R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 01-25-2007, 05:55 PM   #931
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Cool

Ok all you guys where right and i was wrong

Just changed my setup and now my shocks with 3mm of O-rings inside gives the correct droop.

I just followed you setup suggestions to the letter Ryan and gave the car a go out in the back yard on the grass, and it looks like it might be really good I have better turn in now.

And heres the best part. When i hit the gas on corner exit i have a slight understeer. Exactly what i wanted. Before you couldn't grab any gas coming out of a corner and the rear would just step out.

Might be different when i get it in the dirt but it looks promising.

So thank you all very very much for the help. I was getting really frustrated with the thing before. Hopefully it will be good on the track. Fingers crossed

Will let you know how it goes after Sunday

Cheers,
Tim.
Timox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 07:26 PM   #932
Tech Regular

Well I sure hope so, because with everything you were talking about even after my suggestions, I was starting to wonder if we were talking about the same MBX5R!
RYAN BARNES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 02:46 AM   #933
Tech Regular

Me too. I was thinking Mugen had given me the truggy

Well i have ordered one of those King Heads Ackerman plates. And some of those break disks and another set of break callipers to go with. Ordered a set of the grey long springs too and some Lois 8ight O-rings to go in the shocks. Oh and some more bushings.

So i should have the buggy all kitted up with bits to make it better now.

Are there any other mods or performance upgrades worth doing that i don't know about? I have put the 1.5mm spacers under the top arm blocks already.Any other little tricks ?

Oh and how long are you shocks on the front ? You mentioned you have 2mm of clearance between chassis and bottom of arm ? Is that the same front and rear ? So the rear has a lot moor droop than the front then ?

Thanks mate,
Tim.
Old 01-26-2007, 06:39 AM   #934
Tech Initiate

I have put the 1.5mm spacers under the top arm blocks already.

What is this your talking about??? Clue me in...
Mugen 5r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 08:43 AM   #935
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to Merciless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugen 5r
I have put the 1.5mm spacers under the top arm blocks already.

What is this your talking about??? Clue me in...
I believe he's talking about the rear upper hindge mount at the front of the buggy.

Some people put spacing there to make the top wishbone parrell to the lower one removing the reactive caster for the buggy.This apperently smoothes out the cars steering some what personelly i haven't tried it yet
Merciless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 10:42 AM   #936
Tech Initiate

I would like to see some pics. Still not clear on this one..
Mugen 5r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 11:12 AM   #937
Tech Addict

Couldn't you just put a front bushing in that had a middle hole?
SpeedBump57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 11:35 AM   #938
Tech Regular

Actually you do put the front (tower) bushing in with the middle insert, AND add the 1.5 mm spacer between the (low) set of hinge pin holders and the top plate. These are the same spacers that come with a kit for spacing out your servos. This is something that Chad Bradley came up with back when he ran for Mugen, it makes your buggy more responsive and helps keep it from traction rolling, and by lowering the rear you are maintaining a low center of gravity because it keeps the hinge pins, arms and pillow balls all lower to the ground which will allow you to carry more corner speed. If your still not clear on where to place the rectangle shaped 1.5mm spacers then PM me your email addy and I will send you a pic.
Old 01-27-2007, 02:06 AM   #939
Tech Regular

Is there a hand book on all this stuff ? On how to setup and adjust a 1/8th buggy ?
Old 01-27-2007, 02:58 AM   #940
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default set up book ,

hello .

yes theres the , xxxmain book , its for on road but works with any car , or go to the hudy site and download there book for free ,

mk,,,

MBX7 O.S SPEED , SANWA , FULLY BOMDED KEYSEY TURBO EDITION
keyesgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 04:05 AM   #941
Tech Regular

Well Ryan, Gave you setup a go at the track on Sundays race day.

It had too much off power steering entering corners. And a bit too much steering in general.

So i had to add some caster. Take a heap of droop out of the rear. Use the blue springs in the rear. Lay down the front shocks a hole at the top. Shorten the rear camber link to the top inside hole on the rear upright and go to the foward Ackerman hole.

Now its about right. Still got some good steering but just smoother and not so snappy and agressive.

Hopfully its now sorted for the Nationals next month
Old 01-28-2007, 09:40 AM   #942
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Well my kid steven had his second race with his 5r yesterday and he did better then his first race, he qualified 6th in the a main of sportsman and finished 4th with the fastest lap of the race. There were a couple of guys running in sportsman that should not be there most of the guys & gals are running on average 13 to 14 laps in 5min these guys are almost running 16 laps and in the main are 4 laps ahead at the finish.
We had a couple of issues with the buggy too, first we broke a front shock shaft at the piston and the back of the buggy is slapping the ground on some of the small bumps and really upsetting the buggy we are running blue springs and 350 weight oil but other then that the buggy corners well with good on and off power steering. btw we are running the setup that ryan sent us for his kids buggy. Any ideas on how to fix it without loosing the rest of the feel of the buggy
gasman517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 06:48 PM   #943
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Thanks Ryan"
rcmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 03:20 AM   #944
Tech Regular

No Prob Mike!

Gasman, if it's a somewhat bumpy outdoor track you may want to add preload clips on the shock bodies until the buggy sits at "bones level" instead of "arms level", Personally I run with "arms level" or just "slightly" above that, and this works great on indoor tracks but it will tend to bottom out on choppy sections of outdoor tracks.
Old 01-30-2007, 03:28 AM   #945
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default timox

timox , i see your racing your mbx5r at shepparton nats nexted week , we'll have to catch up for a chat ,

mike keyes,

MBX7 O.S SPEED , SANWA , FULLY BOMDED KEYSEY TURBO EDITION
keyesgood is offline   Reply With Quote