Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Best way to test tanks? >

Best way to test tanks?

Best way to test tanks?

Old 04-17-2015, 12:36 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Best way to test tanks?

Seems like all the tanks I get on Ebay are all crap.

I bought a bunch of tanks (new) that were removed from LX2 RTRs and I can't use any of them. Engines just won't run with them. I don't understand why. I even cut one open and couldn't find any reason for it.

Just recently, I got some Hyper 7 tanks removed from brand new Hyper 7 TQs. Both of the engines I have hooked up to these tanks seem to just mysteriously lean occasionally. It's like an off and on thing. I tried all kinds of stuff like new fuel lines, experimenting with the lengths of the hoses, new exhaust O-rings in case it was a pressure thing and one of them even got a new carburetor.

After all that, the problem seems to still be there.

So I'm wanting to know of all the different ways to test tanks.

I found a leak seeker tool on Amain. I don't know if that's just a gimmick or if it might actually be good.
Old 04-17-2015, 03:09 AM
Tech Master

I just close the lid & blow air through the pressure line while blocking the fuel to carb line, that way if any air is leaking through the lid you can tell pretty easily.
Most tank lids have an adjustment screw under the lid so you can tighten it to expand the o-ring seal so it makes the lid seal properly. You could also submerge the tank in water while doing this & if the lid is leaking, or some other part of the tank, you will see bubbles coming out.
Old 04-17-2015, 06:44 AM
Tech Addict

Umm maybe the tank isn't the problem, bad front engine bearing, leak somewhere on motor. Hairline crack in block? Just find hard to believe all these tanks are bad. A buddy of mine had a leak finder kit for the motor, not sure where he got it. Never seen it in use. I think it put motor under a vacuum or maybe it pressurized it not sure. He said it worked great. His motors did run good after he stared using it.
Old 04-17-2015, 11:41 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Empty so you don't end up with a mouth full of Nitro
Old 05-09-2015, 09:27 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I just wanted to give an update on this.

I found what this problem was. On both cars I am using the Hyper 7 tanks, I was running about 7 - 8" of pressure line.

I decided to try a longer line there so I switched it for about 11" on my Hyper 7 and the problems are now completely gone. My Hyper 7 has never run better.

So I switched it on my other car to about 10 - 11" and that too now no longer gets lean at higher RPMs.

I ran tank after tank after tank and the issue these cars were always having is now completely gone.

Turns out that particular tank needs a longer pressure line.
Attached Thumbnails Best way to test tanks?-dsc01364.jpg   Best way to test tanks?-dsc03166.jpg