Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree4Likes

Bio Ethanol and The Future of Fuel Racing

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2015, 05:56 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Apco1
Even environmental concerns do not seem to be present to force a shift in the fuel we use. Methanol is a naturally occurring, biodegradable alcohol. No serious environmental concerns here. Nitromethane also is not a serious environmental concern Dow chemical corporation says this about Nitromethane:

Also

So what I take from this is that on its own Nitro does not break down naturally, but when exposed to sunlight it decomposes. So again, in reality nitro isn't even a major concern.

That leaves the oil, most of which are a blend of synthetic and castor. Potentially the most harmful thing in the fuel for the environment is the synthetic oil.
so case closed Maxima is trying to be innovative but in doing that... trying to rake in profits and this will or may make RC nitro racing suffer.. or it could well be a option.. as a option its fine.. doesnt mean all other companies need to make the switch .

mmmm dont think we want that do we??? i dont
Old 04-29-2015, 06:16 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DaRaceMasta
so case closed Maxima is trying to be innovative but in doing that... trying to rake in profits and this will or may make RC nitro racing suffer.. or it could well be a option.. as a option its fine.. doesnt mean all other companies need to make the switch .

mmmm dont think we want that do we??? i dont
I could see it working if they still used some nitro in the blend, just traded one alcohol for another. Would still be more expensive, but run times could be better, haven't read anything that contradicts the run time argument. But a nitro-less fuel... color me skeptical. We've talked about airplane engines running on 0%, but a comparable sized plane engine runs at half the rmp of a car engine. The OS 2101 buggy engine RPM range is 4,000-42,000. The OS 25FX which is a sport/competition plane engine runs 19,000 on the high end of its range. Yet the 2101 puts out almost 3x the horsepower as the .25 at just below twice the rpm. Our buggy engines today are very impressive little mills and I don't think you'll get that power without having some nitro in the fuel.
Old 04-29-2015, 06:25 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

I think neobuggy.net messed up on the article. They are using ethanol instead of methanol. If you look at the bottle it still says 25% nitro. The article talks about methanol being the issue in many countries not nitro.

Quote from neobuggy.net
"We were told that races were being cancelled, transport was difficult and still is difficult, storage was a nightmare due to laws and regulations in relation to Methanol and not Nitro which comes as a surprise.*So shortly afterwards, we finalized out first blend ..... About the time Tebo won his first Neo Race with Maxima (2013), we started to formulate the Bio blends.*- Jarb*Ratanarat"
Old 04-29-2015, 06:30 PM
Tech Regular

I could see it working if they still used some nitro in the blend, just traded one alcohol for another. Would still be more expensive, but run times could be better, haven't read anything that contradicts the run time argument. But a nitro-less fuel... color me skeptical. We've talked about airplane engines running on 0%, but a comparable sized plane engine runs at half the rmp of a car engine. The OS 2101 buggy engine RPM range is 4,000-42,000. The OS 25FX which is a sport/competition plane engine runs 19,000 on the high end of its range. Yet the 2101 puts out almost 3x the horsepower as the .25 at just below twice the rpm. Our buggy engines today are very impressive little mills and I don't think you'll get that power without having some nitro in the fuel.
I gathered from the article [ and I'm clearly not a molecular scientist ] - that the nitroless fuels would ultimately produce more power, the issue was the LAG from the current carb design, not taking advantage or working properly with the size of different fuel particles ... ???

If the new fuel compositions sans nitro - dont make it easier to get, safer to store - easier to ship etc ... why bother.

As my good buddy used to declare ...

"Have fun, Burn Nitro"

R.I.P. - Rob Bender II
Old 04-29-2015, 10:37 PM
Tech Champion

I agree with basically everything Apco said. Just more craze for novelty for novelty's sake, which will end up costing more. People seem to like being duped into spending more for what they perceive as an improvement just based on something being new and different. Leave nitro alone.
Old 04-30-2015, 03:37 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Herrsavage
I agree with basically everything Apco said. Just more craze for novelty for novelty's sake, which will end up costing more. People seem to like being duped into spending more for what they perceive as an improvement just based on something being new and different. Leave nitro alone.
hmmm agreed... + what i said
Old 04-30-2015, 06:09 AM
Tech Fanatic

Our current engines will run with 0%, but we lose the little bit of extra power the nitro gives us. Nitro also reduces the amount of compression and heat required to keep the engine running so nitro fuel makes the engine idle better as well.

I could be wrong about all of this. But I'm more of a if its not broke don't fix it guy.
One of the reasons 1/8 nitro off-road enjoys unrivaled popularity is because it has been such a stable class for so long. Unfortunately, there are groups about that insist upon "fixing something until it is broke". This, we as a using group must be aware of.

Originally Posted by Herrsavage
Agree. Leave nitro alone. There are bigger hogs in the environmental brush to kill than the insignificant environmental impact that nitro burning r/c's represent. This is where national and international sanctioning organizations come into play. We as individuals in the hobby are vulnerable without the lobbying force major sanctioning organizations can bring to bear in our hobby's defense.

'AC'
Old 04-30-2015, 07:02 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by AHR43
One of the reasons 1/8 nitro off-road enjoys unrivaled popularity is because it has been such a stable class for so long. Unfortunately, there are groups about that insist upon "fixing something until it is broke". This, we as a using group must be aware of.

