R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 01-09-2006, 10:06 PM   #91
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

When you lower the ratio for more torque wont it transfer stress to other components like cvd and such on the buggy?

I have torque warped my car's chassis due to ridicilous torque.Twisted a pair of custom fabricated drive shaft after anticipating the increased torque.

maybe the increase of torque on the mbx5 is not that scary with the 11/38 gearings.
Old 01-09-2006, 10:06 PM   #92
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony montana
Tony you are correct, Personally I dont see the need for more acceleration. Tony I have a question, I see you have a mbx5 truggy. How do you like it? Im considering getting that or the jammin x1crt, But I kind of want to stick with mugen since I already have a prospec but I hear the x1crt just flat out corners better the mbx5t. Also what engine does most guys run in these things, .21's or .28's. Are the .28's legal?
I really like my MSR X5T, but I've done a ton of work to it (customs diffs, smaller spur, longer chassis brace, custom wheel adapters and soon longer arms and driveshafts. I'm always working on a project car and enjoy the customizing (that's what happens when you're married and not allowed out a lot to race all day/weekend ....LOL )

The CRT, MSR and LSP are all great truggies. They all have their ups and downs. The MSR was the truggy to beat last year. At the RC Pro Finals, Ryan Lutz (whom most never heard of) from Ohio TQ'd with a MSR X5T against Chad Bradley (Ex Mugen driver who dominated with the MSR all year to only switch teams two weeks before the finals and is now running for Jammin). Ryan only drove the MSR at two club races and two Pro Series races before the finals. Then in the A-main, Bradley and ex teammate Bobby Tillman (MSR) went lap after lap the entire race. Ryan came in 3rd place but I think he was out of the race for a few minutes to fix something. The CRT is awesome out of the box but it has gone through a few issues with quick wear on Uni's, outdrives, rear wing stays breaking and a few other gremlins. But I can say that the Jammin team is fully stacked and Jay Halsey is top shelf. Anything wrong with the car or truggy WILL get addressed and fixed as peeps run into trouble. Rumor has it that Mugen is working on a long arm truggy (most don't like the wheel extenders), as is Xray and shots of Kanai running a prototype 777 truggy due out in 3 months. Then you have the Hot Bodies LSP that's been around for some time and the new Hellfire coming out.

I run the Mugen for the same reason you're thinking...to share parts with my buggy. I refuse to lug parts for two different make cars in the pitbox to the track. It'll also cost you twice as much money. If you decide on the MSR, feel free to email me if you need any help.

Best regards,

Tony P.

Tonys Screws LLC
http://www.tonysscrews.com
High Grade Alloy Steel Screws, Screw Kits and Mugen Parts
TonysScrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 10:11 PM   #93
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by devious17
When you lower the ratio for more torque wont it transfer stress to other components like cvd and such on the buggy?

I have torque warped my car's chassis due to ridicilous torque.Twisted a pair of custom fabricated drive shaft after anticipating the increased torque.

maybe the increase of torque on the mbx5 is not that scary with the 11/38 gearings.
The 11/38 gearing will be noticable but not earth-shattering. I know a few guys that have dropped a Novarossi .28 XR 8-port in their MBX5's and if that torque didn't destroy the driveline, nothing will ...LOL

Tony P.

Tonys Screws LLC
Old 01-09-2006, 10:28 PM   #94
Tech Master

Thanks Tony P

Are these stock part numbers for mugen ? I called my LHS and they have no idea what these numbers are for

Are there any other alternative brand that I can just chuck into mugens bulkhead?

C0272 - 38T Conical Gear
C0273 - 11T Pinion Gear

I suppose these gearing goes to both the front and rear diffs.
Old 01-10-2006, 08:32 AM   #95
Tech Master

Yes, they are Mugen part numbers. Most hobbyshops will not stock them since they're not commonly used.

If you go to http://www.carolinasrc.com then click on MBX5 and then diffs, you'll see them.

Or, http://www.amainhobbies.com parts, MBX5 and then scroll through the pages.

Tony P.

Tonys Screws LLC
Old 01-10-2006, 06:22 PM   #96
Suspended

Tony screwz, I have a novarossi 421bx modified by jim from fusion motorsports.It has a jammin jp-2 header on a rex .086 pipe What did you have to do exactly to be able to run the 11/40 ratio?
ntro75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 12:43 AM   #97
Tech Regular

I looked for the Jason Ashton 04 Nats. setup on the Mugen site and could not find it. I read that it is a good starting point setup.
Most of the tracks I run on are in the region 5 area with a dirt, and claymix. I guess that sounds like every track in the country but I dont really know how to explan them.
If someone could lead me to a great setup or Jason Ashton setup it would be great.

ex Jammin driver
kyracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 05:20 AM   #98
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

You might have looked on Mugenseiki.com? It should be on mugenracing.com
It's a separate site for some reason.

In mind and body, we're all heading towards old age. It is slower to go by bike.
Davidka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 06:53 AM   #99
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntro75
Tony screwz, I have a novarossi 421bx modified by jim from fusion motorsports.It has a jammin jp-2 header on a rex .086 pipe What did you have to do exactly to be able to run the 11/40 ratio?
The pinion gears need to be machined so that they'll mesh with the 40T ring gear. I did it because I wanted to run a smaller spur gear in my MSR truggy with the tall MT tires. On a buggy, it would be geared crazy low.

The 421bx HotMod is an awesome top-end motor. If you're looking for low-end grunt, I'd look at a P5 or even better the new 21 plus 5. Been hearing awesome things about this motor. I think it's the motor we've all been waiting for: bottom-end like a P5, smooth throttle curve, 421b top end, better balanced, no need for aftermarket head and should last a long time if you're good with maintenance. For what you're getting for the price it's a much better value than the P5 or 421b. It'll be my next motor for sure! (EB Mod flavor though ).

Tony P.

Tonys Screws LLC
Old 01-12-2006, 11:58 AM   #100
Tech Regular

What does SUPER SILICONE #350 equal in WT oil?
kyracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 04:32 PM   #101
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

35wt I believe, correct me if im wrong
Old 01-12-2006, 05:10 PM   #102
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

guys, copy and paste from another website..

"Rumours are starting to circulate that, the new Mugen Buggy, expected to be released around 1 - 2 months before the WC will most likely be called the MBX-5 Prospec MarkII or Prospec 2 for short. Some new features may include, revised rear shocks, and a new shock material. Another feature to be rumoured is a new Steering plate, to increase overall steering in the car.
But more rumours are circulating that Mugen Seki, are also going to be releasing their own purpose built racing truggy. This truggy will come in two variations, in a Stock or Standard variation, and Racing spec or Prospec version. But no news on the name as of yet. Stay tuned for more info."
OrAnGe PoWeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 05:18 PM   #103
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrAnGe PoWeR
guys, copy and paste from another website..

"Rumours are starting to circulate that...."
yeah "rumours" spread from the website that posted it and perpetuated by people who want to beleive it.

In reality no one knows, mugen don't realease any information untill it is actually going to be released (usually 1 month prior)
XingXing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 05:29 PM   #104
Tech Regular

350 is equal to 40wt.
mremtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 10:54 PM   #105
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by XingXing
yeah "rumours" spread from the website that posted it and perpetuated by people who want to beleive it.

In reality no one knows, mugen don't realease any information untill it is actually going to be released (usually 1 month prior)

Exactly! I think that's why it's called rumours...
OrAnGe PoWeR is offline   Reply With Quote