R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 02-07-2007, 09:10 PM   #1006
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hey i kind of like that idea of have a spare "lesser" buggy to practice with and try setups i think it time to look for a spare so thr r does not wear out to fast
gasman517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 11:04 PM   #1007
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 147 (100%+)

Might sell my MUGEN MBX5R PROSPEC, after the Dirt Nitro challenge in AZ, if anyone is interested....................
nobike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 11:37 AM   #1008
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

looks like i got burnt buying from the "Bay" the other day.

Trying to upgrade my Prospec to the 5R, which WAS going smoothly until the final step of equation (so far only spent 179$...w00t!), the steering assembly.

Being that it was Ebay, i knew I had a chance to get the whole assembly for probably 20 bucks....this ended up being true. I got the 5T steering assembly, thinking it would be the same as the 5R, for 21.01$. Not bad. Here's the problem.....

THE FRIGGIN ACKERMAN FOR THE 5T IS THE SAME AS THE OLD PROSPEC!!!! and not the same as the 5R, with its -1 offset....im bummin...

Anybody got a 5R ackerman to sell for, hmmm, say 5 bucks? lol.
Crim3Wav3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 01:27 PM   #1009
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 170 (100%+)
Default rear grip?

first time out with 5r. loved everything except not much rear grip. are there some easy changes to do without listing my entire setup. 5-7-2 in the diffs. 400-350 in the shocks. shocks in the middle on top and outer on bottom. 2.9 swaybar. 3 degree tow plate. i had 16mm clips on the shocks. running switch 2.0 clay with orange foams. don't really know what anti-squat is. looks like inserts are in the middle. i just switched from the 8ight. seems like i could get on the gas alot sooner with it. any help would be appreciated
Reds racing USA.
patrick lsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 06:47 PM   #1010
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

How much fuel is on the car so far? The diffs need some time to settle in so that could be contributing. Sounds like you are running indoors, try limiting droop to.

In mind and body, we're all heading towards old age. It is slower to go by bike.
Davidka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 08:05 PM   #1011
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasman517
Hey i kind of like that idea of have a spare "lesser" buggy to practice with and try setups i think it time to look for a spare so thr r does not wear out to fast
I built a brand new MBX5 ProSpec for the Roar Nationals at the Farm 2 this past July. Ran six 10-minute pratice rounds and four 10-minute qualifiers. But after the hard rain I was not going to run my car in the mud and ruin my motor and electronics so I skipped my main, left and came home to NJ. I then ran the car at one club race (got there late and ran two 5-minute heats and one 10-minute main). The car is practically new. But then a few weeks later I bought a brand new MBX5R when it came out. i was going to give my son the Prospec but decided to just buy a second MBX5R , so I'm selling the ProSpec if you or anyone else is interested.

Since the MBX5R and MBX5T use the same new longer shocks, I'll even throw in a set of new shock shafts and a bunch of other spares (new in package) that I can't use on the 5R or 5T.

Anyone interested, email me at tony@tony1034.com

Best regards,

Tonys Screws LLC
http://www.tonysscrews.com
High Grade Alloy Steel Screws, Screw Kits and Mugen Parts
TonysScrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 04:59 PM   #1012
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick lsp
first time out with 5r. loved everything except not much rear grip. are there some easy changes to do without listing my entire setup. 5-7-2 in the diffs. 400-350 in the shocks. shocks in the middle on top and outer on bottom. 2.9 swaybar. 3 degree tow plate. i had 16mm clips on the shocks. running switch 2.0 clay with orange foams. don't really know what anti-squat is. looks like inserts are in the middle. i just switched from the 8ight. seems like i could get on the gas alot sooner with it. any help would be appreciated

Try moving your rear hubs back, lossening up the rear sway bar and move the rear bottom shock mounts to the inner hole stand the tops of the rear shocks up (I run the second from the outer most hole on the tower).

This will get you more forward and lateral taction in the rear from my experience. It might even make the front push a little on the gas because you'll be more hooked up in the rear. If your running indoors go way down on shock oil and re adjust spring preload so the a-arms are level.
ccs77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 03:44 AM   #1013
Tech Regular

Moving the rear hubs back will free up the car in the corners. It actually puts more weight over the front tires and gives the car more steering. It is not used to make the car longer. If you want more rear traction move your hubs forward.
kmorast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 01:00 PM   #1014
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (96%+)

Are there any actualy weaknesses on the standard mbx-5? I'm some what on a budgett and personaly I would rather get a cheap durable buggy that will leave me money for investing in to a great power plant. I know that the pro-spec was pretty much bullet proof, but how durable is the standard one? From what I have heard as long as you replace the ends on your braces every so often everything is fine.
party_wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 02:10 PM   #1015
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merciless
...if your still having trouble i know the XXXmain set-up book covers it
Anyone got a link to it on the hudy site?? Sorry, I couldn't find it
Capelracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 06:35 PM   #1016
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

The MBX-5 won the 2004 nats bone stock. The car can use a couple of upgrades, like King Headz engine mounts and better steering rack but the car is completely capable. I never saw the need for the pro-spec but I run on tracks with softer dirt so I never bent or broke shock towers.

In mind and body, we're all heading towards old age. It is slower to go by bike.
Davidka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 07:30 PM   #1017
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by party_wagon
Are there any actualy weaknesses on the standard mbx-5? I'm some what on a budgett and personaly I would rather get a cheap durable buggy that will leave me money for investing in to a great power plant. I know that the pro-spec was pretty much bullet proof, but how durable is the standard one? From what I have heard as long as you replace the ends on your braces every so often everything is fine.
Bro, i have 2 mbx5 standards and 2 prospecs., personally i like the standard better except just change or modify the tierod assembly coz it pops out after awhile., All in all its a good ride..., old horses never die!..,

xxx:.. im still saving up for the R...,,heheh ..,Mugen Maniac am i?

Stay Serpent...
sandrixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 11:25 AM   #1018
Tech Initiate

Where is barnes? Been a few days since he has been around to share set up tips.
Mugen 5r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 05:17 PM   #1019
Tech Regular

Yeah sorry, but I've been busy playin dad!! There's been a recent addition to Barnes Racing, this past friday Feb.9th at 6:51pm, I welcomed my baby girl- Rylee Kathryn Barnes into the world! She came in at 7lbs 4oz and was 21in long. I'll be on the boards from time to time checkin in, but I'll be busy changin diapers as well!

Here's a picture of Rylee in the arms of her Big Brother Chandler and one with Dad!

RYAN BARNES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 06:24 PM   #1020
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Congrats !

kaotickc is offline   Reply With Quote