Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Still rolling on old school Sportwerks Mayhems! >

Still rolling on old school Sportwerks Mayhems!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Still rolling on old school Sportwerks Mayhems!

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2016, 06:43 AM
Suspended

Default Still rolling on old school Sportwerks Mayhems!

Here are a few snapshots of my two Sporrwerks Mayhems.

Big follower of the 1/8 Mayhem platform. One has a LRP .28 Spec 2 which consumes fuel like crazy but has a sick top end, no Jato can outrun it. Once it hits the pipe it lights up those tires and pulls super good.

The other one with a Sportwerks .21 V2, ported sleeve, more consistent and superb low to mid range acceleration w a14T.

If you have this particular model shoot me a pm, I may find it a new home.

Manufactured by Horizon Hobby, same company who runs Losi.

Last edited by crankestein; 01-07-2016 at 07:01 AM.
Old 01-08-2016, 01:23 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Nice cars man. They look very cool the way you photographed them.
Old 01-09-2016, 12:10 PM
Tech Fanatic

I've got a Mayhem ST. It was my favorite truck until Horizon dissolved the brand. I guess I got my money's worth but it still pissed me off when the parts and support disappeared. It was Horizons hot new brand.... Then it wasn't. The LHS that I bought mine from still has 2 new Mayhem ST's in his shop. I don't think he will ever sell them because he won't come down on the price lol! I feel sorry for the poor sucker that buys one, breaks it, and can't find the parts to fix it.
Old 01-10-2016, 03:24 PM
Suspended

There were some out of the box issues, aluminum shoes, springs too light, diff oil all out of spec... Today one talks about differentials combos, all the new hi tech clutches, but back in the day rtr or nothing. I guess plenty of people went back to the store returning them that the buggy or truggy does not run, when it was a matter of addressing some minor issues.

Talking about discontinue, Team Associated, Ofna and Losi has its list of discontinued chassis. I still remember the Jammin, amazing buggy out of production, but then again the crappy LX is still manufactured. HPI also discontinued the Super Nitro and the Mini, which I got two of those 2 speed.

I got a bin full of Mayhem and Turmoil parts, Hopemeup (nothing related to them) and multiple shipping discount is the norm. The good thing the differentials are still around on the XXL and some RedCat nitro buggies/truggies. I overhauled for the first time in 8 yrs the center diff gears from spare Kyosho diff parts, shimmed and done.

I was mad as well when all of a sudden it was gone. I remember back then the Hobbytown had a Pro w .21 on sale for 170 and I did not buy it because it needed a bumpstart, when today all my engines are non pull start and have two bumpstarters. Had some lunch, changed my mind and went back to buy it, they has just sold it right after I left, epic fail... Uh well.

Am on the market for a new chassis, I like the Losi but the Dynamite .31 gasoline engine is a deal breaker.
Old 01-10-2016, 10:45 PM
Tech Apprentice

I still have a Mayhem. I actually just bought a new Dynamite .31 setup from a guy and am going to put that in it and turn into a dirt oval just for the fun of it. Shouldnt break many parts that way I hope. My spares are getting low. Did you ever find any A-arms that work for it....
Old 01-10-2016, 10:46 PM
Tech Apprentice

my Brother still has a Turmoil with the Sportwerks .26v2 in it. Thats a mean little engine. He has a Mayhem also
Old 01-11-2016, 06:19 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I loved racing my mayhem. First buggy I ever raced in the 1/8 scale realm. Loved that thing. Wish I hadnt of sold it.
Old 01-29-2016, 04:21 PM
Suspended

Thats what I use mine for, racing oval in a large soccer field. The jumping and crazy bashing was breaking parts quick, also got to watch out for very cold weather as plastic gets very brittle.

There are plenty of parts found on EBAY, my favorite seller is Hopemeup. Dont just look for lowest price and shipping, its better to buy in bulk with multiple shipping discount. Many sellers dont offer it, but I breakdown a list of items and send to seller, some readjust shipping and some dont.

I tuned it down a bit, and slapped .21 on both of my Mayhems/Turmoil buggies because .28 or .31 lights the tire too quick and eats the center section of it, plus get better run times. Of course the power of .28 and above its ridiculous, the torque is phenomenal. Those .26v2 (which fyi, its the same .26, nothing changed between them, its just marketing the V2), are extremely reliable. I have one on a 1/8 On-Road running on airplane fuel 15% nitro 18% castrol oil, runs and idles smooth. Take that pan car to a parking lot and tank after tank it delivers, easy to tune.

There is still one Mayhem Pro as a shelf queen, my backup.

Ebay does have parts, but it helps to every now and then search for the part via Google and then browse other e-stores of what they got in stock. The other day I stumbled into lightweight front and rear sway bars.

To me Horizon Hobby noticed that what they made was way too good and needed to get it out of the market because that buggy does not break unless its driver's error. I just replaced a few weeks ago the spider gears and center spur gear on my first Sportwerks after 8 yrs or so of bashing.

I learned to drive them in open areas, no crazy bashing or jumping, and to stock up on parts every few months or so.

The one thing many overlook and need to buy is where the front upper pin rests, which is a plastic bushing inserted on the front shock tower, swk3134 (hinge pin bushings). At the time I am replacing little by little the wheel hubs (SWK3170) for HSP 1/8 buggy hubs. Ordered a set of front cvds from Aliexpress which the seller sent me the specs and should be a direct fit. Will report with the findings.

Last edited by crankestein; 01-29-2016 at 04:35 PM.