R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 04-22-2009, 05:14 PM   #1111
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Tabushi Send a message via Yahoo to Tabushi

Quote:
Originally Posted by romax View Post
Hey Tabushi, what shocks are those? They look like 16mm big bores but what brand?

On the buggy im using the 16mm Big Bore from Jammin until the CEN ones are available. On the Truggy im using Hyper ST PRO 14mm ones, just love them and give a great feeling on the truck ...

Anything you need, im here !

cya !

E-Mail : pato_concha@yahoo.com
Facebook : http://www.facebook.com/patoconcha
Whatsapp : +56 9 66165085
Tabushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 05:44 PM   #1112
Tech Adept

how's it goin' tabushi? i just picked up my first buggies, two matrix brother's lol on one of them he has the shock's from LOSI 8, i know they are different from your's but any ideas/suggestion's for spring's/oil?

thnx
madmaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 07:50 PM   #1113
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabushi View Post
On the buggy im using the 16mm Big Bore from Jammin until the CEN ones are available. On the Truggy im using Hyper ST PRO 14mm ones, just love them and give a great feeling on the truck ...

Anything you need, im here !

cya !
I am planning on getting the jammin shocks for my buggy. what springs & oil are you running ? Your track looks pretty rough like my local track. Thanks
romax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 12:18 PM   #1114
Tech Adept

what starter box & flywheel are you guy's using? i'm havin' trouble using ofna chrome top and 34mm (i think)

just put this together not to long ago and tryin' to do the break in today, my first buggy any help would be great

thnx
Old 04-25-2009, 08:12 PM   #1115
Tech Addict

I'm using the flywheel that came w/ my fre kit. I'll measure it tommorrow when i take engine out for cleaning & let you know. I use the ofna truggy box & it works good . My son has the chrome top & allthough a little heavy it's a good box also.
Old 04-26-2009, 08:12 AM   #1116
Tech Adept

my flywheel is 34mm and the wheel on the starter box is brand new, the wheel hit's the chassis a lil' bit and doesn't fully engage the flywheel.....

i found some 36mm + 38mm flywheel's was thinking of using those?

i don't wanna shred my new starter wheel ya know?

thank's!
Old 04-26-2009, 03:46 PM   #1117
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

The motor mounts might be from an RTR and will have those engine risers on them. Remove those spacers and throw them in the garbage
Old 04-26-2009, 04:50 PM   #1118
Tech Adept

i got these buggies second hand and without manual how can i tell the difference? AFAIK there are no spacer's on the mount

i pulled the motor to measure flywheel dia and there are no spacer's
Old 04-26-2009, 06:15 PM   #1119
Tech Addict

Didn't get a chance to measure today but i'm pretty sure it's 34mm. I remember reading something about this problem on RTR truggy but not buggy. Have you checked cenracing.com forum ?
Old 05-22-2009, 05:05 AM   #1120
Tech Addict

Send a message via MSN to TripleX-JT

Race Report

Driver: Josh Thompson
Date: 5-16-09
Event: Northern Hobbies Ground Pounder
Event Format: One day event with 2 – 7 min rounds of qualifying and 10 car mains with 2 bumps
Result: 18th

Car: CEN Matrix R2
Engine: GO Tech - 5 Ports .21 Turbo
Pipe: GO Tech - 0801
Tires: AKA I-Beams
Body: CEN
Fuel: Byrons 25%
Shocks: F/40 – R/35
Diffs: 3-6-3

Qualifying: With my first run ever with a 1/8th scale buggy the CEN Matrix R2 powered by GO made it real easy to get comfortable on the stand. My first round started out a little ruff. The track was real dusty and hard packed. It made it a little hard to get traction at first. Then as the qualifier went on I started to find the groove and then I was hooked up, but unfortunately it was a little too late. After the qualifier I checked the car over and noticed that all 4 of the stock R2 shock caps moved up and caused shock oil to leak out. Also the rear dog bones were bent on both the right and left sides. I ended up qualifying 9th after round 1.

With the swap of all 4 shocks and the replacements of the dog bones I was ready for round 2. I started out pretty good in round 2. I had to relearn how to drive the buggy as I went from 16.5mm shocks to 14mm shocks. It felt a little loose and ruff but I battled through it. After round 2 I was still in the 9th overall position missing the A by 10 seconds.

