Search

cen matrix

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 08:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bobf24
this is the buggy thread, and Cain has a RTR buggy, not a truggy,

i know what thread it is and i was saying in general 3k in a truggy is light but in a buggy its alright i never said he had a truggy i was just giving some info on the diffs
Old 05-15-2007, 05:57 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Gene, Thanks for the info. What are your thoughts on diff fluid setup when you go with 1K and above on the Matrix RTR buggies, stock diffs? Is the 3K square setup a good starting point?

Also, what ideas you see in current buggy designs that you think are good, and what you think are more gimmics?
Old 05-15-2007, 10:48 AM
Tech Master

Default The House That CEN Built

It depends on the track and driving style. I do not like using lsd diffs in the buggy.

The latest trend is light weight and ofcourse engine towards the centerline. The Matrix base was copied from the 6 time IFMAR World Champion Kyosho 7.5 buggy. CEN did not want to start out with an all new inovative design for their 1st buggy. But if they come out with a new car, we will have a totally different design from the current platform. I don't know what it will be yet because every car has its benefits and faults. The Losi is good, the Kyosho is good, the Mugen is good, and others have good design points like Xray and Magic, even though they are all very different designs. The reason I like the Matrix so much is that they took a proven design and made some improvements. Now others are copying the Matrix. Kyosho put the engine back towards the rear like the proto Matrix has had since May of 2004 (sp2), Losi went to big bore shocks like the Matrix, losi uses the rear blocks that adjust toe and antisqt just like the Matrix, Associated is using carbon fiber towers like the Matrix does, Mugen went with longer arms and the same engine placement as the proto TR Arena has had since Feb of 2006.

The only fault of the Matrix is the LSD diffs, but they are working on standard style diffs. The Matrix diffs were never designed by the racing team, they were simply taken from the Genesis MT to save costs and because they are bullet proof and can handle a 16 pound truck. But with the cross pin conversion kit, the Matrix is one of if not the best overall handling buggy available right now. We hoped that they were going to be ready for the release of the TR Arena, but they fell behind and decided to release the new truck 1st, then work on the new diffs.

The Matrix Pro has been in design and R&D since December of 2003, but has only been on the market since May of 2006, 1 year ago. I have been racing the proto TR Arena since before the Matrix Pro FRE was even available. It takes time, and CEN Racing has accomplished a lot in a very short time. Too bad some people did not want to stick it out and honor their contracts to help us develope the products farther. I guess getting a paycheck is more important to some then testing and wrenching on their cars and giving it 100% to try to win and improve. But Team CEN Racing is better off now with several very dedicated drivers who are at the track every week for 1 reason and 1 reason only - to always improve the product and try to win. We have no Super Stars, just good racers who work well together like a team should and always give it their all.

Last edited by Machine's R/C H; 05-15-2007 at 12:58 PM.
Old 05-15-2007, 11:29 AM
Tech Rookie

+5 for Gene's well versed post.

That's why Gene is the man!

Gene, I'm actually using the cross pins in the Genesis too. Trying to get my GST down to about 12 lbs.
Old 05-15-2007, 11:40 AM
Tech Master

My Nemesis weighs just over 12 pounds.
Old 05-15-2007, 12:37 PM
Tech Master

i think Team CEN r&d are super stars for GIVING thier all
Old 05-15-2007, 12:50 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 220 (100%+)

how is customer support for cen products . i live in ohio and nobody really deals with them . maybe hobbytown but it's a waste of time dealing with them . i have been interested in running a matrix fte but everybody says they are junk
Old 05-15-2007, 12:57 PM
Tech Master

Any dealer that carries Team Losi can order CEN parts. They are both distributed through Horizon Hobby.

This is what the junk has been doing on the track for the last year:
http://www.cenracing.com/race/result.html
Old 05-15-2007, 01:09 PM
Tech Champion

so what's the deal with the diffs
Old 05-15-2007, 01:20 PM
Tech Master

Just read the previous 300+ posts.

They are LSD (limited slip differential) style diffs like the Kyosho Kanai Edition LSD diffs. They work completely different then a standard diff. They lock up (get stiff & harder to turn) as they spin so that they apply power evenly to both wheels. They work great for MT's, but make a buggy hard to handle on loose or really bumpy tracks. Some people like them, as Richard Saxton TQ'd the 2002 IFMAR Worlds with a front and rear and Greg Degani won with a front one I believe.
Old 05-15-2007, 01:30 PM
Tech Champion

what other diffs can you run then
Old 05-15-2007, 01:58 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Gene,

PM me a price for your full pin conversion and the CNC front shock tower shipped priority mail.

Also, any warranty on the pins you make? And when I have the pin conversion on, what is a good starting point for a bumpy dry track?
Old 05-15-2007, 04:15 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by pink_sleeve
what other diffs can you run then

despite of who you might of heard that from you dont need to run different diffs just run genes pins and you will be fine
Old 05-16-2007, 11:39 AM
Tech Master

I will have new hardened cross pins next week. They will last a long time because they are harder then the diff gears. New pricing to come soon.
Old 05-18-2007, 11:10 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

I have a Matrix FRE with a long chassis that has the machined cut-outs and I have an extra stamped alum. chassis that looks like its from the RTR. Is there another chassis other than these two? Is there a short chassis that is machined? If so where can I get from?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.