R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 06-30-2006, 08:14 AM   #361
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

To remove bump steer you must also remove the reactive caster. The upper hinge pin is not parallel with the lower hinge pin. This can be achieved by shimming down the rear upper hingepin mount to make the two pins parallel. You should then be able to shim the steering link up/down to get the bump steer out. I think with the stock setup or the widely used 2mm shimmed setup the car has a bit of bump-out (toes out as suspension compresses) this should help turn-in without instability under acceleration.

In mind and body, we're all heading towards old age. It is slower to go by bike.
Davidka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 12:00 PM   #362
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to SkarTisu Send a message via Yahoo to SkarTisu

Ohhhh.....I forgot about the reactive caster. That's why the "bump steer path" looks so goofy to me.

I'd think that reactive caster is generally a good thing, so I guess I'll stop my quest for no bump steer!
SkarTisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 12:13 PM   #363
Tech Champion

Chad Bradley used to always ran setups without reactive caster. I've been meaning to try it but have never gotten around to it. His setup used a middle spacer in the shock tower (for rear hingepin mount) and the lower block at the rear of the hinge pin with 1.5mm washers between the rear mount and the nose plate. The 1.5mm spacers that come with the kit for steering servo mounting look like they would work perfectly for this.

In mind and body, we're all heading towards old age. It is slower to go by bike.
Old 07-02-2006, 08:18 PM   #364
Tech Regular

I have a setup question.
I have been running the Scott Houghs 06 silver state setup on my track and its unreal!! True my track is very rough but the corner speed is on fire.
The question i have is it is based on a very rough track. Does anyone know what Scott's basic setup is? I go to other tracks and they are not as rough.
I looked at his old 04 Silver ST. setup and it seems the only thing changed was the shock oil and the front upper caster roll center. (moved low).

The Jason Ashton setup was easy to drive but had NO corner speed.
kyracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 11:12 PM   #365
Tech Regular

Bump
kyracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 08:38 PM   #366
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

anyone tried 7k front ,10k center ,5k rear diff oil on an dry clay track?

I tried 5k front 7k center and 3k rear and prematurey worn out 2 pairs of front tyres due to tyre spinning . This is because the straights isnt really straight so when I WOT on the 'straights' the front left tyre spins more than the right as the straight is curving slightly to the left.

The MBX5 needs a stronger front bumper me thinks.
Old 07-04-2006, 10:48 PM   #367
Tech Regular

been running oiriginal bumper for 2 years. prob over 100ltires use.
BringItOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 10:33 AM   #368
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to SkarTisu Send a message via Yahoo to SkarTisu

Scott's comment on the setup sheet was that his Silver State setup was for "the roughest track ever"
SkarTisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 02:12 PM   #369
Tech Champion

devious17, I would try the 7k in the front first. 8k in the center diff is as heavy a diff fluid as I have ever heard of anyone using in an X-5. I would think that the car would feel sluggish with heav fluids in all 3 diffs. Is it possible that your fluid has leaked out of the front diff? Mugen diffs are known to leak with the stock O-rings in them.

Old 07-05-2006, 06:24 PM   #370
Tech Master

Thanks Davidka

Indeed the diff does leak on my X5 and I have remedied it by sealing it with gasket glue for automotive engine and got all ém O rings replaced , it hasnt leaked since.

I too was wondering if the engine would be overloaded due to the heavy diff configuration .ie sluggish.

I'll try your suggestion Davidka,saves me from having to do all 3 diff in a go
Old 07-05-2006, 06:44 PM   #371
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Msand Send a message via MSN to Msand Send a message via Yahoo to Msand

Like your sig Devious, but you should add this...

"Opinions are like Assholes............everyone has one.... And they all stink!!"

I have been reading this thread and there sure is lots of info, I recently got a X5 and have been like a sponge with all the info in this thread.

Thanks to all !!
Msand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 06:47 PM   #372
Tech Champion

devious17, your engine should hardly notice the difference. By sluggish I meant the handling. Iy probably wouldn't steer or rotate very well until you stab the throttle

Old 07-05-2006, 07:48 PM   #373
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msand
Like your sig Devious, but you should add this...

"Opinions are like Assholes............everyone has one.... And they all stink!!"

I have been reading this thread and there sure is lots of info, I recently got a X5 and have been like a sponge with all the info in this thread.

Thanks to all !!
Msand , hahahahahaha..........well, I didnt want to state the obvious so I left it a "everyone has one "
Old 07-10-2006, 12:33 PM   #374
Tech Champion

I don't know if it has been covered on this thread but I wanted to know about the lower front pivot blocks i.e. the -1, -2, -3 blocks. Everybody normally runs the -1 but I am interested in knowing what I can expect from changing this. It is a difficult part to change compared to other tuning options.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Old 07-10-2006, 02:18 PM   #375
Tech Addict

from my experience, the -1 block gives much more off power steering than the -2...which translates to less on-power steering. Bump handling in the front is better with the -1 (due to steeper angle of the arm)...the thing you will lose with the -1 compared to the -2 is front end bite under acceleration....among others...but I wont go into too much more detail...the Mugen just loves the -1...period.
Crim3Wav3 is offline   Reply With Quote