Wiki Posts
Search

Off season car for practice

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2016, 02:42 PM
Tech Regular

Default Off season car for practice

Hi Guys!
I'm looking for a car that I can run indoor just to get some practice.
What type of car do you run during off season and why? 1:10 buggy 2wd or 4wd? 1:10 Touring car? Is a 2wd prefered over a 4wd?
Old 11-06-2016, 07:39 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

1/10 buggy 2WD.
Old 11-07-2016, 01:19 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by robracing
1/10 buggy 2WD.
Why do you prefer 2wd buggy over 4wd?
Old 11-07-2016, 02:32 AM
Tech Master

If i couldn't run nitro during the winter I'd run e buggy if it were no e buggy i would go with 1/10 4wd to stay up on my 1/8th game..most will probably say 2wd buggy but for me the drive is totally different.
Old 11-07-2016, 03:14 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

If there is an EP version of your car I'd go down that path as you can use the setup skills learnt and apply it to your nitro during normal season.
Old 11-08-2016, 03:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Arctic RC
Hi Guys!
I'm looking for a car that I can run indoor just to get some practice.
What type of car do you run during off season and why? 1:10 buggy 2wd or 4wd? 1:10 Touring car? Is a 2wd prefered over a 4wd?
So many variables. Hope to help you as I was in a similar dilemma like you are. 2wd and 4wd buggies would keep your driving in check but they can teach you bad habits, with TC you can learn much more about setup and driving but how you drive them is very different from an Off road perspective. If the grip isn't that high, meaning buggies not running pin tires on carpet then a 13.5T motored 2wd would be my best advice as the car is simple to maintain and use, if the 4wd class has better competition then a 13.5T 4wd is my second advice. In the case of buggies running pin tires on carpet then I would recommend a 13.5T TC. The 13.5T motor is versatile in that you can "boost" it with dynamic timing and have a rocket or run static timing and have a smooth car that is alike nitro buggies.
Try and see if you can get a second hand car, that way you will be ahead on the setup thing.

In my case I choose all, I have several 2wd and 4wd cars and a TC the 2wd doesn't need much power (I used a tamiya 27T silvercan with a 5.6A lipo on its last legs) to hang on with a nitro buggy (I did stay in front of him because he tried too much to corner as fast as the 2wd and that's close to impossible lol). 4wd would be worse to learn as you can run ludicrous amounts of power and they are efficient on track, that's why I advised for a 13.5T motor. On my others 2wd I run an 8.5T motor that easily matches a nitro buggy driven by me on a good day.