R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 05-29-2006, 01:29 PM   #316
Tech Regular

I'm glad you guyz like your new Mugens.

To bad Mugen does not have any factory drivers in the region 5 area. (Kentucky, Ohio). The Kyosho's have some pros that are causing people to jump ship.
kyracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 07:19 PM   #317
Tech Regular

BUMP

I race on a BUMPY track.
What shock oil and piston is a good starting point? As of now Im running the stock 1.4 piston and 400 front 350 rear.
The reason I am asking is my Jason Ashton 04 setup seems to throw the rear end around more then what I like. I feel it is loosing forward bit coming out of rough corners.
Check out the web site below for track pictures if it would help.
kyracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 07:46 PM   #318
Tech Addict

Send a message via ICQ to Jammin'Trey

HE he, On my MBX5 i run 25wt in frnt and 30wt in back and it stays pretty planted....
Jammin'Trey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 07:58 PM   #319
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to SkarTisu Send a message via Yahoo to SkarTisu

Scott Hughes 06 Silver State setup for "the roughest track ever" has 350 front and 300 rear shock oil. Having run that setup on a blown out track, I have to say it feels pretty good.

If you're losing rear bite coming out of rough corners, you could try less rear anti-squat, the lighter rear oil, more rear toe-in, thinner rear swaybar, lighter rear spring, moving the bottom of the shocks to the inside hole on the arm or lowering the rear inside ball stud. Got all that?
SkarTisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 08:07 PM   #320
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyracer
BUMP

I race on a BUMPY track.
What shock oil and piston is a good starting point? As of now Im running the stock 1.4 piston and 400 front 350 rear.
The reason I am asking is my Jason Ashton 04 setup seems to throw the rear end around more then what I like. I feel it is loosing forward bit coming out of rough corners.
Check out the web site below for track pictures if it would help.
If you built your shocks from the kit you should have the black 1.5 pistons (1.4's are white). I run that setup and when the going gets rough I simply move the lower rear shock ends to the inside hole on the arm and take out 3mm of preload. Try it without changing anything else, you will be amazed. If the car seems a little looser on the brakes then dial your down travel back to where it was with the other shock setup and that should get it taken care of. Using 400 oil in the rear with that setup helps too. The rear end will feel over damped but wait till you see how it eats rough tracks up.

In mind and body, we're all heading towards old age. It is slower to go by bike.
Davidka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 08:16 PM   #321
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
MBX4

I HAVE A MBX-4 BUGGY THAT IS LIKE NEW WITH A NEW OS21 MOTOR.
I HAVE A QUESTION, I AM INTO ELECTRIC AND NITRO ON ROAD. SO I DON`T KNOW ALOT ABOUT NITRO BUGGIES BUT WE JUST HAD A NEW OFF ROAD TRACK OPEN UP HERE AND I WOULD LIKE TO CONVERT THIS TO A TRUGGY. ARE THERE ANY PARTS OUT THERE FOR THIS CONVERSION. OR IF I RUN IT AS A BUGGY ARE THERE STILL PARTS AVAILABLE FOR IT LIKE ARMS TOWERS DRIVE SHAFTS,OR CAN IT BE CONVERTED TO A MBX-5. IT IS THE RR CHASSIS AND IS IN EXCELLENT SHAPE SO I REALY DON`T WANT TO REPLACE IT AT THIS TIME. ANY MUGENS ADVICE WOULD BE COOL.

THANKS BUTCH
BMXJEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 09:19 AM   #322
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

well, butch, I have the last generation mbx4, the mbx-4XR. Most hobby shops can still get parts, the only thing you will have trouble with though are shock rebuild kits. Nobody uses the 3mm shaft anymore, all are 3.5mm and larger. You can still find arms and what not if you look on ebay or even nitrohouse, they have a small supply of mugen parts.

As far as anything else goes, you will be ok, most everything on the car is pretty standard issue among most 1/8 scale buggies, from the bearings, diffs, etc. Like I said before, the only thing you will have trouble with are the shocks.

As for a truggy conversion, someone out there made one at one point, but I can't find one myself. I think it was JT Racing that made them.
o.s. power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 01:55 PM   #323
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default mbx4

THANKS O.S., ITS GOOD TO KNOW THERE IS STILL A LITTLE HOPE FOR MBX4.
BUTCH
BMXJEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 05:28 PM   #324
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to xtreameracer

i just got a prospec used from a friend who was very fast with it . the qustion i have is i can not get it to turn in. from what i have herd that is a very common thing for these buggies. what can i do.
xtreameracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 09:19 PM   #325
Tech Regular

Be sure that you have the 2mm spacer in FRONT of your lower front arms, and all the spacers in the REAR of your top front arms pushing them all the way forward. Set your toe out at 1mm per side in the front. The inserts in your shock tower for the upper hinge pins should be to the top, and the lowered mounts in the rear of the top arm. This buggy is capable of plenty of steering going into and out of corners it just has to be set up right.
RYAN BARNES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 10:30 PM   #326
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtreameracer
i just got a prospec used from a friend who was very fast with it . the qustion i have is i can not get it to turn in. from what i have herd that is a very common thing for these buggies. what can i do.
Make sure you have the updated front uprights. I just installed and it makes world of difference on the steering.
sand geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 04:55 AM   #327
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Ryan (or anyone), have you tried the the low position on the front upper arm? I'm talking about the spacer in the shock tower and the rear pin mount as well.

In mind and body, we're all heading towards old age. It is slower to go by bike.
Davidka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 09:23 AM   #328
Tech Regular

Davidka, I ran lower and center before, but always had my top arm spacers centered, I now run them pushed all the way forward, and have my roll center bushings to the top, but now that you mentioned it placing the bushings in the center or even to the bottom will give me a higher roll center, making the buggy more responsive and give it quicker turn in, my Mugen already turns in great, if I try this I'm gonna have to adjust cause I know I'll be piping it!! I'm already passing C-hub buggies on the inside I'm gonna go test this today!! Thanks!!!

Old 06-05-2006, 01:20 PM   #329
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Damn...you are a mean lookin Dude Ryan...

Front) I have my upper arm set all the way forward against the tower and the lower arm spacer in the rear of the arm...upper arm tower bushing in low position and runnin the lowest Fioroni B-Block (so the low pin holder for the stcok ProSpec)...and yes, she turns like a monster.... i also found that running the 1 degree front/rear hingepin brace (the one that puts the end closest to the chassis, providing more front kickup) helps a ton...only downside to this is the front suspension travel is quite limited.
Crim3Wav3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 03:02 PM   #330
Tech Regular

Crim3Wav3, Na, just didn't have time to shave that morn!!! This front set-up you listed is exactly what I'm gonna try next, (made adjustments today),with the exception of the 2mm spacer, I like mine in front of the lower arms, that gets a lil more weight out over your front end and keeps the buggy from pushing, besides that difference the rest all makes sense and should result in some QUICK turn-in!!