Search

How do I get the losi 4 piece clutch spring and shoe together

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2015, 03:35 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)
Default How do I get the losi 4 piece clutch spring and shoe together

Hello all,

How on earth do I get the losi 4 piece clutch spring and shoe together? The horizon hobby video suggest that I run the pin through a grinder to taper it to make it easier. Short of doing that - how do I do it?

The pin just doesn't want to go through the spring.
Old 06-20-2015, 07:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Garet Jax
Hello all,

How on earth do I get the losi 4 piece clutch spring and shoe together? The horizon hobby video suggest that I run the pin through a grinder to taper it to make it easier. Short of doing that - how do I do it?

I know a lot of people who taper the end to make it easier. Funny thing is, I have never done this in the 10 years I have been running Losi 8's... The spring will sit further in the shoe when the pin is not installed. Its just a matter of getting all the holes lined up.

This is how I do it.
1. Put the long end of the spring in the shoe and make sure it slides in and out easily.
2. Set the shoe/spring in on the flywheel where you want it.
3. Put the pin in as far as you can by hand. If it goes into the other side of the shoe, you are half way there. If it doesn't line up, use a dull hobby knife or small screw driver to help line everything up to slide it into the other side of the shoe.
4. Squeeze the shoe so it sits flush on the flywheel with your thumb and fore finger on one hand, and use the other hand with the allen driver to screw the pin in. Wiggle and jiggle may be required to get the far end of the pin into the flywheel If you cant squeeze hard enough with your hand, use some soft jaw pliers or channel locks with some padding on them so you don't gull up the shoe surface.
5. Snug down the pin and give the shoe a stiff pull to make sure it returns back to its resting position.
6. Repeat for the other 3 shoes.

The only time I have to use my pliers is when I run silvers. And that is only a couple times. With all the other springs, I can use my fingers.

Good luck.
Old 06-20-2015, 07:29 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Garet Jax
Hello all,

With the spring in the shoe and shoe in place on the fly wheel, press down hard on the side of the shoe closest to the motor side of the fly wheel. It will work it's just a little tough to get lined up correctly. If you think the pin is too big test it on the spring before you put the spring in the shoe. If it fits thru the spring and fits thru the shoe it will work. If you are using the gold or silver springs they are much stiffer and are tougher to get the pin thru. Just keep working on it. It will go.
Old 06-21-2015, 08:46 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jerm13
Originally Posted by Austin's dad
Thanks a lot guys. I was finally able to do it, but it took a lot of sweat and tears, a little blood and a few beers.

I have some black springs that I just couldn't get working. I ended up using two silver and two gold springs.

I ended up ruffing up the shoes a little bit. I hear some "grinding" noises when the car is running. I will probably have to file down the burrs a little bit to see if that makes a difference.