Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
engine temps am i reading right >

engine temps am i reading right

engine temps am i reading right

Old 09-13-2015, 11:16 AM
Tech Adept

Default engine temps am i reading right

I have experimented with cheap infrared thermometers recently and it seems that these things are extremely inaccurate.Does the accuracy improve as their price go up or am I wasting my money?I need to buy a new engine and have to know I'm reading temps correctly.What other ways of checking engine temperature are you using?
Thanks.
Old 09-13-2015, 11:22 AM
Tech Adept

Did not read the sticky on posting on engine forum.
Old 09-13-2015, 11:33 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

I would only use a temp gauge if I somehow became deaf.
Old 09-13-2015, 11:48 AM
Tech Adept

I understand what you mean but I cannot hear what you hear, at least not yet, that is why I started this thread.
Old 09-13-2015, 11:59 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kibble
I understand what you mean but I cannot hear what you hear, at least not yet, that is why I started this thread.
Go to a local park and spend time with your nitro and try to understand what sounds to listen for as anything else is really a waste of time and money.... Temp guns add some convenience for knowing your temps but in terms of actually tuning they offer you nothing that a few drops of water or spit wont do for you, in the end learning to tune by sound is easier then you would think and the results are unbeatable........... As a hint the main thing I try to really listen for is how the engine reacts when you let off the throttle.... a properly tuned engine will idle down quickly to a low steady idle...a lean or improperly tuned engine will struggle to idle down quickly and often times will hang RPM......... in fact a lean engine will never idle down nicely, it will always want to hang RPM or ring ping ping when you let off trigger.......no matter what a temp gun says if the engine idles down correctly its not overheating...and if the engine is ring pinging pinging and the temps are reading normal doesn't mean the engine is not lean and starving for fuel.................The sound these engines make never lies, you cannot trick or fool me with a lean engine, I can hear it immediately when you let off the trigger, you can't make a lean engine engine sound proper even if you tried, this is why tuning by sound is soo much better then by temps.....
Old 09-13-2015, 12:27 PM
Tech Adept

Thanks for your reply.I will try to do that and learn the lean signs that I have to be aware of.
Old 09-13-2015, 02:15 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Maximo
Go to a local park and spend time with your nitro and try to understand what sounds to listen for as anything else is really a waste of time and money.... Temp guns add some convenience for knowing your temps but in terms of actually tuning they offer you nothing that a few drops of water or spit wont do for you, in the end learning to tune by sound is easier then you would think and the results are unbeatable........... As a hint the main thing I try to really listen for is how the engine reacts when you let off the throttle.... a properly tuned engine will idle down quickly to a low steady idle...a lean or improperly tuned engine will struggle to idle down quickly and often times will hang RPM......... in fact a lean engine will never idle down nicely, it will always want to hang RPM or ring ping ping when you let off trigger.......no matter what a temp gun says if the engine idles down correctly its not overheating...and if the engine is ring pinging pinging and the temps are reading normal doesn't mean the engine is not lean and starving for fuel.................The sound these engines make never lies, you cannot trick or fool me with a lean engine, I can hear it immediately when you let off the trigger, you can't make a lean engine engine sound proper even if you tried, this is why tuning by sound is soo much better then by temps.....
100% agree. I never use my temp gun.
Old 09-13-2015, 02:38 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Maximo
I 110% agree I have never had a temp gun. I have
Always did it. By sound and smoke
Old 09-13-2015, 04:44 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Temp gun is ok for a high level reading, so inaccuracy doesn't matter. Different between 140 and 146 doesn't really matter....it's rich and cool.

So for someone starting, it is a good tool to just get an idea of the temp as you experiment and learn about tuning, the sound of the engine, how it behaves properly tuned, smoke, etc.
Old 09-13-2015, 05:13 PM
Tech Fanatic

I know when temp gun is really useful.
Its when you're preheating engine, and want to know is it ready to start or not.
Old 09-13-2015, 07:41 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I've found a temp gun comes in real handy for break in, but after that it makes a good toy for the cat
Old 09-14-2015, 12:13 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I use mine mostly for break in, and then just as a reference at times. I don't tune by it.
Old 09-14-2015, 04:57 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

I think checking temps is good for newbies to get an idea.

I haven't used a temp gun for many years.

The little cheap ones are close enough to tell if temps are out too far and will do until you have tuning experience.

Reading the glow plug is just as important.