Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 12-22-2006, 07:29 AM   #706
ira
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mugenchad
How cold is "damn cold"? Bet we got ya beat up here
Track Temp two weeks ago here in Illinois was 20 DEG F, and that is a indoor track. The sweeper had a sheet of ice on it.
Old 12-22-2006, 10:39 AM   #707
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Yeah when you decide to yank the nitro off the shelf and go racing and you come home from the weekend with pneumonia from the exhaust and fumes in your lungs, and the two hour drive back home is just long enough to thaw your toes, that's DAMN COLD. I would love to be able to race year round, our indoor track closed and the closest for us would be about 6 hrs driving or so. Put your jeans and hoodie on an consider yourself lucky!!! Right Barnes!!!
cwalters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 10:58 AM   #708
Tech Regular

Hey Chad, I got that picture you emailed me of you building that practice track in your back yard up there in Michigan. How's that coming along, doesn't look like weather was stopping ya here!!

RYAN BARNES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 08:10 PM   #709
ira
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Hey Chad, you and Barnes should come out to Leisure Hours if you get the time. We would like to have you here, you can check out the site on the link below.

Later,
Ira
Old 12-22-2006, 08:39 PM   #710
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

What would you guys recommend setup wise for a med-size blue groove track ?
Would blue-groove typically be considered a smooth or medium surface ? I know it will vary track to track, but I am looking at a general idea.

Thanks
"D"
kaotickc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 09:02 PM   #711
Tech Addict

Yeah Barnes thats friggen sweet. So the track has about a 150 foot straightaway with two 40 foot doubles and 65 foot tabletop...
A lot of the local hillbillys like the monster trucks cause the tires stay on top of the snow better. But I studded up a set of crime fighters so I got the hook up... Got kind of a choice section where you can jump over my outdoor woodburner or go threw my wives begonia garden. But she don't care cuz they're froze anyhow...

Just playin. Damn I wanna go run some nitro. Crcrc would be my best bet for the big race but I've got zero time on the R and just sold my last nice regular MBX5. I was kind of hopin to get the setup close to the same and hopefully put it down there and have no problems. But Leisure or Columbus is about 6 hrs. aleast from here. Hate to run all the way down there and have things go crappy when I can just run in the backyard!!!

But we might take Ira up on the Leisure hours thing. I know Al and Jay and Mini Joe go there from time to time. Rumor has it one of Al's new factory tracks nitro races will be at Leisure next summer and I can't wait.

Ahhhhh, warm weather... Warm is 40 degrees for you Cali boys...
Old 12-22-2006, 11:30 PM   #712
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mugenchad
How cold is "damn cold"? Bet we got ya beat up here
It's been in the mid-20's overnight this past week... That's really cold for here. I had to buy a heat lamp for the bunnies.

It was in the mid-40's or so at the track. I know that's nothing for you midwest peeps, but for us west coasters, that's chilly. I was thinking I should have brought the heat gun.
Turbo Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 04:05 AM   #713
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default run it as last ,

hi ryan barnes .

well iv got to run my 5r and over the moon with it , and read back in this tread and learnt heaps of stuff thanks to you , now as you have said the 5r has lots of droop so iv taken out alittle more droop . as in the middle of the corner there lots of weight transfer . but pushes mid corner so i read what you said about rear toe blocks give more steering so il go down to 2.75 as im at 3.0 at the moment , as the track i run at is mid grip with lots of hard turns . and to day iv fitted the 1.0mm spacer in the upper arm mount rear side . will this keep more weight over the rear as well as helping tracktion rolling . as i have to wait years for the car to balance it self befor i can pull full power .

my set at the moment ,

front end .

oil 45w losi
piston 1.5
spring, kit gray
shock tower postion top , second hole in , bottom , out on arm
ackerman kit stock , mid, with two washers on the inside ball to keep the link straight
track 276mm
toe 1 out
front arm spacer , rear 2mm
camber , around 2
caster , all spacers in front ,
upper arm , lower in tower , low block in rear with the 1mm servo block in rear. only done this today yet to try this mod out ,
diff , 3000 w
front sway bar , kit 2.4

centre ,
diff 5000 w
gearing 13/46 ,
brakes . kit .

rear end ,

oil 30wt associated ,
pistons 1.5
spring blue . old blue , not longer new ones
shock postion top mid, bottom outside
camber link mid inside , top inside on hub ,
sway bar . 2.6
diff 1000 w
wheel base , 2mm in front , the rest in rear
toe block 3.0
anti squat , upper hole
camber 2
lower hinge pin hole .
rear arm spacer . front

as at the moment i think my cars transfering to much wait in the middle of the corner , i just want it to rock alittle , but the rear ends half planted now ,

you da man ,

mike keyes , perth australia

MBX7 O.S SPEED , SANWA , FULLY BOMDED KEYSEY TURBO EDITION
keyesgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 04:11 AM   #714
Tech Regular

Watch out Mike Ashley's coming out to play

John
Old 12-23-2006, 04:15 AM   #715
Tech Addict

Default hello john boy

the more the better mate ,

look forward to see ya ,

mk,

Old 12-23-2006, 04:18 AM   #716
Tech Regular

He is looking forward to it
Just have to remember how to setup a off road buggy again
Old 12-23-2006, 04:25 AM   #717
Tech Addict

Default HEY JOHN ,

THE GOOD THING ABOUT WHITE PARK CLUB IS THERES 5 OR 6 GUYS THAT CAN WIN , AND DAZ WEISE IS ON FIRE AS LATE ,

MERRY XMAS , AND TO ALL

MK,

Old 12-23-2006, 05:17 AM   #718
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyesgood

my set at the moment ,

front end .
oil 45w losi
ackerman kit stock , mid, with two washers on the inside ball to keep the link straight

mike keyes , perth australia
45Wt in the front shocks seems awfully thick.

Can you explain the washers on the ackerman further? Most guys add 2mm of washers, or use an old standard MBX5 ackerman with the ends cut off to raise the ackerman up. This effectively raises the ball where the steering links connect to the ackerman. King Headz makes an ackerman with 3mm built in to get rid of the bump steer. If you add washers to the ball, then you're lowering the ball instead of raising it.

Best regards,

Tonys Screws LLC
http://www.tonysscrews.com
High Grade Alloy Steel Screws, Screw Kits and Mugen Parts
TonysScrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 06:31 AM   #719
Tech Addict

I agree with Tony. I usually will start with a 40wt oil and maybe sway up or down 5 or 10 as needed. But it sounds as though you're quite different front to rear. Have you tried 35 all around with the greys on the rear? Once you are transfering that weight to the front it will plant but I think you might be putting it back after you brake. Thus taking traction away from the front, resulting in your push at mid. Just my .02

Hey TurboJoe, Barnes and I were just playin with you Cali boys. I get a little jealous when I look when I look out the window at the snow all weekend playing on the computer. Bad part is there's nobody online cuz you are all out racing!!! Maybe I should move out west...
Old 12-23-2006, 07:44 AM   #720
Tech Addict

Default none

well as i see it , when the wheel falls down a hole the link is not level , so by adding washers help keep it level , may be il take them off see if i get more off power steering .

thanks for the tips ,

mike keyes

mugenchad ,

yes iv tryed the gray at the rear with 30wt associated . but dont like the feel of it . iv done that front mod that ryan barnes says is good and i think it may keep alittle weight on the rear , il get back to ya all with the results ,

thanks all for ya time .

mk