Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MBX5

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2006, 03:05 PM
Tech Regular

I agree with TS, I own a couple of each kind of pipe, both polished and hardcoated, and there doesn't seem to be a noticeable performance difference. The polished gives a nice "bling" effect, but dulls quickly and is hard to clean once fuel and dirt have baked on it. Where as the coated pipes seem to clean off fairly easy with some WD-40 and a Scotch-brite pad.
Old 11-30-2006, 03:26 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Hi, I'm new to this nitro stuff & have a query or two:
Clutch springs & shoes - the kit comes with 1.0 springs, my lhs guy is recommending 1.1's (he races on-road nitro, but has nothing to do with the off-road guys). Any suggestions?? Also I remember reading somewhere that carbon clutch shoes were 'better' than the aluminium ones - any thoughts on that one.

If it makes any difference, our local track is a clay/dirt combo - holeshots (for electric) & crime fighters are the preferred tyres.
Old 11-30-2006, 08:39 PM
Tech Regular

The 1.0 springs will give you a smoother power transfer, with the 1.1 spings you have to be higher in the RPM before they let the clutch engage, so your car will have alot more of the "on/off" effect, which can be real tricky especially if the track conditions get loose. Personally I always run the 1.0 springs and aluminum shoes.
Old 12-01-2006, 09:48 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Same here, always Mugen alum and 1.0's.

I use AvidRC metal shielded 5x10mm bearings ($1 a piece). Just blow them out with a compressor to get rid of excess grease and the clutch will last 2-1/2 to 3 gallons. Of course you need to remove the shoes periodically to de-burr them.
Old 12-01-2006, 10:34 AM
Tech Addict

I'm with Tony so +1

I also use the Sprotwerks Alum 7075. The blue ones and have had real good luck with those as well.
Old 12-01-2006, 11:06 AM
Tech Regular

I have ran the blue Sportwerks shoes with the Mugen 1.0 springs as well, and it works just fine.
Old 12-01-2006, 02:52 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

hmm...to add a second opinion to the Sheep.

I use Mugen 1.1 and the Mugen plastic (carbonized plastic?) shoes in a Meidal Pro M2K (essentially a 4 port torque monster) and my bearing life has gone up (due to less heat buildup and transferal) and the bottom end has been smoothed out to where its actually drivable! I was tired of going through 1 set of Mugen aluminums every other weekend. But that is my driving style, im told.....
Old 12-03-2006, 12:24 PM
Tech Fanatic

Just finished my marothon build session. Does any body have a good baseline set up for ARC in Murrieta? Cant wait to try the car, its my first 1/8 buggy I figuered i should start with the best!
Old 12-03-2006, 12:50 PM
Tech Initiate

hi everyone

last year i ran a mayhem rtr but this year i want to do alot more racing.i would like to here your comments on the mbx5r. is it a durable buggy,easy to drive and any issues with the mugen buggies at all.i am also looking at a hyper 8.does the mbx5r use different blocks for tuning like the hyper 8 and are they included in the kit.

thanks bob
Old 12-03-2006, 01:13 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by tcmerf
Just finished my marothon build session. Does any body have a good baseline set up for ARC in Murrieta? Cant wait to try the car, its my first 1/8 buggy I figuered i should start with the best!
IMO, the car needs lighter diff oil's then what it calls for. I would start with 5-5-1 with no small o-rings and 2 gaskets. Also run 400 wt. front and 350 wt. rear. You may also want to try the plastic rear hub carriers(they get better rear traction). Maximum front kick-up for steering balance. I am still testing there for the best tire combination also.
Old 12-04-2006, 05:19 PM
Tech Addict

Talking mbx-5

wasup everyone,

im just getting back into 1/8 offroad and i have an mbx-5,i want to know if i can get the new 5r chassis to replace the original 5 chassis.and im going to buy the upgraded pcs to turn it into a mbx-5r since i already have the buggy as is mint and has new threaded shocks and rimes and tires new.can anyone let me know if it is a direct fit or?
Old 12-04-2006, 05:36 PM
Tech Regular

Unless your chassis is in bad shape I would suggest you just keep running the one you got, the big changes in the R have to do with the complete suspension (shocks, towers, arms, etc...) So I would just get the upgrade kit from CarolinasRC and mount it all on your current buggy.

http://carolinasrc.com/Webstore/Scri...idProduct=2803
Old 12-04-2006, 06:09 PM
Tech Master

Hi Ryan,

Good talking to you the other day. Drop me an email at [email protected]

Best regards,
Old 12-05-2006, 12:43 AM
Tech Master

Guys, Dont forget the CarolinasRC conversion although very good DOSEN'T include any of the new steering parts. I believe that to be a huge omission as it's bound to be alot of the reason the new car is reported to turn much better than the older MBX5. So make sure you pick up those parts also if you do a conversion !!
Old 12-05-2006, 01:09 AM
Tech Master

Looking for help curing the horrendous mid and exit corner push my MBX5 has

Current set-up

Diff Oils 5-7-2 front - rear

front

std width
white springs
shocks mounted out on the wishbone and 2nd hole from inside on the tower
30wt oil 1.5piston
upper arms in the high position
1 small shim infront of the upper arm the rest behind (thinking of changing this to all infront .... more caster)
lower arms per the manual
spacer infont of lower arm
std anti roll bar
ackerman rear (aggressive position)

Rear

White springs
Shock mounted outer most top and bottom
30wt oil 1.5piston
3deg toe in block
front hindge pin in upper location
rear hubs mounted so bearing are closest to hindge pin
upper arms mounted outside top on the hub and inner bottom on the tower

track is all grass fairly high grip

Car seems good apart from after "getting into" the corner it has no front end bite at all, you just got to wait off power until it's turned enough that you can power on again, But there no chance of "driving" through the corner as it'll push wide

I was consideering moving the front lower shock mounting in on the wishbone but am concerned it'll start to "hook" mid corner then ??

Ah, please dont get me wrong it's not a million miles off as is, it was still good enough to set FTQ, but it's not right....... it pushes mid corner on badly

Cheers Rod

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.