked up on his shelf and noticed a nitro car. I asked him what he was doing with it and he said i can take it and try to get it going!!He also said it hasn't ran in about 8 years.
i got it home took it all apart and cleaned it up. after doing some research i determined it was a team vtx b1.
the engine is a vertex .26 roto start. i cant seem to find the factory settings for the hsn and lsn, nor the idle.
can anyone help me with this.
i have spend a few hours trying to get it going with no luck. i know it is getting fuel with no air leaks from the tank.
im not sure about the compression in the motor.
i could just go out and buy a new motor however i want to give this motor a better shot.
so far i have spent 37 bucks on glow plugs, ignitor and some batteries.
when i prime it with my finger over the exhaust i feel like i do hear air coming from where the air filter tube attaches. i haven't taken the motor apart and cleaned the internals..
any advice would be appreciated..
Old 12-19-2016, 10:17 PM
Tech Rookie

hi i was in your shoes just last month
from trying to get it to work i think the most important is the engine hasnt seized.. means its piston still can move and your roto start plate is able to spin and engage the piston..
flush the low speed needle and mid range needle if you have it.. for high speed needle just turn 3 full turns out.. the idle gap of 1.5mm for easier starting.. once you tame it, you can go down to 1mm spacing.. let me know what else you need
Old 12-20-2016, 04:51 AM
Tech Rookie

Thanks for the quick response.
The piston is not seized. It travels up and down as I crank it over. I let it sit in wd40 for a day before I started trying to get this thing running . I'll try the settings you mentioned later today and let you know how it goes. I'm also going to hear the motor with a hair dryer as well.
Do you have the same buggy??
Cheers
Ty
Old 12-20-2016, 05:02 AM
Tech Rookie

Thanks for the quick response. The piston is not seized it travels as I turn the engine over. I let it sit in oil for a day before I started trying to get this running. I'll try those carb settings later today and let you know. I am also going to warm the engine up with a hair dryer.
Are you running the same buggy??
Cheers
Ty
Old 12-20-2016, 11:23 AM
Tech Rookie

I heated up the motor with a hair dryer and put some fuel in the top of the motor and I was able to fire it up for maybe ten seconds then it died. I used your settings on the needles. I'll have to try again but busy until this evening.
Ty
Old 12-20-2016, 03:01 PM
Tech Rookie

I'm having difficulty getting it started but as I roto it if I pinch the tube to the carb it will fire. It won't run for long. This tells me that it is too rich??????? So I turn hsp clockwise a bit at a time. Now roto is dead.
I flipped the car to wxhaust side and I get a lot of fuel come out. and when it does fire it spits fuel out pipe

Not sure not sure if this is right, not sure if I should lean out lsn
Help please
Old 12-20-2016, 04:02 PM
Tech Adept

Obviously work the throttle if you get it started for a second, it will help to clear the engine out a bit if it is over saturated with fuel. Avoid over priming the engine or it will flood, if it does flood, remove glow plug, put rag on top of cooling head and turn the engine over. Other things to check would be clutch bearings. I would replace those anyways if it has been sitting for a while.
Old 12-20-2016, 04:34 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

since you are just trying to get it started and at least idle, the high speed needle wont need to be messed with until its at least idling good. The high speed needle wont effect the way it starts and idles. set the idle gap to 1mm and the high speed needle flush. the low speed needle should be the only needle to need to change to get it to idle right, never use the idle screw to change idle. it should idle nice and crisp, if it sounds fat or loaded with fuel, lean out the low speed needle, if it sounds like its starving for fuel richen it up. i wish i could be there to help you out, i could do it in 30 seconds if the idle is really high turn the lsn countercw if its choking or getting loaded with fuel, turn it clockwise. hope this helps!
Old 12-20-2016, 06:26 PM
Tech Rookie

Ok. I can keep it running if I'm on the throttle. It will idle for a few seconds and then quits. I keep leaning the lsn but I'm wondering how far I can go before I'm starving it. The wheels are not spinning at idle yet. I do see smoke and fuel coming out of the exhaust
I keep turning 1/4 at a time.
Haven't touched Hsn
Thoughts feedback
Old 12-22-2016, 12:45 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by tylerdunford
Thanks for the quick response.
The piston is not seized. It travels up and down as I crank it over. I let it sit in wd40 for a day before I started trying to get this thing running . I'll try the settings you mentioned later today and let you know how it goes. I'm also going to hear the motor with a hair dryer as well.
Do you have the same buggy??
Cheers
Ty
hi sorry got lost in the forum..
is there any way that i can bookmark this and get notifications?
Old 12-22-2016, 12:48 AM
Tech Rookie

Ok. I can keep it running if I'm on the throttle. It will idle for a few seconds and then quits. I keep leaning the lsn but I'm wondering how far I can go before I'm starving it. The wheels are not spinning at idle yet. I do see smoke and fuel coming out of the exhaust
Haven't touched Hsn
Thoughts feedback
from my experience, use a new glow plug use a 'hot rating' one
Old 12-22-2016, 12:52 AM
Tech Rookie

i its spraying visible lubricants out from the exhaust then its too rich..
a good guideline will be pinching the fuel line..
it should take between 3-4 seconds before the engine completely cuts out
too short a time, richen it (counter cw).. if it taked 5-6 seconds for engine to cut, lean it (clockwise) the low speed needle..
let it run awhile before repeating the process
do you have instagram? maybe can post pics/videos there
Old 12-22-2016, 12:54 AM
Tech Rookie

Haven't touched Hsn
Thoughts feedback
you will hear it idle very rough..
a rich mixture will be consistant and stable
use the pinch test method to give yourself a gauge..
if engine still quits, change a new glow plug
Old 12-22-2016, 12:56 AM
Tech Rookie

sidenote, ive subscribed to this thread
looking forward to be of further help
Old 12-25-2016, 03:42 PM
Tech Rookie

I can get it running now I drive it around for a few minutes while burping the throttle no problem. However when I try to open it up on the road after I go full throttle and come to a stop it wants to quit. Or quits ?
I still have lots of smoke.
I did the pinch test and the engine quit in about 5 sec.
But sometime to get it started I have to pinch the fuel line and then it picks up and fires. I had leaned out the hsn to the point where I tried to get on the throttle and it bogged starving for fuel but this is different. It's like if I power slide it and try to accelerate after full speed it dies. After it starts up again no prob??
I'm hoping it's the glow plug. I've been using the same one since I started with this thing. I got 7 coming in the mail so I'm anxious to try a new plug.
Also I do see some bubble in the line going to the carb. But when I blow on the exhaust line it ands fuel to the carb and it doesnt seem like there is any air leaks??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.