R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 04-25-2007, 04:07 PM   #316
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

the 1.1mm springs are stiffer, therefore the engine will rev a little higher before the clutch engages. This will give you a little more snap on the bottom
odoylrulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 04:30 PM   #317
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (96%+)

Here is a simple way to put the clutches. If you plan on running a low maintanance setup then run a carbon clutch with a softer spring. If you plan on running the fastest possible setup then run a firmer spring with alum shoes. The carbon clutch will not give you that snap and just wear down faster if you set it up to snap. The alum will bite properly if it's set up to snap. However, you will need to sand off the excess alum like every 20 minutes of running. A simple way to put it is, if you are racing sand it after your heats and then after an extended main. All you are doing is removing the excess material, you aren't trying to actualy sand it down. The carbon will just turn the dust, but the alum will just stay in the clutch and build up untill it causes problems. That snap is caused because the typical nitro engine has more torque as you get closer to the middle of it's power band thus it initialy starts with more torque. It is funny how hotbodies has had a 1/10th scale truggy out on the market for the longest time that has not recieved any attention and now the mini jammin is getting tons of attention.
party_wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 05:59 PM   #318
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 233 (100%+)

Thanks for the tip. I am going to go with Gene's setup, and 1.0mm springs. I heard of doing a 1.1mm on the one alloy shoe. Anyone else use this?

So basically, if I want a low maintenance setup, go with carbons.

On a side note, various companies have 1/10 scale trucks, 4wd, you would think that would be a good class as you get the handling of 4wd in a size that doesn't beat up the track as a 1/8 scale. But, maybe the smaller dimensions make it a cute car. I just am not sure about that pipe hanging out like it does.

One other thing, can someone quickly measure the recessed area on there proline or panther rims (or any other rims that have a recessed area where the thread nut sits when you mount the rims up) . The wheels I have only have 20mm spacing. Heck my thin walled Jammin socket driver is more than that. Trying to confirm with the company that prolines are wider.
Old 04-26-2007, 05:34 AM   #319
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

another thing to consider for clutch set up is the track your running on, if its really dry and dusty, you may want to run a carbon set up, or aluminum with 1.0 or 0.9 springs, because it will make power deilivery smoother and you wont break traction as easy, on the other hand if youve got some bigger jumps with not alot of run up to them, the aluminum with 1.1 springs will make it easier to clear them, also on a really rough bumpy track, its better to go with a smoother clutch set up, becuase it wont get as squirrelly on the bumps, its all just educated trial and error really, try different stuff and see what works for you,
bobf24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 05:38 AM   #320
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

also for the wheel thing, I didn't measure them, but you can be gauranteed its more, if you are running the stock CEN hexes, I've used panther, GRP, and proline wheels, and I dont have thin walled wrenches, and I've got lots of clearance, just get the name brand wheels and you will be fine, the cheap ebay stuff may be cheaper, but when you have to buy twice its more money, even the rubber arn't a good deal, proline, panther and GRP have put alot of testing into theirs, the cheap knock offs while they look the same, arn't the same rubber compounds, and thats what makes the difference, the tread is only half of what makes a good tire good,

if you like the spoked wheels, look at GRP, they make a nice 12 spoke wheel,
bobf24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 06:38 AM   #321
Tech Legend

I think I found the problem with the wheels, the recessed area is only big enough as far as to let the nut sit. Part of the nut does stick out, about 1/3 - 1/4 of it, and you can still grab the nut with the jammin wrench I have. So I was able to tighten them down. I am still working however with the seller as they said the hole should be proline size, which is 25mm.

I actually like the tires. The compound works on the track I was running at.

Thanks for the advice on the clutch. I went with 2 carbons, 1 aluminum, and 1.0mm springs all around. If I need more snap I'll go to 1.1mm, maybe just on the aluminum first.

I did notice however that the stock collet that came with the CEN NX .26 engine and flywheel doesn't fit correctly on the OS .21 VG engine. not enough grab. I could just spin it around no problem. I went with another collet and 2 shims on the pilot shaft prior to the collet instead of just 1, seems to hold much better.
Old 04-26-2007, 01:15 PM   #322
Tech Master

http://www.racetalklive.com/broadcasts/rcrace4-25.wma

Andy Smolnik and Big Pudin on Racetalklive.
Machine's R/C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 08:02 PM   #323
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Does the shock piston set (GS230) come with a set of 4 for each piston size?
Ie: 4 of #1, 4 of #2, 4 of #3.

thnx
kamlooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 08:41 PM   #324
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machine's R/C H
http://www.racetalklive.com/broadcasts/rcrace4-25.wma

Andy Smolnik and Big Pudin on Racetalklive.
They mentioned the develoment of a new truck to compete with the
Jammin crt .5!! I cant wait!
kamlooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 07:49 AM   #325
Tech Master

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Z2AafQDmLI
Old 04-27-2007, 07:57 AM   #326
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default WOW

Man that track is sick and that double is even SICKER!!!!
Hudy
Max Power
Majestic Rc
Upgrade RC
RCID
Coopz Lidz(Amazing Work)
Werks Racing
Toys4BigBoys
Rcmtracer.com
losi8ight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 08:19 AM   #327
Tech Legend

Who knows, maybe this will be a class that will replace 2wd nitro trucking. Seeing the various videos, looks like fun.
Old 04-28-2007, 06:31 AM   #328
Tech Master

http://www.beaverstick.net/aicprobuggyA.wmv

Alabama video
Old 04-28-2007, 10:50 AM   #329
Tech Rookie

I'm also running a single 'blue' Aluminum with a 1.1 and 2 carbon shoe's with 1.0's in my race Matrix. Seems to work well with the Rossi Cobra and Mamba's I'm using lately. A few weeks ago I installed Gene's cross pin kit in this same buggy and it really sharpens up the turn in and overall balance in the turns.

I have to say that I really like the Matrix RTR buggies right out of the box; I run 2 RTR's bone stock as hi-po bashers and they both hold up extremely well.
fl_799 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 10:55 PM   #330
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to jfc_tech

OMG Gene... thats awesome jumps. thats really killer jumps indeed.

deserved to be blogged.