Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
So what is the best clutch system....... >

So what is the best clutch system.......

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

So what is the best clutch system.......

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2015, 02:38 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default So what is the best clutch system.......

I've been running m2c lightened system & been having issues with them.... One of the pins that holds the shoes in place broke. Then the nut that holds the clutch on the crack, was tightened and broke the housing of the clutch in a qualifier. Because I had a flywheel spin on a collet which was not as tightened was the only reason it was that tight. So been looking at other systems like the Reds/Nova, Buku, or the old stock clutch system. Thanks for your input on this!
Old 12-07-2015, 02:59 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Hands down buku. Will you be at the track Saturday? Come see me and I'll walk you through the buku setup and you'll never look back.
Old 12-07-2015, 03:21 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Sure will be there. Got to pick up my bodies from mark. And try a new clutch system out. Lol
Old 12-07-2015, 03:34 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I like the BuKu also.very easy to work with.
Old 12-07-2015, 03:42 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Kakenballs
Sure will be there. Got to pick up my bodies from mark. And try a new clutch system out. Lol
You're running Mugen now? As the RC8B3 doors turn...
Old 12-19-2015, 01:25 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Imo the Lutz clutch works awesome I've got over a gallon of fuel on a set shoes with almost no wear. I run aluminum shoes with the hard springs which are equal to 1.1 springs. I'm going to try 2 plastic 1 aluminum next. Price point is awsome as well.
Old 12-19-2015, 03:11 PM
Tech Adept

Buku is the way to go. I've lost count how many gallons I've ran on the same set of shoes and its still working great. On top of that, clutch bell does not wear at all and the $1 bearings lasts much longer than in a standard clutch. Adjustment for track condition is a breeze. Usually only take an 1/16 or 1/8 of a turn here and there to get the clutch feeling perfect. Just make sure to blow out the grease in the new clutch bearing before use to avoid ruining the shoes then you are good to go. In my opinion, going buku has made running nitro much more enjoyable just for the reduced effort in clutch maintenance alone.
Old 12-19-2015, 03:20 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I like HPI's teflon clutch shoes for general use, on-road or off-road. (I tried aluminum shoes and I didn't like all the crap they deposited on the inside of the clutch bell.) Teflon shoes can slip a lot if the terrain is rough and they won't overheat anything. (useful for climbing over curbs, which is something I do on a regular basis.) However, I have a BuKu adjustable clutch with "Komposite" shoes on my T-Maxx, and it's an excellent clutch -- the adjustability really makes a big difference in tuning-away the stuttering that the T-Maxx suffers from when starting from a stop. I suppose if I were going to race, I'd go with the BuKu Komposite clutch, assuming I could get one to fit whatever vehicle I wanted to race, but otherwise HPI's teflon shoes work great. I haven't had to replace a set on any of my nitro vehicles yet.

As for clutch bearings, I use only Boca Yellow Seal ceramic bearings, and whichever bearing is going to be facing the inside of the clutch bell, I pull the seals off and spray all the grease out with CRC electronics cleaner, then reinstall the seals. That ensures the grease won't leak into the clutch bell and foul the shoes. (I learned that the hard way.) The ceramic bearings are good enough that they can run smoothly for several seasons even with no grease at all. I wouldn't do that to bearings with a harder workload, but for clutch bearings it works great.
Old 12-19-2015, 03:48 PM
Tech Addict

Buku is awesome. I've been using a novarossi lately and it's great as well.
Old 12-19-2015, 04:24 PM
Tech Regular

Buku with aluminum shoes in truggy and bonded komposite in buggy. Dialed....
Old 12-19-2015, 05:48 PM
Tech Master

Sounds like I am going to have to give Buku a go.
Old 12-20-2015, 01:49 AM
Tech Champion

You won't regret it, it's a very good design. Much more expensive than the HPI teflon shoes I mentioned previously, but you definitely get what you pay for.

I bought two so I'd have a complete spare clutch just in case parts become unavailable in the future.
Old 12-21-2015, 07:57 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Buku hands down. my flywheel has been in 3 cars and has well over 15 gallons on it. Bearing life is unreal, shoes last almost 5 gallons. It pays for its self by the 2nd gallon. and track adjustments take about 15 seconds...forget about the time spent on clutch work and focus on other things.
Old 12-23-2015, 01:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 124 (100%+)

What about loose tracks where we run four shoe clutches. Dont see a buka four shoe for sale on thier site?
Old 12-23-2015, 02:53 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by vr6cj
What about loose tracks where we run four shoe clutches. Dont see a buka four shoe for sale on thier site?
I don't really think you'd need a 4 shoe buku with the composite shoes, but they did do a run of komposite's for the Losi clutch.

Setting the buku on the soft end I felt worked well at low bite tracks like Revelation.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.