R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 10-31-2006, 03:30 PM   #526
Tech Adept

who does your body and stickers?
BlueR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 05:30 PM   #527
Tech Regular

My bodies are done by my buddy Jack who is a homicide detective in a Chicago suburb, hence the name "FIVE-O DESIGNS", his work is soon to be featured on the cover of RC DRIVER, on their feature article test vehicles. Also his signature tribal flames and carbon fiber look were used to design my "signature series" Outerwears Shockwears that will be in the December issues of RC DRIVER, in Outerwears adds featuring me and my MBX5R.
RYAN BARNES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 10:31 PM   #528
Tech Elite

With the steering bell cranks flipped over on the R, is the ackerman/steering plate already corrected for the hieght? This is what I understand from what was done on the Truggy/MBX-5T. Is it the same or no?

I would like to see if the hieght of the rack could be measured between the older car and the R.

Sorry about this all, but I want to be really clear on this because I know from the original MBX-5 that it made a huge difference if the rack wasn't spaced up.
--- Special thanks to: Dyno, Adam, Todd, and Kevin. Horizon Hobby
cornerspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 12:11 AM   #529
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornerspeed
With the steering bell cranks flipped over on the R, is the ackerman/steering plate already corrected for the hieght? This is what I understand from what was done on the Truggy/MBX-5T. Is it the same or no?

I would like to see if the hieght of the rack could be measured between the older car and the R.

Sorry about this all, but I want to be really clear on this because I know from the original MBX-5 that it made a huge difference if the rack wasn't spaced up.
cornerspeed,

I believe on the R it is taken care of. It has a updated steering bellcrank that was carried over from the MBX-5T Truggy I believe. Have fun with your buggy

Steve Wang
Old 11-01-2006, 05:19 AM   #530
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Got my R kit yesterday and it looks real good. Just have to find time with my 70 hour work week to get it together for indoor winter racing. By looking at this now I'm probably going to sell my other Prospec and get a second R.
cwalters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 06:35 AM   #531
Tech Regular

cornerspeed/Speedtech- NO, the new MBX5R ackerman is not corrected for the bumpsteer issue. All Mugen did with their steering rack was flip the servo saver so that it is easier to adjust by the spring and collar being on top. The ackerman arm still ends up at the exact height as the old MBX5 buggy, that was the first thing I checked before installing the aftermarket (offset) ackerman. I own 2 MBX5R's and still have 2 MBX5 Prospecs at the shop and have done all the measurements and side by side comparisons. I'll try and get a pic of the two posted tonight.
Old 11-01-2006, 06:44 AM   #532
ira
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

This past weekend a friend and I raced our R's at Leisure Hours Hobbies, it was there Fall Classic Race with a total of 140 entries. I had only 2 races with the new buggie and this was his first with his, I am a On-Road guy and he races Off-Road. We put both buggies in the A-Main, there was some fast guys there from Michigan, Indiana, and here from Illinois. The buggies were getting fast with each round. We ran pretty close to the stock set-up, when I get a chance I will post my set-up. This track is smooth, indoor with medium tracktion.
Old 11-01-2006, 08:06 AM   #533
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RYAN BARNES
cornerspeed/Speedtech- NO, the new MBX5R ackerman is not corrected for the bumpsteer issue. All Mugen did with their steering rack was flip the servo saver so that it is easier to adjust by the spring and collar being on top. The ackerman arm still ends up at the exact height as the old MBX5 buggy, that was the first thing I checked before installing the aftermarket (offset) ackerman. I own 2 MBX5R's and still have 2 MBX5 Prospecs at the shop and have done all the measurements and side by side comparisons. I'll try and get a pic of the two posted tonight.
Thanks for the clarification, I'll check with Mugen today too

Stee Wang
Old 11-01-2006, 10:18 AM   #534
Tech Elite

I just talked to Mugen today. They have corrected the bump steer issue, but not at the rack. The rack is the same hieght, but the steering knuckle has been changed. So, the lever for the outer link ball stud has been lowered. I was looking at my car last night, steering turnbuckle link is the same angle as the suspension angle, so that should be correct bump steer. I will run mine as is. Ryan, maybe you can compare the old steering knuckle with a new R one. Thanks for your help.
Old 11-01-2006, 11:03 AM   #535
Tech Apprentice

I've had some wheel time with my Mugen MBX5R and I can't seem to keep the rear end from stepping out, on and off power. I've copied a pro set up (minus trick springs and any other developmental parts) so I should have a decent starting point.

