R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 05-09-2007, 09:19 AM   #346
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

i would reconmend 3-4 tanks just at idel and then 2-3 reving it up at low rpms (no more than half throttle) then start leaning it it out by hour increments and still stay easy on the engine
Make sure you keeps the temps under 210 till you get about 9 tanks through it and when its fully broken in these engines like to run hot so 240-265 will not be a bad temp for this engine
Old 05-09-2007, 09:44 AM   #347
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 233 (100%+)

Lots of opinions on the best methods to break in. The idle method seems similar to what OS recommended in there manual and worked fine for my VG. But I have done the heat cycle method and that works great too.

I saw a guy do one method where he basically idled I think the first tank, and just pegged it the next few tanks, slobberly rich, but had it WOT as he broke it in. From what i can tell, seemed to work fine and breakin went fast. His engine had lots of pop.

I am going to be working on my Matrix, full teardown this week. I plan to go with these changes for a bumpy setup from the stock RTR setup:

3TS1 block change
#3 piston in the rear
35W front, 40W rear
3K-3K-3K diff setup ( have standard diffs)

Also mounting up my CNC parts like the bellcrank, knuckles, and rear shock tower.
Old 05-09-2007, 10:30 AM   #348
Tech Master

These were just some of the drivers using Cen's at the Alabama Indoor classic
Machine's R/C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 10:33 AM   #349
Tech Master

Bob "spanky" Bjorkam TQ's and wins 1/8 Sportsman buggy at round 1 of the RC Pro FL Series with a CEN Matrix.
Old 05-09-2007, 05:19 PM   #350
Tech Rookie

Hi to all the Matrix supporters here,
I'm new to the RC scene and I'd like to find a cheaper alternative to start up the hobby, the CEN Matrix RTR seems to be a good bet, as its selling for usd339.99 at the Amains, I'm not from the US instead I'm from Asia, the shipping fees nowadays has been cutting down by a lot...although my country LHS seldom carry CEN's part but I guess that wouldn't be an issue as replacement part can be purchase online and these parts usually are small and can ship via Airmail Parcel which just costs like usd5-10 depending on the weight.

Hereby I really wish all the Matrix owner can feedback me in terms on what hop-ups I can purchase through Amains (as this is one of the few sites that carry CEN and provide international shipping) in order to make the already solid built Matrix RTR score even more in term of the durability.

And what's the items in the buggy that wear-and-tear fast so that I can purchase some of it together with the RTR kit, like clutch? As I've read some reviews some of the RTR wear-out clutch like nobody business.

Its been rewarding by reading the forum and I wish I can have my RC soon to start-up the hobby, how about the RTR servos? is it durable?

I mostly will use the buggy to run around tarmac around my house area and bash at some of the areas, may be join club-racing once in a while...

Let the opinions/suggestions flow...thnx
creed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 08:49 PM   #351
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Hey guys, have a question about clutch bells. I've put a gallon on the stock bell, and it is pretty much destroyed. So I went and purchased an Ofna clutch bell from the local hobby shop (all that they had). Got home, began to install the new bell, to find that it is considerably shorter than the CEN bell. I can get it to mount just fine, but when the engine is mounted in the car, the pinion is off center to the spur, were as the CEN bell was almost dead center.

Anyway my question is, do you have to use a CEN bell to keep everything in line, or is there other brands that will fit just the same?
porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 09:30 PM   #352
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

ofna makes a bell that will work and if its only slightly off then you will be fine just make sure all of the gear is touching the bell gear

and to make it last longer after a day of running check your mesh cause as the gear wears down you can move the motor over for a reset of the original mesh cause i last on clutch bells for about 5-6 months of racing and practice every weekend
Old 05-09-2007, 09:41 PM   #353
Tech Master

The new hardened bells are much better but if you cant get one kyosho bells work perfectly.
Old 05-10-2007, 06:12 AM   #354
Tech Legend

creed: The Matrix RTR is pretty good out of the box without needing any of the hopups for what you are going to do. I would probably buy some spares, and if necessary depending on how hard you drive, I would probably get the CNC steering knuckles and maybe the shock towers. Also, a rear hingepin brace in alloy (3TS1 I hear is good standard) can be used. I have a warchest of parts here, but haven't had the need to use them. Only thing I have broken is the rear wing position holes (so you can adjust the angle of the wing), I just locked it in place.

Only issue of where I have heard of is on the outdrives, and I think that was corrected with harder versions. I called CEN up about this and they just sent me a bunch of new ones as spares. excellent company!
Old 05-10-2007, 07:10 AM   #355
Tech Initiate

I use Jeans bumpy track set up. With the stock diffs. I went out to the track lastnight and tested, I will say this i am not going to adjust anything. THis matrix felt more stable and handle better than any of the other buggys i have owned and race. I am going to put this thing under my pillow and sleep with it at night.! I am in LOVE!
FT_Wacked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 10:17 AM   #356
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Thanks guys, this is only my second year with 1/8 scale, and I didn't realize that there was this big of differences between clutch bells. I ran Thunder Tiger last season, and didn't have a single problem with clutch bells, cause they never wore to the point of replacment.

I'll run the car this week with the Ofna bell, and order the correct parts.
porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 10:31 AM   #357
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

I've used TTR bells on my car too, because like you I had a TTR before the CEN, so I had some bells still
bobf24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 02:15 PM   #358
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Do the CEN shock reservoirs from the GST fit the Matrix FRE shocks? Also, are the reservoirs necessary for handling on bumpy tracks?

Lastly, what is a good engine to recommend for the Matrix? Would the OS .21VG be good enough? How about the STS D.21E?
YR4Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 02:44 PM   #359
Tech Legend

CEN has released reservoirs specific for the matrix. I think its more oriented towards those running really long mains, could be wrong. If you are running 5 minute stuff, not sure if its necessary.

I have an OS VG .21 in my Matrix. Extremely happy with it so far. A whole lot of lowend and coupled with the Ofna 086 pipe I have it works great. For the money, excellent engine.

I was thinking of an STS, but was steered away by various people on the board. More so that I got alot more good comments about the OS stuff than the STS. For a starting out engine, the OS VG is a good choice.
Old 05-12-2007, 06:28 AM   #360
Tech Master

The GST & Matrix Shocks are the same (Matrix Shocks are an upgrade alum body for the GST). The resiviors work awesome on bumpy tracks and long A-mains.