1/8 scale Buggy/Truggy Racing HELP

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

1/8 scale Buggy/Truggy Racing HELP

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2015, 09:31 AM
Tech Rookie

The mp9 is a little out of the price range but if I did go that route I would also then be looking at the Team associated car as well
Old 04-03-2015, 07:39 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Gavel
If you're thinking about the Kyosho rtr, id look at the mp9 readyset, its more expensive then the Neo2, but its just a cheaper version of their current race spec vehicle, so you could potentially change out the rtr bits for kit bits and end up with a TKI3 eventually. Just my thoughts
I agree.
As far as RTR's go, The mp9 is one of the better ones out there.
Old 04-03-2015, 07:27 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

i would strongly suggest saving up for the better kit, you get what u pay for, and if it takes another 2 weeks or a month to get the extra money, i feel you would be happier in the long run, especially, as i said, the mp9 readyset can become a tki3 eventually, where the neo2 cannot, at least not without major modification
Old 04-04-2015, 10:17 AM
Tech Rookie

Thanks for the tips guys. Went with the JQ rtr. Technically I could have afforded a better kit; money wasn't really a problem, but wasn't ready to make that big of an investment in case I don't end up sticking with it for whatever reason.

What sold me was how upgradable the car is, so i can slowly make it more race worthy, even if its more costly the cost will be spread out long term so i think it makes more sense for someone still testing the waters. And also jq seems like a cool dude w/ good customer support so that contributed.

Ordered it at A main last night along with kyosho's nitro starter kit, a hot standard glow plug, and air filter oil. With shipping and tax totaled at only 380. Seemed like a hell of a deal. Comes in Friday. Thoughts??
Old 04-04-2015, 11:50 AM
Tech Regular

So what about the Jq white edition, tekno n48 or tki13? Open for suggestion meaning other brands. I hear that the tekno is bullet proof. Oh by the way I am only in the market for a buggy.
Old 04-04-2015, 11:03 PM
Tech Rookie

Well, obviously I've been out of touch with all of this stuff for years and am still catching up, but here's what i got from reading.

the jq white was their first kit, and the yellow is the sequel to the white, updated and so forth. Both are considerably higher price than the rtr, even though they don't come assembled or with any motor/electronics.

However, the rtr is supposed to have over 50% of the same parts as the pro kit, so not quite the same level, but pretty respectable!
Old 04-05-2015, 05:39 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TheScapeGoat
Well, obviously I've been out of touch with all of this stuff for years and am still catching up, but here's what i got from reading.

the jq white was their first kit, and the yellow is the sequel to the white, updated and so forth. Both are considerably higher price than the rtr, even though they don't come assembled or with any motor/electronics.

However, the rtr is supposed to have over 50% of the same parts as the pro kit, so not quite the same level, but pretty respectable!
stumbled on this thread and saw you got a jq, Congrats!! to clarify, the white edition is the latest kit, the rtr is based on the original "the car"... so you dont get confused, the original "the car", the yellow edition, the 2013 wide edition and the Ecar, ALL share the same suspension arms, bulkheads, diffs, shock towers, steering parts... the white only shares the Wide edition chassis, bulkheads, diffs and driveshafts...totally different suspension from the arm holders out, shocks and towers too

ill level with you... dont worry about any upgrades, only these items listed gave me problems, just run the rtr, and cater it as you wear it in...

first thing that will break are the gold steering knuckles, the front plastic suspension arm holder for the front diff case has a metal insert that gets tweaked, the shocks use clips instead of threaded collars (work fine and are smooth out the box, just a convenience thing) the radio sucks but is to be expected, but other than that, i broke a front bulkhead where the front upper plate bolts to it, i found the screws to be short so i ran longer ones and have yet had a break again... swap the screws off the bat and should be fine for gallons

later on, all the outdrives and dogbones need to go, the front cvds lasted pretty well, nothing else has broke, i put hours and gallons through my rtr, and it really held its own well... check out the gigantic thread on here dedicated to the RTR... i converted mine to a ebuggy as my white edition is now my dedicated nitro buggy

have fun, and enjoy some of the best DIRECT customer service imaginable... you have any issues, just email em direct, they are here to make sure your covered.... and part of the green army!..
Old 04-05-2015, 10:18 AM
Tech Regular

So what's a good buggy kit
Old 04-06-2015, 11:57 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by lighttravler
So what's a good buggy kit
I would totally wait for the AE RC8 (what ever the name is going to be)
Old 04-06-2015, 07:33 PM
Tech Rookie

thanks for clearing that all up. I went ahead and bought nitro from a local shop, so when it comes in friday i should be good to break it in and fire it up! I think ive got the correct charger for the battery pack, but i'm not quite sure
Old 04-07-2015, 07:55 AM
Tech Regular

Thanks token you help make my decision I will wait on the new AE rc8.3. I kind of was wanting something new up to date like really this year 2015 kit. This will be my first nitro buggy.