MBX5

Old 12-16-2006, 07:38 AM
Tech Regular

Well if you remember in that side by side picture I did about the wing mounts I had the Himoto wing on my buggy. I have one and sometimes run it, but the weight especially when you get down to grams really isn't the issue, it's the position of that weight. I was just talking about getting the weight lower to the ground, weight in the rear isn't a bad thing. For example when Chad Bradley ran for Mugen he used the same 2600mah 5 cell AA receiver pack that I run, and his whole point behind it was to get weight to the rear of the buggy for traction and to balance the buggys weight side to side due to the motor.

As for the Outerwears products, you will see a big push and press release of their products at the beggining of next year. They hadn't planned on the popularity of their Shockwears to take off as I had told them it would, so once they saw how popular their stuff was gonna be they had to find a supplier to get that special material in bulk. Now they have and since November they have just been building their inventory so they can meet demand at the start of 07'. Thanks for the interest-Ryan
Old 12-16-2006, 04:35 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

On the akermann plate of the Truggy and the new R, is the position that is closet to the front of the car considered more or less??????

Hey Ryan --

What shoes and springs are you trying out with your Ninja from M2C??

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by nutfluff; 12-16-2006 at 09:54 PM.
Old 12-16-2006, 08:56 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Talking mbx-5 killers

Originally Posted by RYAN BARNES
in2deep- I always run the Mugen aluminum shoes and Mugen 1.0 springs, and I drive very aggressive as well but seem to get good performance and life out of this setup. I recently got a couple sets of the M2C clutch shoes and springs that I currently have in a Ninja motor I'm breaking in, but I haven't gotten to race with this setup yet. I hope they work well because I really liked the look and fit of them.

I need to head south for the winter and do some racing with you, I have family just up the road from you in St.Cloud FL.
hey im with that, anytime u are going to come down let me know we will definitely hook up and do some racing out here for sure.and thanks for that info again.
Old 12-17-2006, 07:11 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ssuga20
Ryan, Tony, or anyone else,

Has anyone tried the Eck Tec Quick Change Engine Mount - MBX-5 (ETM06020/S) or the King Headz Mugen MBX-5/MBX5T Ez Change Motor Mount - Standard [KHZ-KP-516-BLK] products? I would like to hear any positive or negative feedback on these products before I purchase one.

It would save time when changing engines or clutch parts on raceday IMO. Thanks for any response.
On my old MBX5 and MSR conversion, I ran the King Headz extended motor mounts. They worked very well. On my new MBX5 Prospec and and MBX5T ProSpec, I have been running the Mugen one-piece mount. I got VERY good clutch life and clutch bell bearing life out of the extended King Headz mounts. I haven't ran the Mugen one-piece mount enough to know if there's any difference.

I basically do the same thing as Ryan and never remove the lower screws. I just remove the four 3x12mm cap heads w/ 3mm lock washers. I swap my motor/pipe back and forth from the car and truck all the time. There is a slight amount of play with the four screws that you'll use to make sure your gear mesh is good.

But with that being said, I am looking forward to trying out Strobe's new one-piece quick-change Mugen mount. It uses 4mm hardware instead of 3mm on some others. It looks very good. The base will come with 2 inserts, 37.0MM and 37.5MM for different engine mount spacings. Dave Strobeen (goes by Strobe) is an awesome machinist like Jim Walker (King Headz) and Dale Mowery (DaceMfg), uses the best materials and this should be a nice piece.

http://strobe-rcracing.com/mugen_quick.htm
Old 12-17-2006, 06:40 PM
Tech Master

Kaotic- Do yourself and your pitman a huge favor and purchase this TKO plate that bolts onto the chrome top box and makes starting any MBX5 or MBX5R a breeze!!! http://carolinasrc.com/Webstore/Scri...?idproduct=475

in2deep- Yes all of your MBX5 stuff will bolt right up to the R chassis, I can't see the benefit of the aftermarket chassis, their not much lighter.
wow!!! another day saver for Mugen boyzz,, i hope they sell it here though...

Mabuhay!!
Old 12-17-2006, 06:58 PM
Tech Regular

sandrixx- I still haven't forgot ya on that MBX5 setup. I though I had it saved on my laptop, but as soon as I can find a copy on paper I'll punch it in and send it to ya in an email. Sorry for the delay! -Ryan
Old 12-18-2006, 12:27 AM
Tech Master

sandrixx- I still haven't forgot ya on that MBX5 setup. I though I had it saved on my laptop, but as soon as I can find a copy on paper I'll punch it in and send it to ya in an email. Sorry for the delay! -Ryan
No Prob Bozzman!!,, i thank you for helping us Mugen Boyz around the globe.

Mabuhay!!
Old 12-18-2006, 05:55 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

My son (13) just got a mbx5r and this is his first 1/8 buggy i was just wondering if the set that comes with the kit is a good starting point or is there a better way to start as we really dont know what changes effect what
Old 12-18-2006, 06:51 AM
Tech Regular

gasman-My son is 13 as well and runs the MBX5R, I set his diffs up with 5-5-3, and this seems to work real well. It will tame the buggy down and make it a little more forgiving to drive, plus this setup corners well. If you need I can send you the complete setup. Good luck! -Ryan
Old 12-18-2006, 12:29 PM
Tech Fanatic

Ryan, I am new to nitro but not racing. What about the 5-5-3 setup makes it forgiving? I am trying to find a good baseline for ARC, small and tight. What would you suggest for a descent sportsman level driver? Thanks
Old 12-18-2006, 01:46 PM
Tech Regular

merf- give the 5-5-3 a try and you will see that it works well on a tight track, and having the 5000 in the middle diff you can drive the car hard without overpowering the track.
Old 12-18-2006, 01:50 PM
Tech Fanatic

Great that what i have. I only got to run about 3/4 of a tank so far before i lost the front universal, forgot the loctite! Not to smart.
Old 12-18-2006, 01:58 PM
Tech Regular

I've had that happen, so I started running those rubber boots on my front and rear CVD's and I put a small zip tie around the big part so that in a race even if the set screw gets loose it can't back out.
Old 12-18-2006, 03:27 PM
Tech Fanatic

I heat shrunk them as well, not going to happen again!
Old 12-18-2006, 06:51 PM
Tech Regular

Tony P.- I Finally got on there and got registered and ordered me some MORE kick a$$ screw kits!! 2 MBX5R kits, 2 B4 kits and a bunch more individuals!! Nice site and easy to navigate on there! Thanks Again!!! www.tonysscrews.com

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.