Wiki Posts
Search

new to Nitro

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2016, 08:44 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 198 (100%+)
Default new to Nitro

I've been racing electric since 1991. my only nitro experience was playing around with a Tmaxx 12 years ago. So i know how to lean it out and make it richer etc...

That's about it. I run 1/8th scale ebuggy indoor in the winter and would like to try nitro outside this spring summer. I have an RC8e right now.

So...i have no clue what kind of engine/exhaust to buy to be competitive. Im am not crazy good that's for sure. So i don't need anything special.

Was thinking about Truggy but some people say it is dying out around here. I like to run two classes. So maybe ebuggy and nitro buggy? Or ebuggy and nitro truggy?

Sorry for being such a nitro newbie

What engines/exhaust would you recommend?
Old 01-31-2016, 08:47 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

It's all about your track and throttle control. A lot of people are going to recommend super high HP engines with pipes and headers that produce a crazy amount of power.

However, what track are you running, what is the grip like, how big is it? What's your budget? What car are you looking to purchase?
Old 01-31-2016, 09:00 AM
Tech Champion

E-buggy and nitro buggy would make a lot of sense for sharing parts. As to whether or not to go truggy, just go to your track(s) and see..

For starters get an Elite 5 from novarossidirect - it's cheap and solid for getting started. With something like a 9901 pipe.

You could also check out Werks and Alpha engines. There are lots of good engines. You don't have to and shouldn't spend a lot on an engine to get started.
Old 01-31-2016, 09:34 AM
Tech Regular

There are a lot of good engines out on the market.
See if you can try some different cars with different engines and pipes on your local track so you can get a feel for what you like. Then you know what you want.
Otherwise look for an engine with smooth power delivery more than a HP monster. Why? Because the HP will make it harder to drive consistantly and you will probably crash more and in the end it will not be as fun as you first thought i would be. Own experiance!

My first engine was a FX with alot of power and it was not smooth. All the power at once and then nothing, Call it ketchup effect. Needless to say, I crashed alot resulting in bad lap times and inconsitent driving.

Changed all my gear and tried REDS R5T. Still a powerful engine but it delivered the power in a smooth manner. Dropped my lap times with several seconds and drove alot more consistent with lap times within a second.

If you are on a budget maybe REDS are a little expensiv. Then I think Alpha dragon 2 or 3 is a good option.
Old 01-31-2016, 11:34 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Brit_racer
I've been racing electric since 1991. my only nitro experience was playing around with a Tmaxx 12 years ago. So i know how to lean it out and make it richer etc...

That's about it. I run 1/8th scale ebuggy indoor in the winter and would like to try nitro outside this spring summer. I have an RC8e right now.

So...i have no clue what kind of engine/exhaust to buy to be competitive. Im am not crazy good that's for sure. So i don't need anything special.

Was thinking about Truggy but some people say it is dying out around here. I like to run two classes. So maybe ebuggy and nitro buggy? Or ebuggy and nitro truggy?

Sorry for being such a nitro newbie

What engines/exhaust would you recommend?
Nitro truggy is a lot of fun, albeit not as popular as nitro buggy. When I run two classes it's usually e buggy and nitro truggy and it works out pretty well. I like the contrast between the two cars. The ebuggy is much more technical and requires a lot more throttle control and finesse with the steering input as I'm sure you know. The ebuggy will make wheeling a nitro truggy feel like a breeze... although I still haven't mastered that part about hanging with the fast guys,

Theres also tons of good buggy and truggy engines out there for around $200. You don't have to spend a fortune to get a good engine these days. Nova Direct has some good deals on pipes and engines like the Elite 5 or Clio. Argus and Werks are also pretty popular with a lot of the guys I race with.
Old 01-31-2016, 11:34 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Most engines on the market today are very competitive.
At nova direct you can pick up a decent engine/ pipe combo for around $250. Something you can learn on and aren't afraid to blow it up. 3-4 port in buggy and 5+ in truggy. If you like the e buggy stick with buggy. If you want something a little easier to drive go with truggy.
Old 01-31-2016, 02:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 198 (100%+)

Thanks so much for the input.

I was thinking of getting another rc8.2 nitro so i would have cross parts. But I just noticed the Losi 8ight 3.0 is on sale for 350 now that the 4.0 is out. I do ok and enjoy stadium truck but think it might not be a big enough class.
The tracks I will run out will be pretty open with some huge jumps.

Thanks for the engine info. ive seen them go gor 79.99 to 500 so its confusing on what to spend.
Old 01-31-2016, 05:22 PM
Tech Fanatic

It's difficult to just tell someone to go and buy such particular item. Take your time and ask questions try to hook up with somebody kind of just starting nitro too because your going to need a partner.
When I first started nitro racing I bought everything on sale (not used but sale prices)and ended up with everything I wanted and the little things will just start to show