Wiki Posts
Search

Racing etiquette

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2016, 07:06 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by E1 Diablo
You will not be able to drive fast if you're driving for vengeance. In fact, if you're driving to hack someone back you'll rarely ever win as your focus is entirely in the wrong place.

It's best to drive defensively. Be aware of the hacks and how to drive around them. There's not much better a feeling than a clean bumper to bumper race. You'll never get that race if you're looking to hack...
+1! Great post
Old 04-21-2016, 09:04 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I think the word hack gets thrown around way to much in R/C. There is hacking, there is crashing and there is making a mistake. Its all different version of essentially the same thing.

A hack is someone that doesnt care about bumping people around to gain a position. Someone who goes into a turn way to hot trying to gain a position is not a hack. They just got a little overzealous. It happens, in all forms of racing. If someone comes in too hot and takes you out and doesn't give the spot back, that does not make them a hack. It makes them a jerk off (pardon my french). A new guy that is struggling with holding a consistent line or struggling with car set up is also not a hack. He/She is new and struggling. I usually try to single them out and try to help them when I can.

I dont think someone should have to give a spot back in qualifying. After all, there is no "spots" Just get back to your lap. In a race it is a courtesy thing. But the problem is that if 3rd place takes out 2nd and puts them into a pipe, 3rd then passes 2nd but 4th is hot on his tail, he is not gonna allow 4th to pass him so he keeps on going. Can you blame 3rd? If it was not intentional I dont think so. Its racing. Stuff happens. The "courteous" thing would be for 4th to allow 3rd to give 2nd the spot back, but now you have 5th place coming to pass them all because they did not see the original incident. So should the whole field have to suffer?

9 times out of 10 I have seen "hacking" going on is because someone will not let the faster driver go by. If you are 6th place qualifier and I am 2nd chasing first and you dont at least attempt to let me by, I am gonna make my own way through. Period. Call me a hack. I dont care. I am going after the guy one position ahead of me, not the guy in front of me on track. If someone qualifies 1st by 3 laps over the field and hang themselves up on a pipe and drop down to 6th and you are in 5th and they come up behind you, you should just let them by, even though it is for position. You know for a fact that you can not hold that person off for an entire race. Why put yourslef in a position to get hacked? You know they are gonna take you out to get by you if they have to.

I have done it myself plenty of times. If I see a car that I know is faster than me, I let them by. Position or not. I would rather let them go and lose 1 position than to get into it with them and lose 3 or 4.

But in all reality, we are racing. There is adrenaline. Egos. Bragging rights. Vendettas. All of it. If you get "hacked" just blow it off. Dont get mad. You would be surprised how much more you enjoy playing with your toy cars when you dont care about where you finish at the end of the night.
Old 04-21-2016, 09:10 PM
Tech Master

I race 4WD SCT with the same 4 or 5 guys every week. We are all contenders for first place. We are all about the same pace. We race hard and close. We take each other out once in a while. We dont get upset about it, we just keep racing. I have never enjoyed racing as much as I have with these guys. If we take each other out we tell the other person to just catch back up and we give the spot back if they do. If they dont we just go about our business.

We have the entire place watching us race, people cheering people on, its amazing. At the end we all walk off the drivers stand laughing and congratulating each other. Every time.
Old 04-21-2016, 09:20 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

The worst case ive had of hacking, at our national series, tried making a clean pass twice on the same driver, first time on the inside he suddenly decided his line crossed my line, punted me off the track, fair enough that bit of track sucked for visibility, might not of done it on purpose. second time, coming onto the main straight, i took the wide line, he took the inside line, i accelerated harder then him so we were close in position but opposite sides of the main straight, as soon as he realised i was overtaking him he veered hard to the left, punting me into the pit lane. Thats a dick move, not only did he intentionally punt me off the track, he did it in such a way i nearly took out of a bunch of people (main straight, full noise, not expecting to get punted so i barely had any chance to break) In my eyes, the first time was fine, dick move but could of been an accident, second time he crossed the entire width of the track to run into me, very intentional, should of been a drive through but like someone else said, when has that ever actually happened? my point is, people seem to think 'defensive driving' is punting people off the track that are passing you, not holding the line to stop them. This was in a semi too, missed out on the main because of the 2 long ass punt sessions so i was pissed.
Old 04-21-2016, 09:38 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by BigReade
Well, as someone who fell victim to this, this past weekend, here's my take on it.

