Wiki Posts
Search

1/8 scale Buggy/Truggy Racing HELP

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 07:15 PM
Tech Rookie

Default 1/8 scale Buggy/Truggy Racing HELP

Hi there,

My name is Michael- Recently getting back into the hobby, used to race 1/8 scale buggies when i was little (ofna lx2 comp), and have been looking at getting back into 1/8 scale racing (just casually), but want to stay at a reasonable price range.

Originally was set on the new ofna Hyper SS, but found out this would be illegal in most classes due to the .28 engine size and tank, as well as noncompetitive due to high weight.

Since then I'd about made my mind up on the JQ product The Car RTR due to its low cost, high degree of upgradability with the pro kit parts, race legal engine size, higher quality servos, and half lb lighter weight.

However, I've been keeping an eye on craigslist hoping a used Losi 8ight or Mugen might pop up instead. I found this:

houston.craigslist.org/tag/4941297761.html

which seems like a great deal but I'm a little skeptical. Also, would the alpha .21 be underpowered for a truggy size? I realize its the same exact engine in the JQ, but the buggies are considerably smaller. I've never raced truggies before, but would not be opposed to trying it if you think I should pull the trigger. NEED ADVICE. thanks!
Old 04-01-2015, 12:13 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

The JQ RTR is definitely a good value. I don't think you would be making a bad decision there. The truggy looks ok. Depends on price. That is not the same engine as the JQ and will have MORE than enough power.
Old 04-01-2015, 12:37 PM
Tech Adept

I would keep a eye out for a mbx6r. Ive seen some go pretty cheap rtr and there will still be parts floating around for another few more years. It is still a great chassis for club racing!
Old 04-01-2015, 12:45 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

just a suggestion that I got from a lot of nitro guys, when you go to buy used, go for a roller or at least, don't buy the engine used unless you feel confident in the person who had it before.
Old 04-01-2015, 01:05 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Looks like you're in Houston. Check out www.rcfiles.com
It's where all the Texas people hang out, you can find some good deals there from local racers.
Old 04-01-2015, 03:18 PM
Tech Rookie

Thanks for the input! and yep I'm at school in Austin but live in Houston.

Checked out that forum and saw someone near san antonio was selling 2 mugens, an mbx6e and mbx5 both rtr as a package for 550 total, including starter box and a ton of spare parts. Seems rather tempting, but I'm skeptical on the age of the mbx5's. Are mbx6/7 parts even backwords compatible?

whatcha think?
Old 04-01-2015, 04:46 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TheScapeGoat

Checked out that forum and saw someone near san antonio was selling 2 mugens, an mbx6e and mbx5 both rtr as a package for 550 total, including starter box and a ton of spare parts. Seems rather tempting, but I'm skeptical on the age of the mbx5's. Are mbx6/7 parts even backwords compatible?

whatcha think?
Dont go MBX5, its way dated and parts supply is harsh. Really need at least a 6. Even the MBX7's go for about $200/250 used here. Like others have said, look for a roller or a SMOKING deal with parts and quality servos. Used motors are usually a no no for me but we do have some very reputable sellers on here so you just have to look out.

You should be able to put together a new/used nitro buggy for around $600/$700.
Old 04-01-2015, 05:52 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TheScapeGoat

whatcha think?
Are you looking to race in SA? If so, don't discount truggy as it is seriously picking up... 7-8 regulars now and some good competition. I'm in Buda and race in SA (buggy and truggy).
Old 04-01-2015, 07:53 PM
Tech Rookie

Won't likely be racing in SA anytime soon, just got an internship with Eaton up in Grapevine by Dallas, so I'm really looking into racing in that area at least over summer. Good chance I'll do one or two in Houston area then as well since I'll be visiting frequently, maybe try Thornhill when I'm back in school next semester.

Anyway, I think I'm leaning toward the JQ unless something pops up soon. I'm sure its a step below the pro kit type cars, but from what I've read its considerably more race worthy than the ofna's and duratrax and are much more upgradable with the JQ white/yellow edition parts available.

Though I will say, part of me has started to itch for the truggies. Emailed the poster of that losi but haven't heard back. I also emailed someone else who had a losi 3.0 t with a novarossi n21r for 450, but see where you're coming from on the used engine warning, and would figure I'd want at least a .28 for something heavier like that anyway. Are the truggies even commonly raced now? Back when I was racing truggies were almost entirely unheard of-
Old 04-01-2015, 08:00 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

if your goal is racing you dont want a Ofna...lol
Old 04-01-2015, 08:08 PM
Tech Rookie

yeah that's what I've been reading- from the stats they are super heavy too. When I raced I did fine usually mid-upper pack with my ofna but that was just in a novice friday night class and was only 12-13 years old. Honestly anything nicer probably wouldn't have made much difference at my driver level then.
Old 04-01-2015, 09:54 PM
Tech Regular

If your just trying to get going you can't go wrong with just buying the current car from Kyosho,Mugen,Losi,Tekno,or JQ. Any of those will be competitive when you get the hang of things again and if you decide to not keep racing the current model from all those companies will sell. I'd buy Kyosho but that's just me...lol
Old 04-01-2015, 09:58 PM
Tech Regular

Also no matter what you run buggy or truggy you want a .21 motor the .21 race engines are just way better than the bigger ones you are talking about. A good .21 made by a top company like Novarossi or OS will be more than you will need trust me
Old 04-01-2015, 10:44 PM
Tech Rookie

Heard bad things about the stock servos for the kyosho rtr's, any truth to that? and probably wont build a kit/roller unless its a used higher end for cheap, so i'm looking in the upper 300 lower 400 dollar range probably.

how are the alpha .21's in the jq? can't find any output numbers on them which is concerning.

as it is i could get the jq or the kyosho neo 2.0 for 325 at amain, same exact price actually

Last edited by TheScapeGoat; 04-01-2015 at 11:05 PM.
Old 04-02-2015, 07:40 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

If you're thinking about the Kyosho rtr, id look at the mp9 readyset, its more expensive then the Neo2, but its just a cheaper version of their current race spec vehicle, so you could potentially change out the rtr bits for kit bits and end up with a TKI3 eventually. Just my thoughts

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.