Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
I need a new truggy >

I need a new truggy

I need a new truggy

Old 12-19-2015, 06:17 PM
Tech Fanatic

Well guys, what got me fired up was my latest diff failure. This rebuild only lasted for 6 or 7 tanks. After taking the diff apart, I was missing 1 shim behind each output gear. The spiders each had 1 shim but the sun gears are supposed to have 2. It's totally my fault and I felt I should be honest since I don't like to talk bull$hit on the forums. I still wish the gears could be made stronger for my electric truck running 6s. I think my RC8T should be good for now. On a side note, I'm running 90 weight gear oil in my rear diff this time. Don't know what's going to happen but I ran 2 tanks today and so far so good.
Old 12-24-2015, 09:00 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Micah78
Well guys, what got me fired up was my latest diff failure. This rebuild only lasted for 6 or 7 tanks. After taking the diff apart, I was missing 1 shim behind each output gear. The spiders each had 1 shim but the sun gears are supposed to have 2. It's totally my fault and I felt I should be honest since I don't like to talk bull$hit on the forums. I still wish the gears could be made stronger for my electric truck running 6s. I think my RC8T should be good for now. On a side note, I'm running 90 weight gear oil in my rear diff this time. Don't know what's going to happen but I ran 2 tanks today and so far so good.
If you don't have proper shimming the mesh will be off causing excessive heat for sure! I learned this with my Losi truggy! Doesn't matter engine size because I'm sure my modded .21 makes more power than your .30...just saying lol but when you talk reliability...Team Losi is in a league of its own!!
Old 12-24-2015, 09:06 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Socket
Sorry, a race truck just isn't built to be beaten so badly, and maintained so badly. If you want to run that type of power with that type of grip, then you need to start replacing parts more often. Don't like it, then either tone down the power or the traction. That's a race truck built around efficiency and light weight, not speed and wheelie runs on grass.

buy a monster truck.
Well said!
Old 12-24-2015, 09:38 AM
Tech Champion

Not really. For straight up reliability truggy > MT...