I qualified 4th for the main, and at the beginning of the race, I was able to snatch 2nd right away. As I was on the brake, trying to hang the corner tight, 3rd came up behind me, and never braked, just drove right through me. Being it was the beginning of the race, everyone was pretty close together still, so I had to wait for everyone to pass before the marshall could flip me back over. The guy didn't wait, and actually nailed me again, later in the race, ruining me once again. After the race when I said something to him about it, his attitude was basically "suck it up", so now I just know who I am going to punt, every time I get on the track with him. Etiquette seems to be as common as unicorns in the lower classes, so I am no longer gonna concern myself with trying to be a gentleman driver.
I've been there before with a few who seem to think they must use you as there brake. Punted the guy off the track into the parking lot. After that he never did it to me again. Also guys who do this rough driving all the time are first to cry about when done back to them.
Old 04-21-2016, 09:53 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

it happens to everyone all over the world.
You always get backmarkers that are slower that decide - because you are on their tail - you are racing them. Ive had it a heap of times - In the lead - lapping backmarkers and getting taken out by one or two of them.

Also - I find it annoying when Im having a good wheel to wheel race with someone - He turns me over(accident or not) and keeps going.. I personally would stop and wait to try and continue the racing.

As with one other fella on here - I have recently found the 4wd SCT to be the most fun and spectacular to race and watch. Full throttle - full sideways - Big Air. FAST! so much fun! I have a lot of VERY fun/close races in this class.
Old 04-22-2016, 12:26 AM
Tech Master

Maybe the tracks could write up a list of rules and penalties for violating them and enforce them! Race director didn't see it? Here's my GoPro video...
Old 04-24-2016, 05:51 PM
Tech Apprentice

I think for the Q's you need to let the faster guys go past. Just get out of the way. I see guys racing like they are going to beat them. JUST LET THEM GO. It's qualifying
Old 04-24-2016, 06:11 PM
Tech Apprentice

RC racing, like all other forms of racing should be an education. They don't just let out newbs on Laguna Seca with out some coaching. Like the guy getting punted into the pits said, it could have hurt some people. Some races you can only pass at certain points on the track. You learn control much more.

The faster guys get by and stay bye. But the guys who get by out of control and crash are a different story. They fell like a fly just bugging you at a BBQ. It's all about control, or at least that seems to be what everyone is talking about with tires, fluid weights, etc. If you have the control use it. If you are inpatient that is a different story. If you are truly better than the guy in front of you, he will make a mistake, they always do.
Old 04-24-2016, 09:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (98%+)

Here is my take on it.......if your in the middle of the pack in sportsman then stay...if your in the top 5 and you go up you might find yourself in the back of the pack and that can be even worse than running g sportsman because some of them should be in Sportsman and are even more out of control. Use the practice In sportsman as passing practice and driver awareness if you able to put a lap on the field then move up lol
Old 04-25-2016, 12:36 PM
Tech Elite

A hack is someone that is consistently running into people on the track, whether because they cant drive or dont have the patience to pass.

Sportsman is the beginner level or RC racing. There will be more hacking in that class as many or most can not hold a line and just work to keep the car between the pipes.

If you take someone out, I dont care where you are, practice, Quals or main, you should wait for that person. Even in Quals, correct you are not racing each other, but if you take someone out, its not cool to gain a spot while they drop. That like being rewarded for bad behavior.

The start of the race at ANY LEVEL is full of drama. Even the pros get jammed up in the first corner. That what puts pressure on the top three drivers to get away clean.

Now watching your car VS watching everyone. What separate most of us from pro drivers, is our driving skill. If you are beginning, I dont expect you to be all that aware of cars around you. But pro's know. Their vision has been tested and tuned during their many hours of track time almost daily. They also know and feel the car, and know where and how to break. They also keep their lines.

Now, if you are not on pace with the next division up, its not time to move yet. One quick laptime dont count. If you are on the podium each race, then its time to move up.
Old 04-26-2016, 06:52 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by My ST-RR EVO
Maybe the tracks could write up a list of rules and penalties for violating them and enforce them! Race director didn't see it? Here's my GoPro video...
Great idea, but good luck with that.

Noone enforces race rules and etiquette. I've even seen race directors rig the event in their favor, or their teammates favor. You can just make peace with the rampant cheating and rough driving, or be pissed off all the time.
Old 04-26-2016, 12:53 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Zerodefect
Great idea, but good luck with that.

Noone enforces race rules and etiquette. I've even seen race directors rig the event in their favor, or their teammates favor. You can just make peace with the rampant cheating and rough driving, or be pissed off all the time.
Fact
Old 04-26-2016, 12:58 PM
dtr
Tech Master

Originally Posted by My ST-RR EVO
Maybe the tracks could write up a list of rules and penalties for violating them and enforce them!
Usually works for us.
Old 04-26-2016, 01:13 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default Here you go

[QUOTE=Zerodefect;14506533]Great idea, but good luck with that.

Here you go
Attached Thumbnails Racing etiquette-image.jpeg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.