Agree. Leave nitro alone. There are bigger hogs in the environmental brush to kill than the insignificant environmental impact that nitro burning r/c's represent. This is where national and international sanctioning organizations come into play. We as individuals in the hobby are vulnerable without the lobbying force major sanctioning organizations can bring to bear in our hobby's defense.

'AC'
There really isn't ANY environmental impact from it to begin with. Castor oil is a bio product, the alcohol and nitro both biodegrade. The only thing that is an issue is the synthetic oil and it is one of if not the smallest component of the fuel depending on the blend. And you HAVE to have oil in the fuel, thats a given regardless of the other ingredients.

I am only for a change in any rc product if it brings a true performance gain that justifies the price increase. Lipo's gained acceptance for this reason, true performance gain that matched the increase of the price. Long term I think Lipos are probably less expensive as a whole than the old "matched cell" packs of the past.

Anyway... Give me my methanol based Nitro awesomeness!
Old 04-30-2015, 07:09 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

how about diesel ? .. would smell
Old 04-30-2015, 07:30 AM
Tech Addict

The diesel ship sailed long ago. Anyone remember Davis Diesel? Apparently they still exist, make conversion kits for the Traxxas Revo. The video's on their website are... not impressive. Sounds like the engine reaches about 70% of the RPM of a true nitro engine. Speed and acceleration are equally unimpressive.

Again, if diesel offered true gain that justified the cost it would have been accepted. Free market wins again.
Old 05-01-2015, 05:20 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

just another marketing created "green" im so sick of the green movement being an advertising scheme for profit... im all for being conscious of my footprint on this earth but for fak sakes.. ethanol is horrible fuel for the real world, less mileage, eats away at fuel systems, gums up fast, goes stale fast, carbonizes more, subsidized farming keeping supply and demand checked and balanced... but its in most of the fuel we use to get to work, or play powersport..pure cocaine, cut with baby power..and sold as "eco".. now on a global scale, its getting in to r/c... cmon... a serious reinvention of the internal combustion engine on a profitable consumer scale is gonna take place, for r/c???? slide carbs still suck to this day!!! and havent changed in basic design since i started playing...

it hasnt happened in a real car, what money would be in it for a toy... unless traxxas takes over this niche like nitro...r/c is so behind, corperations are just wrapping there heads around gas powered...

bah... sorry, i like maxima stuff, i use it all day at work, but stop with the eco garbage, maxima is a huge chemical corporation... it burns, it smells, its not good, better, or "safer" than anything we already use...
Micah78 likes this.

Last edited by the wrench; 05-01-2015 at 05:34 PM.
Old 05-01-2015, 06:06 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Originally Posted by the wrench
just another marketing created "green" im so sick of the green movement being an advertising scheme for profit... im all for being conscious of my footprint on this earth but for fak sakes.. ethanol is horrible fuel for the real world, less mileage, eats away at fuel systems, gums up fast, goes stale fast, carbonizes more, subsidized farming keeping supply and demand checked and balanced... but its in most of the fuel we use to get to work, or play powersport..pure cocaine, cut with baby power..and sold as "eco".. now on a global scale, its getting in to r/c... cmon... a serious reinvention of the internal combustion engine on a profitable consumer scale is gonna take place, for r/c???? slide carbs still suck to this day!!! and havent changed in basic design since i started playing...

it hasnt happened in a real car, what money would be in it for a toy... unless traxxas takes over this niche like nitro...r/c is so behind, corperations are just wrapping there heads around gas powered...

bah... sorry, i like maxima stuff, i use it all day at work, but stop with the eco garbage, maxima is a huge chemical corporation... it burns, it smells, its not good, better, or "safer" than anything we already use...
Tell me about it..... The vast, vast majority of the world's fuel supply goes to powering cargo ships (granted its low-grade bunker fuel, making their pollution even worse). But it's us minions will that feel the brunt of any restrictions and price hikes. Goes for a number of things. Private residents in California consume just 4% of their water supply. Agriculture consumes almost all of it. Yet god forbid you're the guy washing his car on a Wednesday afternoon..
Old 05-01-2015, 07:10 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Last edited by YANMAN; 05-01-2015 at 07:27 PM.
Old 05-01-2015, 08:48 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Shawn_S
Tell me about it..... The vast, vast majority of the world's fuel supply goes to powering cargo ships (granted its low-grade bunker fuel, making their pollution even worse). But it's us minions will that feel the brunt of any restrictions and price hikes. Goes for a number of things. Private residents in California consume just 4% of their water supply. Agriculture consumes almost all of it. Yet god forbid you're the guy washing his car on a Wednesday afternoon..
You're figures are slightly off.

50% environmental
40% agricultural
10% urban

http://www.ppic.org/main/publication_show.asp?i=1108
Old 05-01-2015, 08:56 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The diesel ship sailed long ago. Anyone remember Davis Diesel? Apparently they still exist, make conversion kits for the Traxxas Revo. The video's on their website are... not impressive. Sounds like the engine reaches about 70% of the RPM of a true nitro engine. Speed and acceleration are equally unimpressive.

Again, if diesel offered true gain that justified the cost it would have been accepted. Free market wins again.
You do know that model glow engines are technically diesel engines right. Because of they are high compression and the glow plug is not a spark plug and that it acts a catalyst. Ive actually seen one of these engines fire up with out the glow igniter attached!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.