R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 03-31-2007, 09:39 AM   #1216
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

actually i was thinking they were stronger than steel but if not i want better under chassis screws than stock. stainless steel better? nitro house sells carbon hinge pins. http://www.nitrohouse.com/details_jdcarbon.htm. only thing about the lipo packs is the charger and the voltage regulator that gets expensive especially when you just got done getting new nihms lol.
mugenlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 10:11 AM   #1217
Tech Rookie

Tony, I thought ROAR banned banned the use of Lipo's this year?
HHHOGGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 10:33 AM   #1218
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Only from electric racing. ROAR allows li-po for use in nitro receiver packs and radios.

They say li-po is too dangerous to use in electric racing. I guess they either don't care about the danger posed to nitro racers, or the major sub C cell importers don't want to be put out of business by a mass move to li-po by electric racers.
fhm555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 10:35 AM   #1219
Tech Regular

Hey Mr P, how's tricks? I just traded for an MBX5, do you have a good slick, rough track setup for one?
Old 03-31-2007, 10:43 AM   #1220
Tech Rookie

Check this link for the ban on Lipo's. Is does state that they are banned in ALL r/c vehicles for ROAR events. Maybe something has changed since November 2006???

http://www.redrc.net/2006/11/roar-ba...ll-rc-classes/
HHHOGGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 12:09 PM   #1221
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHHOGGG
Check this link for the ban on Lipo's. Is does state that they are banned in ALL r/c vehicles for ROAR events. Maybe something has changed since November 2006???

might explain why all the set up sheets the guys use 1400-1600 2/3 cells. i bought the bigger aa one because i was under the assumption a 1400 would die in a long main...
mugenlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 01:45 AM   #1222
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHHOGGG

Lift from the ROAR announcement page

>>11/12/06 LiPo battery decision clarified.

For 2007 Lithium Polymer batteries are not permitted to compete with NiCad or NiMh batteries in electric class racing because the voltages are not equivalent nor do the pack dimensions match those currently observed by ROAR and IFMAR. This rule does not currently affect receiver packs at this time, however ROAR is concerned with the overall safety of these cells when located near or around flammable/combustible materials. ROAR will investigate this further.<<

ROAR Clarifies Li-Po statement. Article from REDRC
Old 04-01-2007, 07:37 AM   #1223
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhm555
Hey Mr P, how's tricks? I just traded for an MBX5, do you have a good slick, rough track setup for one?
Hi Joe,

How are you doing? Been very busy myself. Selling the house in NJ and can't wait to move to NC. On the setup, drop me an email at tony@tony1034.com. Is it an MBX5 or MBX5R?

As for LiPos, they are the future of R/C. I LOVE my Nitro engines for the smell and sound ....BUT, over the next few years you are going to see Li-Po and Brushless powered 1/8th scale buggies, truggies and Monster Trucks ripping up the tracks. I've already seen a MBX5 converted into a brushless with LiPo's and the car weighed well under 7 lbs. The torque from any electric motor exceeds most Nitro engines and the battery technology will have you running 30-minute mains without ever pitting. Plus you don't have to lug around flammable fuel. No worries about clutch life and maintenance. Most will only need one LiPo pack and balance charger. The brushless setups won't cost any more than a high end Italian race mill, but will last much, much longer than the 3-6 gallons most Nitro engines last. The batteries will be a bit pricey for the initial investment, but add up how much money any of you spend on Nitro fuel in one year and I bet it's 2-3 times as much. I also think it will draw a lot more people into the racing side of the hobby. Parents are more likely to get their kid a battery powered car before letting them play with Nitromethane and Methanol. Plus the cars are quieter and not a nuissance to some. Tracks have been closed down due to the noise from 10-15 Nitro motors screaming 35,000 rpm's around a track at once...LOL

I know most will say that they'll never switch, but when they see a 6 lb 1/8th scale that takes off harder than any Nitro powered car, accelerates up to speeds in excess of 60mph, runs for 30 minutes plus w/o pitting, is crazy smooth and turns lap times several seconds faster than any Nitro powered car on the track I think they'll be the first in line to buy one....LOL

Tonys Screws LLC
http://www.tonysscrews.com
High Grade Alloy Steel Screws, Screw Kits and Mugen Parts
TonysScrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 10:39 AM   #1224
Tech Regular

YGM Tony

I'm with you on the future of rc racing and li-po. I just picked up a 6000 mah 7.4V li-po pack and a mamba maxx rig for my losi xxx-t. The guy I got the battery from said I should get an honest 30 minutes of full pwoere run time from this rig.

I'll be next in line for an electric 8th scale. My first love has always been electric, but if you want to race around here it's pretty much nitro or nothing. That's changing somewhat due to a couple of local guys pushing 10th scale real hard, but it's still a lopsided majority of gas trucks showing up.

Several years ago I was at a state race in tennessee and an e-maxx was walking away with the MT a-main. He was so far ahead at the 15 minute mark he had enough time to come down from the drivers stand, change out his packs and reenter the race in 4th place. He got back up to second place before the clock ran out. I have no doubt he would have won if he had a pit crew.
Old 04-01-2007, 02:29 PM   #1225
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

What on/off switch is everybody running in their buggies?
Keeping racing fun and affordable with my 8y.o. twins :)
The best track I've raced is the one in my backyard!
jbrow1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 03:19 PM   #1226
Tech Regular

Airtronics 3 wire for me. For some odd reason it's the only switch I've ever tried that didn't glitch like crazy.
Old 04-01-2007, 05:16 PM   #1227
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Back at you Joe.

When I went to CRCRC last January 2006, the 4WD modified electric buggies (ZX-5, BJ4WE, XXX-NT, etc) were turning low 17 second lap times the week before the Nitro race. That was with brushed motors and 6-cell stick packs. I can't imagine how they would have ran on Lipos and/or brushless.

During the entire weekend of racing the Nitro buggies the following week, only Adam Drake and Ryan Lutz turned one 17.8 second lap each all weekend during qualifying. Most of the laps were 18.1 to 18.3 seconds for all the fast guys.

I'd still run my MBX5R and MBX5T but I would love a brushless & LiPo powered 1/8th scale

Tonys Screws LLC
http://www.tonysscrews.com
High Grade Alloy Steel Screws, Screw Kits and Mugen Parts
TonysScrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 07:07 AM   #1228
Tech Regular

When we first started racing 8th around here there was still a strong electric program going which included 4WD mod. Most people thought the nitro buggies were the fastest things running, but the printouts told the truth, 4WD mod electric was always the fastest class on any of the local tracks.
Old 04-02-2007, 07:33 AM   #1229
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Yeah, if you have the right track electrics are no joke. In some tracks 2wd buggy is faster than 4wd due to the way you have to be conservative in some areas with 4wd and bumps. Then, you get the large tracks and that's when 1/8 buggy and truggy are dominant.

I could see someone putting together a brushless 1/8 buggy kit someday. With all this new technology with batteries and what not.
warpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 07:55 AM   #1230
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

I have a friend that will be running a brushless/lipo 1/8 this year. It has two out runner motors (less power for the front) that are directly connected to the front/rear gear cases with custom cush drives, two speed controls. He can adjust brake bias front to rear on the fly and power feed too. I think he is trying to work out a traction control program so that the two seperate motors will act like a "smart" center diff. The thing accelerates like a 1/10 electric. If he gets it worked out for real race conditions I bet that no nitro vehicle will be competitive with it.

In mind and body, we're all heading towards old age. It is slower to go by bike.
Davidka is offline   Reply With Quote