Wiki Posts
Search

Maintenance Routines

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2015, 06:40 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Maintenance Routines

Recently, it has become apparent that I don't do enough maintenance on my kit.

What routines do the more experienced racers follow to ensure their car is always in tip-top shape? What are some parts that I should be replacing/maintaining regularly? What should I be looking for to see what needs to be done other than the general cleaning (high-pressure water + WD-40 to prevent rust)?

Also, what does a full-rebuild entail for you (in preparation for big events)?

I'm getting a new kit soon so I want to make sure I don't let this one slip into the run-down shape my current kit is in.

Any advice will be highly appreciated!
Old 05-26-2015, 08:05 AM
Tech Adept

I split it into big and small revisions.
Small revision is after one race or about 2 or 4 hours of running, it depends a bit on the track. I will do: Complete cleaning, changing of middle diff oil and bearings, clutch bearings, shock oil.

Big revision/complete rebuild is after about 8 to 10 hours or sooner before an important race. Complete disassembly. Change all bearings, all pins, all oils, clutch shoes and springs, replace worn links or torn rubber boots.

Everything else is basically setup change or repairs. All maintenance during races is new air filters and clutch bearings.
Your cleaning and maintenance cycles will depend a lot on where you run and how abrasive that surface and the dust and dirt are.
Old 05-26-2015, 08:22 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I personally never liked the idea of washing my buggy off with water since water and oils/bearings dont go together. During a race day I will use a toothbrush to knock off any loose dirt and I will look over the buggy for broken parts. I will also check all of the screws. If I do a minor clean up before a race I will usually take apart the steering bellcranks, and swaybars to make sure they move freely. I will also clean the dirt out of the hinge pin holes and clean the driveshafts. On a major rebuild I clean and inspect everything, replace any gritty bearings. If I am driving every weekend I will do a major rebuild about once a month.
Old 05-27-2015, 04:14 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by HomicidalBunny
What does "become apparent" mean? I ask as this should help inform you of what you need to do more of. If you are having specific failures or issues then think about upping maintenance in those areas, or understanding root causes (like if you are having bearing failures is it because of the high pressure wash).
Old 05-27-2015, 06:44 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MichaelinOz
What does "become apparent" mean? I ask as this should help inform you of what you need to do more of. If you are having specific failures or issues then think about upping maintenance in those areas, or understanding root causes (like if you are having bearing failures is it because of the high pressure wash).
Well the most recent one was one of the shock seal retainers unscrewed itself during a race.
I've had screws come out (but that's just my own negligence, I've learnt from that one). I've had flywheels/clutch bells come loose even though I've cranked the screw and/or nut as hard as I could, sometimes even getting help from bigger guys.
No "major failures" as such more recently, but mainly the fact that the car is sloppy, and it feels like the setup can change spontaneously during a race. The only time I've had a bearing failure (apart from clutch bearings) is due to me not replacing them when I should have; the bearing that failed was easily 3-4 months old.
Other than that, I don't really know what is wrong with it, all I know is that there are things that aren't right.
Old 05-27-2015, 07:02 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Prior to every race I clean my car and prep it by listening for bad squeaky bearings, looking for worn or cracked plastic, checking screws to maintain a tight kit. I will usually change my oils after every 2-3 race days or about a gallon of running. Shock oil can be changed quicker if I am running in a dusty area. Usually bearings are swapped out every 1-2 gallons. Clutch bearings are checked more frequently. If I'm tearing the diff all the way down I change the bearings. I do enjoy building a new kit every year maintence on the bench = smiles on the track.
Old 05-28-2015, 02:44 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Rebuild

Originally Posted by HomicidalBunny

What routines do the more experienced racers follow to ensure their car is always in tip-top shape? What are some parts that I should be replacing/maintaining regularly? What should I be looking for to see what needs to be done other than the general cleaning (high-pressure water + WD-40 to prevent rust)?

Also, what does a full-rebuild entail for you (in preparation for big events)?

I'm getting a new kit soon so I want to make sure I don't let this one slip into the run-down shape my current kit is in.

Any advice will be highly appreciated!

I do a total rebuild of the car every time i take it to a race track!

i will Take the front end off strip the whole thing and Service the bearings or replace them depends on how warn out they are! i will do the diffs and shocks and this usually takes me about 4 hour at night after work! just to get the front end done. Then i also do the same with the rear of the car. the center diff is a bit different, you need to take good care of it i never ever bring Water near the center diff as you damage your pads and there are places you just can not keep dry if you wet it! i don't usually wash my car i don't like to clean of rust ext! in the Past i did it all the time but i had to many breakages and it just felt like i am missing the Bigger Picture! What you put into your car you will enjoy it on the track!
Old 05-28-2015, 08:28 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

4 hours to do just the front end? If I spend 4 hours on the entire car I was watching a ton of TV in between wrenching.
Old 05-28-2015, 08:31 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Sworkz evo 2
I do a total rebuild of the car every time i take it to a race track!

i will Take the front end off strip the whole thing and Service the bearings or replace them depends on how warn out they are! i will do the diffs and shocks and this usually takes me about 4 hour at night after work! just to get the front end done. Then i also do the same with the rear of the car. the center diff is a bit different, you need to take good care of it i never ever bring Water near the center diff as you damage your pads and there are places you just can not keep dry if you wet it! i don't usually wash my car i don't like to clean of rust ext! in the Past i did it all the time but i had to many breakages and it just felt like i am missing the Bigger Picture! What you put into your car you will enjoy it on the track!
4 hours to do the front shocks/diff/bearings? I think there are ways to bring that down a few hours.