Wiki Posts
Search

Setup tuning steps

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2015, 06:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Setup tuning steps

What steps do you guys take when changing setups? Like start with tires then what? And what do you hope to change with those changes, grip, stability etc etc
Old 07-19-2015, 06:59 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Depends on what I am looking for. If I need more steering I will adjust font roll center then spring then Ackerman then Sway bar. .But not necessarily in that order every time, all depends on where I am looking for the steering and how the car behaves other places on the track. IMO it's not the same every time.

I would agree that I start with the correct tire.
Old 07-19-2015, 06:59 PM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Well it really depends on what you are trying to get out of the car. If its lacking grip, I start with tires, then look to see where its lacking grip(side bite,forward bite, etc) and you make changes to camber or toe or roll center from there, even springs, oils, and pistons.

If its not jumping right or slapping the chassis on landings and things then ill stiffen the shock package up either with oils or what have you. Once you find out where the car becomes how you like it, it will only vary so much from from track to track and it becomes easier to setup.

Basically start with the easy stuff and go from there, make single changes at a time and see what each of them do and that will tell you what to change in the future and you show you first hand how each change effects the car and you can get it how you want it
Old 07-19-2015, 07:31 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Hmm i see i see.

Thanks
Old 07-22-2015, 03:43 AM
Tech Apprentice

Set the car as standard.

1. Grip - get the tyres right
2. Suspension - is it bumpy then soften the oils. is it smooth then increase.
jumps - if they are huge then may reduce the piston hole size to stop bottoming out on landing.
3. Drivetrain - i normally set my oils a little thin than standard with a forgiving clutch.

4. Cornering - i control this with lower arm shock position and sway bars.
Initial turn in - want a bit more then move in on the arm, want a bit less then out on the arm.
Through the corner i balance the car with sway bars, over steering to much then increase the front and/or reduce the rear. Under steering to much then soften the front and/or increase the rear.

5. Camber i always run -3 rear and -2 front
6. Anti squat is generally -2

This is what i do and it gives me a pretty consistant and easy to drive car

Last edited by ShamoneCSOR; 07-22-2015 at 04:43 AM.
Old 07-22-2015, 10:06 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

super cool thread, im no seasoned race vet but playing with r/c cars for a lifetime, you kinda get a feel for what you need and whats lacking, a lot of the time, i end up playing with my radio more than car setup, tweaking epa and punch, or for nitro, throttle servo speed and epa, find it quicker to tweak the radio than the car, too bad theres no shock servo....

i like my cars to behave netural, so there all kinda ball park of each other, and im talking stadium truck, wheeler, ebuggy, nitro buggy, truggy's... you kinda just get a feel for how you want to drive... than tinker, test, better or worse, repeat...

i really find running in big open space, baseball field, parking lot, backyard... gives a good idea of what to expect from the car and its reactions on/off power/ steering, and general behavior, so when im at the track, i kinda have a better understanding of "feel" and what i should play around with... i think the best setups are base, than just getting comfortable driving your car... not think too hard about changes, just drive more and the understanding of changes become clear, and the first thing you realize as i always do... "these tires suck"