Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SC10GT Ball diff....out of ideas

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2015, 05:13 AM
Tech Rookie

Default SC10GT Ball diff....out of ideas

Ok so ive rebuilt my SC10GT ball diff so many times i can do it blind folded upside major payne style!
I have researched and researched and research. Even contacted AE.
I have purchased a AE rebuild kit, acer diff balls, and acer thrust balls, 50k oil, ae black grease, ae diff lube. Rebuilt the diff, the thrust bolt loosens up, contacted AE, they sent me a new bolt and t-nut. Problem seemed to vanish after replacing it .....again. After i got the diff set following this
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

i havent ran the truck at full throttle becuase i cant get the slipper set. The diff slips, i know its a no no, but i locked the diff down. Pulled full tension on the thrust bolt. Locked down the slipper trying to get the front wheels to lift some. Diff slipped under %25 throttle. Im open to all ideas please. Im at my wits end with this thing!

Last night i tore the diff apart and put all the old parts back in, the original problem was that the thrust bolt broke. So i put everything back to the way it was minus the thrust bolt and t nut. Still wont tighten up.

TIA
Old 06-19-2015, 05:23 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

sorry, i have no answer but pretty similar problem. my original diff melted the gear from slipping so much, i replaced it with a metal gear so it at least doesn't melt down but it really needs a gear diff.
Old 06-19-2015, 06:09 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by shein95
sorry, i have no answer but pretty similar problem. my original diff melted the gear from slipping so much, i replaced it with a metal gear so it at least doesn't melt down but it really needs a gear diff.
Brand new out the box rebuild didnt want to tighten up all the way, i inspected the diff gear thoroughly. No signs of melting, no signs of chipped teath, The only thing i felt that was suspect was that the holes that the diff balls sit, wouldnt slide in smoothly, its like they kind of clicked when you push them in the holders. As if a lip formed in the hole. Im at a loss of ideas now.

Where did you find the metal diff gear?
Old 06-21-2015, 11:08 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I got it from amain. Robinson racing. Think it's just too much motor for the ball diff. My original rc10gt had zero issues and was far more hooked up than the sc10gt.