Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2015, 08:25 PM
Tech Rookie

Talking Newbie

Hey guys, a couple of my hobbies currently are electric R/C helicopters and go karts. I'm looking to combine the two possibly into nitro cars. I know some but not a lot and just have some basic questions before I start blowing away my money like normally.

First of all when it comes to fuel is the oil premixed or must you do that on your own? Assuming all nitro engines are an oil fuel mix. (Is that accurate)?

Second which brand(s) and size(s) are the easiest to modify? (I had a Japanese brand heli that was a strange size. Parts were very difficult to find and often took 2-3 weeks to arrive. I do not want this problem again)

And lastly what recommendations would you have for someone like me? (Do not say start with an electric, I enjoy jumping into the tricky stuff off the bat)
Old 07-07-2015, 03:43 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by aj992
Hey guys, a couple of my hobbies currently are electric R/C helicopters and go karts. I'm looking to combine the two possibly into nitro cars. I know some but not a lot and just have some basic questions before I start blowing away my money like normally.

First of all when it comes to fuel is the oil premixed or must you do that on your own? Assuming all nitro engines are an oil fuel mix. (Is that accurate)?

Second which brand(s) and size(s) are the easiest to modify? (I had a Japanese brand heli that was a strange size. Parts were very difficult to find and often took 2-3 weeks to arrive. I do not want this problem again)

And lastly what recommendations would you have for someone like me? (Do not say start with an electric, I enjoy jumping into the tricky stuff off the bat)
Nitro fuel comes pre mixed - Byrons is one of the best fuels. See what is available locally so you don't have to ship. I buy my race fuel a gallon at a time because I just don't get to race as much as I want to. When I was flying Heli's and planes I bought 6 cases a year. Now I'm lucky to burn 5 gallons a year racing.

All the main stream brands are pretty standard. Do you have a local track you will be racing on? LHS? stop there and see what is popular. Kyosho, Mugen, Losi, Teckno, Associated, X-ray are the biggest names right now when it comes to 1/8th scale buggies. With Teckno being the newest player but they have good support like the other major brands.

You can't go wrong with Novarossi or O.S. engines. I prefer Novarossi. As for electronics the big names are Futaba, Hitec, and Savox.