Finals: - B Main – Due to the pole position in the B main I was able to get out to an early lead. Everything was working great. The buggy never felt better. I maintained the lead for about 10 minutes and then that’s when the issues started. When I came down the front stretch I heard a ping from my buggy. I didn’t think too much of it until I came out of the rhythm section and my car died. I thought it shouldn’t be to big deal as I have built a pretty big lead. I swapped the glow plug and got my car out of the pits still in the lead. I made about a lap when it died again. I checked that glow plug again and the plug was actually melted but the temp of the engine was only around 220. When I tried to put the engine to BDC I could move the flywheel. I thought that was odd as I have never had an issue prior. When I finally got it to BDC it really felt sloppy. So after the race I tore the motor apart and noticed metal shaving in the housing. I checked out the piston and noticed that the wrist pin was pulled done and broke the through the mold on the piston that held it. After 7 gallons of fuel and only needing to replace the bearings once it is time to retire the good old trusty GO motor.

Overall: The CEN Matrix R2 buggy powered by a .21 5 port GO motor felt very well on the track in my first time out. I have a couple bugs yet to work out. I have new shocks on the way and I have a new GO motor ready to be broke in. So I am looking forward to getting back on the track again with my new love the CEN Matrix R2.

Upcoming Event: My next event will be Round 1 of the Northern Hobbies Point Series on June 6th.

I would like to say thanks to all of my sponsors for providing me with great equipment to run. CEN Racing, Racefactor Industries, Upgrade RC, Northern Hobbies, Khaos Designs
Old 05-22-2009, 08:04 PM   #1121
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

anyone run their matrix buggy in hot rods hobbies in sauges, california
i want to get a good set up. so i could start club racing. thanks
meno222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 07:00 AM   #1122
Tech Adept

IIRC there are a few setup sheet's posted on cenracing.com

i just beat the crap outta mine for now sorry
Old 07-03-2009, 10:05 PM   #1123
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Unhappy Questioning CEN

I hope someone in this thread can help, as I see alot of good responses to the quality and craftsman ship of the CEN Matrix R2 RTR. However, we recently purchased one off of eBay brand new and never run or opened. We were amazed when we opened the box and this would be our first attempt at the buggy, having previously owned other nitro based cars/trucks from Traxxas, HPI and Associated. We did the normal break in procedure and after about the 5th tank we noticed that the engine would really run rich after running the car for a bit. After some investigation we noticed that the highspeed needle would rattle about 1/2 turn out when the engine was running. Next we noticed a small leak out of the bottom of the carb, it doesn't appear to be sealed correctly. And all 4 shocks leak.

By no means am I giving up on this machine, however I'm a little disappointed after reading all the success everyone is having with the Matrix R2. I've contacted CEN but no response as of yet.
Old 07-04-2009, 12:01 AM   #1124
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by meno222 View Post
how many of you guys are still racing your matrix buggy fre, how does it hold against the newer buggies,would you say the matrix fre is still competitive.
Well i've had mine for 2 years and recently upgraded to the R2 diff set and chassis braces to lighten the weight. This car is great as far as durability, but it's still just too heavy.
Carbon fiber everything except front shock tower and bell crank.
bgbelden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 08:57 AM   #1125
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by highmark View Post
I hope someone in this thread can help, as I see alot of good responses to the quality and craftsman ship of the CEN Matrix R2 RTR. However, we recently purchased one off of eBay brand new and never run or opened. We were amazed when we opened the box and this would be our first attempt at the buggy, having previously owned other nitro based cars/trucks from Traxxas, HPI and Associated. We did the normal break in procedure and after about the 5th tank we noticed that the engine would really run rich after running the car for a bit. After some investigation we noticed that the highspeed needle would rattle about 1/2 turn out when the engine was running. Next we noticed a small leak out of the bottom of the carb, it doesn't appear to be sealed correctly. And all 4 shocks leak.

By no means am I giving up on this machine, however I'm a little disappointed after reading all the success everyone is having with the Matrix R2. I've contacted CEN but no response as of yet.
After talking with CEN they told me that the carb leak was because I'm running to rich. The backed out needle during run time would explain the richness. They are sending new needles for free, hopefully this fixes it.