Anyone have ideas on how to plant the rear end a little better? I'm going up in rear diff oil from 2K to 3K, changing the wing to a higher downforce wing and taking some toe out away from the front, I might even tighten the front sway bar down a little to take some steering away.

I'd love your alls input.

Also what's the deal with allot of MBX5R owners blowing out steering servos with the new style adj. collar on top servo saver?

Last edited by ccs77; 11-01-2006 at 11:21 AM.
ccs77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 11:57 AM   #536
Tech Elite

Are getting loose off-power when on the brakes or off. If getting loose under braking, reduce your rear brake bias. I would also increase front toe-out and try lighter front and maybe even center diff oils. That should help the on-power over-steer. The high downfource wing is a good idea also.
Old 11-01-2006, 12:07 PM   #537
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I can't say enough good about the "R". I have ran it in only 3 races, but the car has been right on. I did have quite a bit of time on the prospec.

I ran it box stock for the first race and I immediately increased rear toe, but that was it. the rear felt loose on power, but it was for that one race.

the next two races, the car has been right on pace. The car has been easy to drive, and pushing it makes it feel even better. Listen to Ryan and try the setup, at least once.

I am in fla and have not seen any large races/tracks yet to experiece the full effect of the suspension, but the car has been planted everywhere I have taken it.

BTW Three different tracks in three weeks.
ahsikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 12:24 PM   #538
Tech Apprentice

Cornerspeed-

The rear is stepping out while off the gas and off the brakes when I put it into a corner and also while coming out of the corner on the gas. The rear end is very loose everywhere. I'm using brand new Crime fighters on a track that Crime fighters generally work very well on so tires are good.

I have a hard time justifying adjustments to the front of the car when it's the rear I'm having issues with but I'll try anything. I bought a Proline downforce wing and a Himoto wing, both have the new drop down style so they should help.

I don't mind the rear stepping out so much going into corners but it is really hold me back coming out of them. I'm so late on the gas it's retarded.

I have no experience with Mugen so maybe I just need to adapt a more rear end steering driving style. My Jammin is a solid performer in every aspect so the performance bar is set very high for this new MBX5R.
ccs77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 01:01 PM   #539
ira
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

A friend had a Jammin, he said the back of the car was to hooked up. No doubt the Jammin is a good car, he now own's a MBX5R and he can not believe how much more corner speed the Mugen has over the Jammin.

We have been working on the same thing with the rear of the car, I have found the 3 deg. toe block works very good. Also use 0 deg. anti-squat, if your rear lower arms are more flat(front insert at lower position) it will keep the car from stepping out when intering a corner.
Here is a set up I used this past week end.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf SCAN0054_000.pdf (50.7 KB, 107 views)
Old 11-01-2006, 04:30 PM   #540
Tech Regular

cornerspeed/Speedtech- Just to clarify some question and confusion, I double checked myself and also documented it with photographs this time. As I stated earlier I own 2 MBX5 Prospecs and 2 MBX5R's, and I have done extensive testing and measuring on both buggies. I simply post to readers my results and findings, and make suggestions as to what "worked for me" and things that I feel improved the handling and performance of the new MBX5R. With this said here are my findings between the MBX5 and MBX5R's front ends, from ackerman arm out to the steering uprights. Both buggies were measured on the same piece of 1/4in reinforced glass for accuracy, with their shocks off so they sat flat on their chassis, and I used a Mugen ride height gauge so that it could be seen by the camera.

The first two pics are of the front uprights, right where the steering ball goes thru the upright arm. Both measured in at 15mm

The next two pics are measurements from the top of the steering balls, both measured in at 25mm

The next two pics are measurements from the bottom of each buggys ackerman arm, both measured in at 28mm

This last picture is of MY MBX5R, and what I run on it, and what I feel is the best setup for eliminating bumpsteer. Everyone is entitled to their own choices, I'm just suggesting what I found to work. Good luck to ALL Mugen pilots!!